Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Day 8 in a hammock. Quarantined and symptomatic

I was planning, still planning, a sectional hike of the GA AT in May. IÂ’ve had my hammocks for daytime fun for 4 yrs other than a 1 nite trial 3 years ago.

I just put them on my patio at my new home about 10 days ago. I never thought this next thing would happen. A co-worker went home ill and I found out there was a boyfriend of hers who was also ill and apparently had contact with a person positive with coronavirus at Buckley Air Force base. What are the chances? I had a flu shot 2 months ago.

So self-quarantined on my patio, in my hammock and it is fabulous! After I recover I can mix with my family again but IÂ’ll have fond memories (sorta) of this experience and this makes me feel even better prepared for hammocking in the woods.

I did develop symptoms a few days ago. Low fever (100.x), then some slightly noticeable breathing changes, very mild aches, and today a little cough. My PCP office (PA) said no testing available and stay put unless conditions seem bad.

I love whoopie slings and my kids think thatÂ’s funny. They also think IÂ’m funny because IÂ’m tying a lot of different knots and playing with the tarps

Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Dutchware Half Wit
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 20* T
    Suspension
    Straps
    I hope your on the mend from this. Good for you for staying away and you get to hang in the hammock. God Bless
    The wishbone will never replace the backbone- Will Henry

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    Hang in there! (Pun intended) It is so weird how wide the range of severity is.

And... welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by Skytow; 03-25-2020 at 06:42.
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Sorry to hear about the affliction and hope you are feeling better. It sounds like you have ferreted out some silver linings already. I hope more come along as you continue to improve your health.
    Oooh, shiney! What does THIS button do?

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Best wishes to you, and hope you receover quickly. My family is working from home, but I work in a local hospital, and for now I am required to continue working on site. If I end up sick, I planned on the same kind of setup to isolate myself; hammock and tarp in the backyard.

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    Hopefully things will clear up before you start your sections hike. I know a couple of people who got off of the trail from their section hikes after the ATC put out their advisory. A lot of the small towns along the trail don't have the infrastructure to support their communities and hikers coming through.

Thanks everyone. I didn’t think about the small towns infrastructure around the AT so I’ll monitor that as the time gets closer.

Hammock
    Blackbird (Single layer)
    Tarp
    Z-Packs CF w/ door
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie / Cinch

+1 about monitoring situation in Georgia. Their health/emergency system cannot cope at their current rate of doubling every 3 days.

How are you attaching your hammock at home? I noticed the brick columns and it had me worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by alt.thomas View Post
    +1 about monitoring situation in Georgia. Their health/emergency system cannot cope at their current rate of doubling every 3 days.

How are you attaching your hammock at home? I noticed the brick columns and it had me worrying.
    Let me know what you think.D289F56A-569B-41E4-AAA5-BD43253013A8.jpeg

Hammock
    Blackbird (Single layer)
    Tarp
    Z-Packs CF w/ door
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie / Cinch

Quote Originally Posted by Siriusly View Post
    The problem is brick pillars are strong with vertical force but hammock is pulling horizontally. It may collapse the column.

This one claimed an Aussie: https://m.themorningbulletin.com.au/...nd-cr/3597988/

Another one in the news: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...mock-accident/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast