Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Insulation needs

Guys,

I am new to the hammock camping world and had a request for experiences regarding top insulation. I have recently purchased a HG 20 Incubator for my UQ. I will be through hiking the Foot Hills Trail in September and the average temps for the area in Sept. are 86f daytime and mid 60's during the night. What level of top insulation would you recommend. Hammock Gear is having another 15% off sale and I figured if I need a TQ for the trip, now would be a good time to go ahead and order it.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Riley

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rnelson989 View Post
    I will be through hiking the Foot Hills Trail in September and the average temps for the area in Sept. are 86f daytime and mid 60's during the night. What level of top insulation would you recommend.
    I find a 20* and a 40* make a great all season combo. The 40* can be used in summer and is not too warm in 60F weather. If it is 70* or 80* at night then just a shirt and partially covered by the 40* is fine.
    The 40* will also be good for that occasional dip into the upper to mid 30's with clothing. If mid-30* and below you have the 20*. If you are wintering the combo of both the 20* and the 40* together will get you to below 10* perhaps a little lower. I did just fine at -6F using two 20*bags one inside the other.

I find the 50* about useless. mid-60's and up you can usually get away with just clothing and a light jacket. So I find that 50F to 65F range a bit limiting for the cost. where a 40F or little lower will cover a broader temp range.

anyway... my thoughts.
    Last edited by jeff-oh; 03-26-2020 at 11:27.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    I find a 20* and a 40* make a great all season combo. The 40* can be used in summer and is not too warm in 60F weather. If it is 70* or 80* at night then just a shirt and partially covered by the 40* is fine.
    The 40* will also be good for that occasional dip into the upper to mid 30's with clothing. If mid-30* and below you have the 20*. If you are wintering the combo of both the 20* and the 40* together will get you to below 10* perhaps a little lower. I did just fine at -6F using two 20*bags one inside the other.

I find the 50* about useless. mid-60's and up you can usually get away with just clothing and a light jacket. So I find that 50F to 65F range a bit limiting for the cost. where a 40F or little lower will cover a broader temp range.

anyway... my thoughts.
    I cut corners on both and use one 30 degree quilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    I am just starting with gathered-end stuff, but I only have a 40* UQ so far. I plan on getting a UQ protector to add another 5* and give me some stacking options if I got caught unprepared.
    Oooh, shiney! What does THIS button do?

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post

anyway... my thoughts.
    Pretty much my thinking as well.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    A 40f TQ will pair nicely at those temps and below. I use EE's Revelation. Carried me to 29 w/ the 20f UQ!!!!

The 20f UQ is the key.

Thank you all very much!

I was concerned with the logic of a 20 degree UQ in such warm temps but, I guess I can always adjust my suspension and vent as needed. Was briefly thinking of getting a Phoenix 40 degree UQ to save on the weight but I think I'd be better off getting the 40 degree TQ and just pair that with the incubator I already have.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    For me, I’ve found that 2 sets of quilts cover all my needs in the Great Lakes area. A 40 degree set, and a zero degree set in my case.

Based on the temp range you’re talking about, a 40 degree TQ should be fine for your September trip. Wouldn’t be a bad idea to take advantage of the sale and pick up a both TQ & UQ 40 degree, since they are fairly low cost anyway...Then down the road you pick up a 20 degree TQ and you can really expand your seasonal range by having a set of both TQ & UQ in 20 & 40 degree ratings.

And hey, the economy needs the boost so you’ll be doing your part

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rnelson989 View Post
    Thank you all very much!

I was concerned with the logic of a 20 degree UQ in such warm temps but, I guess I can always adjust my suspension and vent as needed. Was briefly thinking of getting a Phoenix 40 degree UQ to save on the weight but I think I'd be better off getting the 40 degree TQ and just pair that with the incubator I already have.
    The back and butt are the number one problems re: cold in hammocks, so I like to be more aggressive for that area. I have oft been surprised at what kind of temps I can- maybe not sleep, but hang a while- with nothing but clothing- or maybe a jacket- on top. In fact, I have slept warm enough all night in the high 40s with an HH Super Shelter supplying back warmth, and just sleeping in my insulated clothing.

OTOH, if my back is cold, no amount of top side insulation is going to get the job done. I have actually been on the verge of sweating on top, while to cold on my back and too uncomfy to sleep. I sometimes think that hammocks almost seem like AC systems for the back. Probably not really, but seems like it sometimes. One thing is for sure: whatever the temp is, I need at least as much insulation + a bit on bottom as I do on top. I figure one reason for this is that even with a good tarp pitch, there is always a bit more air circulation going on down under my hammock than there is up top, closer to the tarp RL. Maybe that is one reason. The other might be that my sleep clothing- which is sometimes also puffy clothing- ofts fully on top of me bt gets flattened under me, providing very little additional insulation. Although, I suspect synthetics in general and fleece specifically compress a good bit less than my down clothing.

Any way, IMO, seems both more difficult and more important( a bit anyway) to keep that backside warm in a hammock than the top. And having a back that is overheating is way less common for me than being too hot on top. Way less.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-27-2020 at 20:29.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    A 40f TQ will pair nicely at those temps and below. I use EE's Revelation. Carried me to 29 w/ the 20f UQ!!!!

The 20f UQ is the key.
    Bingo!

UQ is far more important. You can add clothing to augment TQ but it's a lot harder to compensate for inadequate UQ.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast