UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps

Coronavirus forces changes in Michigan state park camping rules

The full article: https://www.mlive.com/life/2020/03/c...ing-rules.html

Article highlights:
    - State-managed lands, trails and parks remain open, and campgrounds currently open at state parks will remain open
    - state park headquarters buildings and contact stations are now closed to the public
    - plan to have a reservation before reaching the park because there may be limited access for self-check-in via cell phone if customers arrive without a reservation
    - Current reservation holders who want to modify their reservation to a date beyond May 15 can do so without incurring any fees
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 97 months

I figured that was coming. Gotta wonder what is next...

I always avoided the on line reservation system since they get you for an additional $9 service fee in addition to the $17 Backcountry campsite fee, depending on the park.

I'll stick to the NCT and get some use out of my $30 pass I bought for the Huron Manistee National Forest in Michigan. Already paid for it and less people.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    It takes a lot for me to jump through hoops just to go out and live in the woods like a homeless person. I'll do it on occasion when necessary, but I usually stick with parking, putting on my pack, and start hiking. I've spent almost 39 years of hard work to get this lazy; no one is going to ruin it for me now.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    They’re closing up shop here in fla too. Seems like a good idea to stop people from going to possibly the safest disease free areas that are available. It’s gettin weird out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    I think the point that those who think this is "silly" (in all of these threads) are not getting is that statistically the majority of people going to state parks are not there for hiking or "getting away from people". They are there to congregate in visitor centers, gift shops, camping areas, picnic areas or the natural features that may be a draw to a particular state park. You're generalizing based on your perspective. Maybe most of you are hikers and going out solo, or in very small groups of less than 4. Or mostly just in pairs. At least a lot of state parks are merely closing these areas and keeping the woods open via self serve or online registration.
    That's what they're doing here in IN. Trying to stop the group activities; hiking alone or as a family is always good for some fresh air.

Totally getting my social distancing on last night!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    I think the point that those who think this is "silly" (in all of these threads) are not getting is that statistically the majority of people going to state parks are not there for hiking or "getting away from people". They are there to congregate in visitor centers, gift shops, camping areas, picnic areas or the natural features that may be a draw to a particular state park. You're generalizing based on your perspective. Maybe most of you are hikers and going out solo, or in very small groups of less than 4. Or mostly just in pairs. At least a lot of state parks are merely closing these areas and keeping the woods open via self serve or online registration.
    I’m guessing this comment was aimed across my bow. The state and fed parks here in fla are open all day to whoever wants to use the parks and all the facilities. Just the camping and overnight use was shut down. Maybe you can shed some light on that. And “silly” wasn’t in any way shape or form the temperature of my comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Oregon on some "News" releases is closing State and county camp grounds and parks. In theory Federal Parks are closed and reservation s are not being accepted.
    I would try to clairify with BLM or whatever entity manages possible hanging sites.

At least Michigan has waived the recreation pass fee ($11 yearly per car), so those without them can at least get out and enjoy the park. I am a bit bummed that they closed the shooting ranges in the parks...

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    In Off Season, when Oregon closed their parks - at least Forest Service parks (don’t know about State Parks), I asked about usage. This is different from state to state, and could possibly change, but at the time I asked, I was told it was still okay to use the camp site. It was just that the restrooms would not be resupplied (but if simple “pit” type they could be open), any trash bins would not be emptied - so pack everything out. The one warning was not to park in front of a gate - you could get a ticket for that.

So if someone says a campsite will be closed, it’s not clear if they mean it can’t be used at all or if only that it won’t be maintained.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 03-20-2020 at 17:46.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post

So if someone says a campsite will be closed, it’s not clear if they mean it can’t be used at all or if only that it won’t be maintained.
    I was kind of surprised to find out you can camp in a federal campground even when it's "closed" in the winter. (at least in Michigan) I called to get some other info and she suggested that if I wanted. It would be kind of weird likely having that place to yourself.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast