Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Quote Originally Posted by rnelson989 View Post
    Thank you all very much!

I was concerned with the logic of a 20 degree UQ in such warm temps but, I guess I can always adjust my suspension and vent as needed. Was briefly thinking of getting a Phoenix 40 degree UQ to save on the weight but I think I'd be better off getting the 40 degree TQ and just pair that with the incubator I already have.
    As an addendum to my prior post, I have a 40f UQ too. I was thinking of versatility of just one quilt.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    As an addendum to my prior post, I have a 40f UQ too. I was thinking of versatility of just one quilt.
    I'm operating under the general assumption "if I could have only one....."

Personally, I'm in the 0-20-40 "camp" and pick/choose accordingly. And I have long and short 20deg quilts. AND I have used 0deg up to 57°F (bizarre weather forecast!) and avoided overheating by venting or removing TQ. Aside from weight/volume concerns, UQ rating is not so critical regards to overheating.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Well, as a she hanger and someone who has lived in a cold climate my experience has been to insulate the heck out of what I am sleeping on. With my first hammock back in 2004 I used a sheep skin. Then I found Hammock Forums, I moved to my trusty USA Poncho Liner from the Vietnam era. As Hammock Forums first members evolved new innovative ways to keep the cold butt at bay I started using a UQ, I went with full length not the short version for the weight conscious.

I now use a 0* UQ. I do live and hang mainly on the West Coast in non-arid region.

Whatever is under me is my primary heat keeper in. I add or subtract what is on top of me and what I wear to sleep in. I have not hung in temperatures over 100*F, I have never needed to vent the UQ, I have removed the UQP due to condensation.

Your hammock acts like a swamp cooler does, air goes under and cools things. I like the 20*F quilts but I do get cold when my respiration slows way down, the 0*F gives me a bit of extra insulation.

In my experience the TQ is the quilt to adjust (which is easy if you are too warm, hang a foot out or both feet, leave your shoulders bare, be naked).

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12