Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
Follow Bill's advice, and don't hesitate to ask more specific questions as you work. There's sort of a standard maximum spreader bar length of 80% of the fabric width, so for 53" fabric, you could have 42" spreaders, which I think you'd find more comfortable. I'd suggest not doing recessed spreader bars for your first hammock. That will give you freedom to experiment with different spreader bar lengths and suspension triangles. One thing I've found when I've made longer hammocks for people much taller than me is that I like them, too. I still make my backpacking hammocks just long enough to save weight. You might give yourself the luxury of an added 6" in hammock length. The choice between a regular bridge with a 6" or so side cut and a PBH with straight sides is up to you. Both are good. One is easier to build than the other. They feel slightly different. (You know which I like.) The PBH may put more stress on the fabric, so a single 2.2 oz is a good idea. I actually like the feel of nylon better than polyester, though the occupant's weight probably affects the amount of stretch quite a bit. Dobby is half poly and half nylon. One of the main reasons I use it a lot is that it's calendered (therefore downproof). Don't even think about making your first hammock insulated with goosedown. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
What do you think about this:
Bridge Hammock -Design 2.JPG