Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Congratulations on not giving up after that first night. There are tent advocates (and tents do have some advantages) and there are hammock advocates (this forum). For me, it was a matter of comfort. Getting off the ground made all the difference - but it wasn’t immediate.

Your body has slept in a bed most its life. That is a particular environment that influences your sleep position because of the pressure points it creates. The hammock is different, weight is distributed differently. But your muscles don’t readily know that. So it might take a night or two for them to know they can relax. It absolutely helps if you can spend some afternoon time lounging in a hammock - just getting use to the different support.

The Draumr is a unique beast. There are plenty of GE (gathered end) hammocks and to a lessor extent you have bridge hammocks (spreader bars at the ends). Their common feature is a tarp is strung parallel with the hammock on the same trees. The tarp situation with the Dramur is different. Though it might cover the hammock itself, I don’t know if it also provides the free interior space you find in a GE situation. In porch mode (lifting up one side of the hammock with poles), I have a large dry space I can hang out in; I’m not confined to the hammock.

You mentioned a sleeping pad. Many hammocks can be DL (double layered) so they provide a sleeve the pad can slip, minimizing its shifting around. But if you really get into hammock camping, you will probably migrate to an under quilt (UQ) - like a half sleeping bag that is snugged up under the hammock. In a hammock your heat loss is primarily from below as air currents take heat away by convection. I am talking about GE and Bridge hammocks. I think the Draumr is strictly a “pad” hammock

It’s difficult to imagine a “bug net” with a grid wide enough for mosquitoes to crawl through. I’m glad you saw that was the cause of a lot of grief and not “hammock camping” itself.

As you are in Norway, I can’t advise products because I don’t know what you have available and/or additional complication and shipping costs from the USA. But I do encourage you to try out other hammock styles before you invest a lot of money in one. Or, understand that at sometime you may sell your first selection for a loss - the cost of education - and try something else.

One common desire for those new to hammocks is they want to get the “Best” or one tarp or quilt that will work for everything. But if they stop to think about other items in their life, they will see the world doesn’t work that way. Very few people have only one knife in their kitchen drawer. Or one plate in the cupboard. In my case, there are two environments - cold winter months, and milder spring/summer/fall. So the gear I have for winter is not what I’d use the other times. Also, with almost everything else, gear I started out with is not gear I used a year or so later. As I used the gear, and learned from others, I could see things like: Maybe I don’t really need a DL hammock because my UQ’s are enough - I don’t need the extra weight of the sleeve. Or maybe I do want a DL for my day hike hammock because mosquitoes are not supposed to be able to bite through the double layer from below. Do I want a built in bug net - that adds bulk and weight whenever I carry the hammock, or do I want a detachable net I can leave at home, or do I want to have to make the decision (to leave it home or not). Unlike your 6’2” self, for me, a thee quarter length under quilt gives me almost full coverage. So I don’t need to invest in a full length UQ.

I’m guessing that over time, your view of things will change. So right now, you are probably correct. With your height and tummy sleeping proclivity, the Draumr sounds like a pretty good fit. But I do hope you get to try other styles - remember, it might take a night or two to get use to something new because they have their own advantages that might work better with your style after some experience.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 04-23-2020 at 21:56.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    I have not been able yet to test an Amok, hopefully I will in the future. However, though quite expensive(mine was purchased used), I really like this hammock. It is probably the best one I have used for side sleeping. Probably quite similar to the Amok, with some pros and cons for each, as usual:
    http://www.hammocktent.com/en/pages/products

https://www.facebook.com/HammockTent

https://www.facebook.com/HammockTent...7627925/?t=269
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-23-2020 at 20:33.

Hammock
    WB XLC Blackbird double 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Just ordered a Amok XL today to give it a try. I like my Blackbird XLC, but being 6’5” tall and in the 330 to 350 lb range typically I am always looking to try new big man hangs. Hope you find one that suits you well

Hammock
    Warbonnet BBXLC
    Tarp
    Superfly + HG DFC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The more rigid you are in your hammock sleeping arrangements, the more expensive the hammock will be. Personally, I'm a side sleeper in a bed, but when I got a hammock, I didn't find that very comfortable.

I realized that I was going to have to learn a new way to sleep in a hammock, so I hung a hammock in my house and slept there every night for three or four months. Eventually, I learned to sleep on my back. So I was never so rigid that I couldn't learn something new. I just didn't want to get a bridge hammock because I didn't like much about them, especially the weight and cost. I'm more of a simple, gathered-end hammock with Fronkey bugnet kind-of guy.

So if you're not willing to invest the time to learn a new way of sleeping, then by all means buy a bridge hammock, or an Amok. A lot of people like them and don't mind the weight and cost!
    I did something similar to this, but just practiced sleeping on my back in bed. I'm a stomach sleeper and I practiced sleeping on my back for about a month before my last long 4 day drip.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12