Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG, HG, EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

850 vs. 950 full on a custom wooki

I'm looking to build a 20* custom wooki XLC and the price difference between the 850 and 950 fill is significant ($63) if I get no overfill. If I get 1oz of overfill, which I'm inclined to do, it's a $70 difference.

I'm not a thru hiker, but I am a weekend backpacker, and I do like to save weight where I can. I'm looking at maybe a little over 1oz weight savings, which is not worth the money to me, but I do like that it would be a little more compressible. I currently have a 20* wooki for my blackbird (regular, not an XLC) and it's pretty big to pack. I don't know how much of a difference that fill will make though.

Thoughts?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I save to $70 toward some other hammock trinket and go with the 850. You probably won't even notice the difference.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    I would personally do it because I don't think $63 is a big number but it's perspective, especially right now. If you don't care about an ounce it's probably not worth it. At the end of the day, all of will feel different. I always opt for the higher fill power because of weight but also performance. Will I notice either, probably not, but the psychological value is there for me.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
    Brady

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    When it comes to "stuff-ability" and total weight, the difference between 850 and 950 is almost negligible.

THE BIG DIFFERENCE is in the shell material! There is a HUGE difference between identical quilts made with 10D vs 20D shell. Most people who use 10D will tell you it's plenty durable. I have a 10D quilt that I have used for my dog and it's about 8 yrs old with nary a hiccup.

Also, I have an Enlightened Equipment Enigma made with 7D (!) inside and out and have found it to be just fine.

I don't know what WB's shell options are, but ask for the lightest they have, inside and out.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    THE BIG DIFFERENCE is in the shell material! There is a HUGE difference between identical quilts made with 10D vs 20D shell. Most people who use 10D will tell you it's plenty durable. I have a 10D quilt that I have used for my dog and it's about 8 yrs old with nary a hiccup.

Also, I have an Enlightened Equipment Enigma made with 7D (!) inside and out and have found it to be just fine.

I don't know what WB's shell options are, but ask for the lightest they have, inside and out.
    +1 !

I also have a 40° Enigma with 7D shells, plus a 50° LLG Operator Ghost Pepper with 7D shells, and man those compress down amazingly.

Warbonnet has 10D, 15D, and 20D fabric options for their quilts. When you're choosing a color, it will tell you which fabric it is.

With a Wooki, keep in mind there is the inner layer, which is basically the size of a full hammock, and there is the outer layer, which is more the size of a typical UQ outer shell. Point being, the Wooki uses a lot of fabric!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    I would probably do it, but then again maybe not as a Wooki wouldn’t be my choice if I was concerned with weight.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I am looking at getting custom Wookie the next time there is a sale and I am going to go with the 850 fill. As others have said, the weight savings is not there for the price
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    If money isn't an issue go for the 950 otherwise 850.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Can't comment on the wookie, but will tell you the stuffed size of the 950 isn't that great over the 850. The weight savings is what it is..

I redid all of my quilts in late 2019 and went for the 10D fabric with 950, from all HG Econs. The difference there was measurable, mostly due to the lighter fabric than the down fp, though the 950 certainly contributes to the smaller pack size.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    I agree with others that say the weight and volume savings “isn’t that much”. Although it isn’t zero either. So for your $63 you WILL reduce both of those factors over the 850.

I have never said to myself “I wish I would have gotten the lower fill power”. But I have said the opposite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast