Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Have fun practicing and developing ways to get the job done! I like the S-hook idea.

Images
    I've found it easier for me to follow a printed illustration to tie button knots.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    This video was a great help for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNlgAqo0cc8

I learned the diamond knot during my Whoopie Sling phase but was never a fan of the two tails. I like the Button Knot because the two tails disappear.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    This is true! Which is why I no longer rig up the tarp RL to the point that it's banjo-string tight. Still pretty taut, but a little "give" in there. Early on in my hammock learning curve I did not anticipate this possibility.
    If you take your tarp down in the morning and the ridge line is looser than it was when you set it up, you likely set it up too tight. A little slack isn't a horrible thing.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    This video was a great help for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNlgAqo0cc8

I learned the diamond knot during my Whoopie Sling phase but was never a fan of the two tails. I like the Button Knot because the two tails disappear.
    Here's an alternative way to handle the two tails on the diamond knot. Leave long tails coming out of the top of the knot. Hang on the knot once or twice to get it to set. Then take the two tails where they exit the top of the diamond knot and splice a locked brummel in them. And then, splice one leg through the core of the second. You'll have a nice neat single tail sticking out and the locked brummel will guarantee the tails can't be sucked through the knot.

Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    You don't necessarily need to be able to tie a button knot to make a small Evo Loop. Just use a bead instead. Or a T-stopper.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    If you can bend these hooks with a pliers they are quite vulnerable to bending as the trees sway. I've seen all sorts of makeshift hooks either bend or snap in half the first time two trees sway in opposite directions.
    Hadn't thought of that.

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    You don't necessarily need to be able to tie a button knot to make a small Evo Loop. Just use a bead instead. Or a T-stopper.
    Hadn't thought of that either.

Every time I come to this site, I read something else that gets my brain working and then my fingers and gear want to follow. I've had to order more line recently because of all the splicing tips and tricks I've been tinkering with. I guess that's the idea, isn't it? Try a lot ... keep what works for you.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    That’s part of the fun.. keep trying different options. That’s how new ideas are born and how old ideas are reborn!!

After trying all kinds of hardware at both ends of the tarp ridge line I’ve settled on the diamond knot / figure eight splice at both ends. I went back to a CRL for a few hang’s (that’s where I started years ago) and prefer split RLs with the diamond knots and a ucr for adjusting. Nothing to bend or break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    If you can bend these hooks with a pliers they are quite vulnerable to bending as the trees sway. I've seen all sorts of makeshift hooks either bend or snap in half the first time two trees sway in opposite directions.
    I see that you're spot on, MikekiM. I just read this recent HF thread discussing biner failure on a tarp CRL during strong winds. Great example of the stresses on the hardware that wind can cause. I now appreciate why one would want strong (Ti) hardware even for a tarp that doesn't weigh much.

That energized me to take michigandave and jeff-oh's advice to try my hand at splicing a soft shackle. Here are my first attempts using 7/64th Amsteel and a diamond knot. They're larger than I anticipated (about 5" diameter), but I think they're pretty decent for a first attempt.

sof-shackles.JPG

I'm planning to use these to replace the D-rings on my tree straps. I've been using 12kN D-rings which are plenty strong enough, but like most back country backpackers, I'm always looking for ways to shave weight. My soft shackles are 4g each compared to 21g each for the D-rings.

Now that I think I've got the hang of it, I'm going to try to make a smaller one out of zing-it for my tarp CRL and will scrap my homemade "dog tag" dutch hook for that purpose. I did, however, make four to attach to the shock cords I've added to my tarp doors. They're perfect for quickly hooking the doors open and closed. I figure that there shouldn't be too much stress at those points.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    The "classic" soft shackles will definitely work and the cool factor is out the wazoo.

However (you knew that was coming ) what I found is that they could be quite difficult to release, particularly in the winter after hanging on them all night. The constrictor part would cinch up very tightly around the base of the diamond knot and it was hard to open it up, even bare-handed and especially while wearing gloves, even thin liner type gloves.

HYOH and all that, but I came to vastly prefer the Evo loop. (Or just a slipped buntline tied in the webbing for shorter hangs/smaller trees.)
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    ... what I found is that they could be quite difficult to release, particularly in the winter after hanging on them all night ...
    Good to know! I'll give the EVO loop a go (and the button knot too!). More stuff to try! Yay!

Thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast