Banyan bridge, BIAS gathered
    Tarp
    ZPacks w doors
    Insulation
    HG; JRB
    Suspension
    Straps & beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by drsolarmolar View Post
    Here’s something else I was wondering about the new Banyan—will the double ridgeline and therefore wider bugnet affect how the Banyan fits under a tarp? Will the tarp need to be set higher and/or spread wider to accommodate the wider bug net? I get the tarp will have to set wider to accommodate the hammock’s spreader bars, but the more vertical sides of the bugnet (vs the Ridgerunner’s more peaked shaped from only using a single pull out point) makes me think about how much volume it will require under a tarp.

I can see how using poles to hold the tarp open wider could do it, but there’s extra weight in those spreader poles.

Be neat to see some pics of the Banyan under a tarp to see how well it fits.
    You will be fine as long as you confirm that the spreader bar ends will not abrade your tarp as you get in and out of the Banyan. I trimmed and smoothed my ends to make them a bit less concerning in this regard. There is a post with pictures of this mod you can hunt down.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Hammock
    Amok Dramur
    Insulation
    EXPED Syn Mat 9
    Suspension
    Webbing Straps
    Images
    I received my Banyan last week, and I tried it out this weekend. I have a UGQ Winterdream tarp, with side pull outs for the external pole mods. I found by having one side a bit higher, I could get in on the opposite end without issue; if your backside in the Banyan 1/2 to 2/3 of its width when getting in, the spreader pole bars don’t go up high enough to touch the tarp. However, if I’m sitting right on the edge of the Banyan when getting in, the head end spreader bar would touch the tarp, even with the pull outs.

It seems that looking at the first version of the Banyan in videos, when compared to the most recent version, the spreader bars seem to be a little more rounded on the ends. Sorry I didn’t get any pictures, but just wanted to share those observations in case that helps. I’m also not remembering if my winterdream is an 11 foot or 12 foot (though the UGQ website says only offers 12 or 13, I did get it some years ago).

Additionally, I was able to get one set of doors fully closed, where I couldn’t get the opposite end doors closed. I positioned the tarp so that I would be able to close the head end. I could still angle the foot end doors for coverage, but was unable to snap them closed due to the suspension triangles on the Banyan.

Overall, it works. It’s not a perfect fit; however, it was a blustery weekend and I felt I still had good coverage and a decent amount of room under the tarp. I would personally like some covers that I can add to the spreader bars to make the ends broader and more blunt, just for safety sake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
    I would personally like some covers that I can add to the spreader bars to make the ends broader and more blunt, just for safety sake.
    I asked a question on the Banyan page about this and the response was that they are currently designing and testing a solution. More bling coming.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I don't have that kind of hammock, but would these help at all?
    https://www.fugal-innovations.com/pr...ridge-buttons/

Hammock
    Amok Dramur
    Insulation
    EXPED Syn Mat 9
    Suspension
    Webbing Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    I don't have that kind of hammock, but would these help at all?
    https://www.fugal-innovations.com/pr...ridge-buttons/
    When I looked over these as an option, the vids on YouTube by Spiguyver and Fugal show that there is a mod that have to take place to make these work (i.e. removing the metal hardware and integrating the buttons into the suspension lines). Personally, I’m not prepared for that one. Not ready to break the Banyan to “fix” it. Regardless, thank you for sharing it!

Hammock
    Amok Dramur
    Insulation
    EXPED Syn Mat 9
    Suspension
    Webbing Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman857 View Post
    I asked a question on the Banyan page about this and the response was that they are currently designing and testing a solution. More bling coming.
    Well, I’m happy to help in the testing phase if it moves things along! Hahahahaha. Thank you for the info.

Hammock
    Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drsolarmolar View Post
    Here’s something else I was wondering about the new Banyan—will the double ridgeline and therefore wider bugnet affect how the Banyan fits under a tarp? Will the tarp need to be set higher and/or spread wider to accommodate the wider bug net? I get the tarp will have to set wider to accommodate the hammock’s spreader bars, but the more vertical sides of the bugnet (vs the Ridgerunner’s more peaked shaped from only using a single pull out point) makes me think about how much volume it will require under a tarp.

I can see how using poles to hold the tarp open wider could do it, but there’s extra weight in those spreader poles.

Be neat to see some pics of the Banyan under a tarp to see how well it fits.
    Shug posted a video on the "It came a day early" thread. Shows the Thunderfly and Minifly tarps where he set them up over a Ridge Runner About the 5.20 minute mark. Looks very promising.
    I'm hoping to get out soon and play with it.

Hammock
    WBRR & Banyan
    Tarp
    Bonded Xenon Wide
    Insulation
    UGQ & Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
    When I looked over these as an option, the vids on YouTube by Spiguyver and Fugal show that there is a mod that have to take place to make these work (i.e. removing the metal hardware and integrating the buttons into the suspension lines). Personally, I’m not prepared for that one. Not ready to break the Banyan to “fix” it. Regardless, thank you for sharing it!

