HG Zippered Bugnet
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dynaweave+fish hks

Whoopie Hook with 1/8” Amsteel

Putting together new suspension. I got some whoopie hooks & new straps and planned to use 1/8” for both my CL and Whoopie Sling. I just realized the only way it works is to put the whoopie hook on the CL between the bury ends (where it’s a single thickness). Any issues or experience with 1/8”? Before anyone gets carried away with the “7/64 is more than enough” - I’ll just say I had a CL failure once (from another manufacturer NOT Dutchware) already and just prefer to go with the thicker Amsteel. I’m a larger human and toss/turn thru the night so I like the idea of extra strength.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveling Man View Post
    Putting together new suspension. I got some whoopie hooks & new straps and planned to use 1/8” for both my CL and Whoopie Sling. I just realized the only way it works is to put the whoopie hook on the CL between the bury ends (where it’s a single thickness). Any issues or experience with 1/8”? Before anyone gets carried away with the “7/64 is more than enough” - I’ll just say I had a CL failure once (from another manufacturer NOT Dutchware) already and just prefer to go with the thicker Amsteel. I’m a larger human and toss/turn thru the night so I like the idea of extra strength.
    Did that loop fail because it got cut or was it just not spliced correctly? I am only 230 but I would trust 7/64 to a pretty high weight unless I didn't care about the weight if the suspension..
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Beetles, Whoopies
    What weight limits would you trust for 7/64 Amsteel CL and Whoopie slings? I ask because I am 320 and looking to tryout a whoopie sling and straps for my suspension.

Hammock
    HG Zippered Bugnet
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dynaweave+fish hks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Did that loop fail because it got cut or was it just not spliced correctly? I am only 230 but I would trust 7/64 to a pretty high weight unless I didn't care about the weight if the suspension..
    Cordage failure - nowhere near the splice or the contact point with the whoopie. It wasn’t one of yours. It came with my hammock. Surprised the heck out of me. I vary between 240-265 depending on my habits.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by preach View Post
    What weight limits would you trust for 7/64 Amsteel CL and Whoopie slings? I ask because I am 320 and looking to tryout a whoopie sling and straps for my suspension.
    I would trust 7/64th to 350. If weight of the suspension didn't matter then I thin go with 1/8th and it will never wear out.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Just my .02
    I have been using 7/64 cl from.dutch for well over a 100 hangs and I am 280lbs

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JacksRBetr 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB 20deg set
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    I'll join the group surprised about 7/64 failing. Doesn't matter if you're a big guy, most hammocks would fail before the whoopies. Still, if 1/8 makes you sleep easier, then I say go for it.

I just made a pair out of 1/8 because I wasn't looking carefully when I clicked. 1/8 is a tighter weave then 7/64, but still doable: Probably a snap with a fid, but not the only way. I tapered first and used a loop of wire (and a little persuasion) to pull it through. A properly tapered brummel splice is a beautiful thing, so it's worth the effort!

Not sure why it only works on the CL? I've put the hook on the whoopie's fixed loop and the adjustable loop; Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveling Man View Post

• + New Posts