Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    The "classic" soft shackles will definitely work and the cool factor is out the wazoo.

However (you knew that was coming ) what I found is that they could be quite difficult to release, particularly in the winter after hanging on them all night. The constrictor part would cinch up very tightly around the base of the diamond knot and it was hard to open it up, even bare-handed and especially while wearing gloves, even thin liner type gloves.

HYOH and all that, but I came to vastly prefer the Evo loop. (Or just a slipped buntline tied in the webbing for shorter hangs/smaller trees.)
    Agreed.. I have switched to Evo loops on my tree straps at the tree end. I have them in New England Rope Endura 12, Dynaglide and Amsteel.. Amsteel for winter as they are far more glove friendly.

One thing you can do to help release the soft shackle is add a handle. Once the shackle is done, pull the loop end as far out of the bury as you can.. so open the locking eye as large as possible. Take a piece of fishing line about eight inches long, fold it in half and splice it through the leg that gets milked back into the bury, leaving the two tag ends sticking out the top of the bury. Tie an overhand knot in those tag ends. When the shackle is set, the fishing line will be sticking out the top of the bury.. pull the fishing line to open the eye.

That probably makes no sense... I'll find a picture.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    The "classic" soft shackles will definitely work and the cool factor is out the wazoo.

However (you knew that was coming ) what I found is that they could be quite difficult to release, particularly in the winter after hanging on them all night. The constrictor part would cinch up very tightly around the base of the diamond knot and it was hard to open it up, even bare-handed and especially while wearing gloves, even thin liner type gloves.

HYOH and all that, but I came to vastly prefer the Evo loop. (Or just a slipped buntline tied in the webbing for shorter hangs/smaller trees.)
    This is the same reason I, too, have moved away from the soft shackle. Luckily for me I met Mary Ann of Autumn Ultralite, and was introduced to the Brummell Loop. or is it a BEVO loop. I like that even more than the EVO loop. The Brummell Loop will attach to the tree strap with a single larkshead and the Brummell creates the capture loop for the knot. Less line needed and makes for a clean look.

But yes, HYOH.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    This is the same reason I, too, have moved away from the soft shackle. Luckily for me I met Mary Ann of Autumn Ultralite, and was introduced to the Brummell Loop. or is it a BEVO loop. I like that even more than the EVO loop. The Brummell Loop will attach to the tree strap with a single larkshead and the Brummell creates the capture loop for the knot. Less line needed and makes for a clean look.

But yes, HYOH.

Geez... why didn't I think of that... so simple.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123