The metal hardware they are referring towards is the original WB RR I believe. The current RR does not have the same metal pieces any longer. Having said that, the bridge buttons do not work on the Banyan since there is not a loop there like with the RR.
    Last edited by Mescript; 04-02-2022 at 17:35.

Hammock
    Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Images
    So finally, the weather was good enough to get over to a nearby FP. Found a couple of trees not exactly optimal distance apart for a setup, but they were close enough. What a soggy mess it was but we do have a pretty high water table here.
    I set up the Mountain Fly tarp with the Hardware I had, I left the longer one piece ridge line I wanted to use at home thinking it was already packed up ready to go. The spread of the trees and girth was further than I'd like to of used but that's the way it goes sometimes.
    I have to say that comfort wise the Banyan is pretty nice. I'm 6'2" and 215lbs on a good day. Could of easily taken a nap. Set up will get better as I get more used to doing it. Bug net was riding high unlike last time I did a quicky setup in the yard from my truck rack to the garage door rails. Poles feel lighter than the poles from Quest I have which if I remember right are the Easton brand.
    I put my Mountain Fly tarp up over the Bayan pretty low and used the DAC pole mods from Dutchware. They seem very light. I'm not a gram counter.
    The foot end of the hammock cleared nicely but the head end didn't clear the sides of the tarp, but again I had it pretty darn low. Next time I'll have the ridgeline I meant to bring with. What I had was a two piece and the lines weren't long enough to make it from tree to tree. I tied some extra lengths of cord to the ridge line to reach the trees.
    Banyan Mountain Fly tarp set up storm mode .JPEGBanyan foot end under 11' Mountain Fly.JPEGBanyan Mountain Fly foot end clearence.JPEGBanyan Head end clearence from outside the tarp.JPEGBanyan Head end cleaence close up.JPEG
    If the tarp was set higher and I had remembered to bring the continuous ridgeline then set the spreader poles over it might get a slight higher lift to the ends of the tarp where the poles come out to. I do think this tarp set up will work for now but a wider and longer tarp will be a nice addition the Bayan. Drip lines will be needed.
    I also tried to figure out some way to use my Cedar Ridge full length 20 degree UQ but that'll need some more tweaking. The end channels fit nicely but the sides and bottom were loose. Further futzing around will be needed when I get more time and it's not raining. Pretty much the whole upcoming weeks weather so they say.

Hammock
    Amok Dramur
    Insulation
    EXPED Syn Mat 9
    Suspension
    Webbing Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Darbe View Post
    So finally, the weather was good enough to get over to a nearby FP. Found a couple of trees not exactly optimal distance apart for a setup, but they were close enough. What a soggy mess it was but we do have a pretty high water table here.
    I set up the Mountain Fly tarp with the Hardware I had, I left the longer one piece ridge line I wanted to use at home thinking it was already packed up ready to go. The spread of the trees and girth was further than I'd like to of used but that's the way it goes sometimes.
    I have to say that comfort wise the Banyan is pretty nice. I'm 6'2" and 215lbs on a good day. Could of easily taken a nap. Set up will get better as I get more used to doing it. Bug net was riding high unlike last time I did a quicky setup in the yard from my truck rack to the garage door rails. Poles feel lighter than the poles from Quest I have which if I remember right are the Easton brand.
    I put my Mountain Fly tarp up over the Bayan pretty low and used the DAC pole mods from Dutchware. They seem very light. I'm not a gram counter.
    The foot end of the hammock cleared nicely but the head end didn't clear the sides of the tarp, but again I had it pretty darn low. Next time I'll have the ridgeline I meant to bring with. What I had was a two piece and the lines weren't long enough to make it from tree to tree. I tied some extra lengths of cord to the ridge line to reach the trees.
    Banyan Mountain Fly tarp set up storm mode .JPEGBanyan foot end under 11' Mountain Fly.JPEGBanyan Mountain Fly foot end clearence.JPEGBanyan Head end clearence from outside the tarp.JPEGBanyan Head end cleaence close up.JPEG
    If the tarp was set higher and I had remembered to bring the continuous ridgeline then set the spreader poles over it might get a slight higher lift to the ends of the tarp where the poles come out to. I do think this tarp set up will work for now but a wider and longer tarp will be a nice addition the Bayan. Drip lines will be needed.
    I also tried to figure out some way to use my Cedar Ridge full length 20 degree UQ but that'll need some more tweaking. The end channels fit nicely but the sides and bottom were loose. Further futzing around will be needed when I get more time and it's not raining. Pretty much the whole upcoming weeks weather so they say.
    Maybe check out the thread I have going titled “Fitting UQ to Banyan”. Just Bill shared some great tips and a video on getting a good fit to a bridge style hammock. Best of luck with it!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast