Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies

Bridge Hammock Validation

All,

Looking for validation from those experienced Bridge builders on here. I am going to use some of this 'at home' time to build my first bridge and want some who have done it to validate that my measurements and assumptions are correct prior to ordering materials.

Bridge Hammock.JPG

For reference, I am 6'5" and 250+
    Thinking a 1.0 Hexon DOUBLE layer with a sewn webbing side suspension.
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    That looks like a fairly unpleasant bridge, specially fer a bigger fella.

What does 250+ mean exactly?

Around 200lbs I strongly suggest you bump up to .75" easton aluminum poles.
    And around 250lbs you should be looking at a 2.4 ounce hex 70 fabric or a double layer of 1.3 MTN as a minimum. Past 300lbs you need a double 1.6 or better a double 1.7 Mtn.

54" wide for 36" bars will mean a deep bridge, hard to get out of, with lots of shoulder squeeze for an average size fella and at best something the shorter person in your profile photo might find comfortable.

The side cut is likely too deep.
    The side curve appears to be an ellipse half- which isn't what you're looking for.

I coulda nicened that up a bit better perhaps... but best to be blunt and not tiptoe around it. Yer choo-choo is on the wrong track with that one.

I'd dig in with yer at home time and do a bit more research.

Typically you'll either want to scale up a 'Bic/Hiker Dad" bridge or try to do what FJRPilot did when he scaled up Grizz's ariel bridge. That's a tough project though to take on either way as free-form bridge design is a tough job at times. I can't recall who it was exactly (Dawn?) but someone did a few scaled up versions of a Bic bridge you might be able to find on here.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    That looks like a fairly unpleasant bridge, specially fer a bigger fella.

What does 250+ mean exactly?

Around 200lbs I strongly suggest you bump up to .75" easton aluminum poles.
    And around 250lbs you should be looking at a 2.4 ounce hex 70 fabric or a double layer of 1.3 MTN as a minimum. Past 300lbs you need a double 1.6 or better a double 1.7 Mtn.

54" wide for 36" bars will mean a deep bridge, hard to get out of, with lots of shoulder squeeze for an average size fella and at best something the shorter person in your profile photo might find comfortable.

The side cut is likely too deep.
    The side curve appears to be an ellipse half- which isn't what you're looking for.

I coulda nicened that up a bit better perhaps... but best to be blunt and not tiptoe around it. Yer choo-choo is on the wrong track with that one.

I'd dig in with yer at home time and do a bit more research.

Typically you'll either want to scale up a 'Bic/Hiker Dad" bridge or try to do what FJRPilot did when he scaled up Grizz's ariel bridge. That's a tough project though to take on either way as free-form bridge design is a tough job at times. I can't recall who it was exactly (Dawn?) but someone did a few scaled up versions of a Bic bridge you might be able to find on here.

250+ means somewhere between 246 and 256 depending on the week and the stress at work...

Appreciate the info. I will try doing more reading. I got most of the measurements from a series of older posts where Grizz had offered some comments. He had stated the 34" center width goal and height plus 6" for length. The double 1.0 is really not enough for 250ish, especially with a hex fabric? My WB XLC is a 1.7 if I recall correctly and I probably have 100 nights on it.
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    At 250lbs then...

A single layer of Hex 70 or Dobby 1.9 (WV's favorite) is a nice option.

Hexon 1.6 won't do it, Mountain 1.7 will hold up if you build right.

Double Mtn 1.3 is a decent sweet spot but keep in mind that you need a structural double layer. If you want a pad sleeve you need to sort that out separately as the pad changes the loading.

Short answer: You are not building a gathered end, you are building a bridge. A rough guide is 2/3rds of the gathered end rating applies to bridges.

A bridge puts much higher stress on fabric, and the type of bridge you build may increase that stress.

Could I (Or Grizz or WV or others) do a double layer 1.0 and make it work for 250lbs... quite possible.
    Could you? Maybe. But first time out of the gate without a proven design I'd prefer to prefer to think you'd rather not take the chance.

I think the Grizz notes you mentioned may have been related to a specific design he was trying. (He has dozens)
    That can make things frustrating for sure as it's easy to stumble on one of his threads along his journey in bridgemaking. If I may be so bold... the Ariel was an eventual destination he arrived at.

If I recall a Bic bridge is roughly 48" x 84" with 6" cuts... but I could be off on that. That's with a 36" bar.

As a newer person looking to modify things... WV's 'Peoples Bridge Hammock' is probably the ideal pattern to look at though.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-first-glimpse

There are a few others who posted builds/variations as well.

I don't give my pattern out at this time. I'd like to get the 10k or so it took to develop it back first...

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    I don't give my pattern out at this time. I'd like to get the 10k or so it took to develop it back first...
    LOL, I TOTALLY get that. I hadn't considered the difference between bridges and GEs from an engineering perspective, I have done lots of GEs. I VERY much appreciate the info. The double-layer idea was honestly just because I like the camo outside, solid inside look and have considered it quite adequate for a bigger guy. I haven't used a pad ever, I love my HG down quilts. I have done a few DL integrated bug net hammocks for others. I looked at the aerial design a year or two ago but never actually made one. Maybe I should relook at that one. I will definitely look at the .750 poles. This will be a truck camping set up with a Tensa style stand, not a hiking set up.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post
    LOL, I TOTALLY get that. I hadn't considered the difference between bridges and GEs from an engineering perspective, I have done lots of GEs. I VERY much appreciate the info. The double-layer idea was honestly just because I like the camo outside, solid inside look and have considered it quite adequate for a bigger guy. I haven't used a pad ever, I love my HG down quilts. I have done a few DL integrated bug net hammocks for others. I looked at the aerial design a year or two ago but never actually made one. Maybe I should relook at that one. I will definitely look at the .750 poles. This will be a truck camping set up with a Tensa style stand, not a hiking set up.
    If you think the Ariel is doable... FJR Pilot scaled one up to 40" wide .75" poles (thread around here) he was happy with. He's roughly your size.
    I'd say that's a doable minimum. My Big Guy poles are 43" wide with a 36" foot pole and I recess the bars a bit further than the Ariel so I get even more space.

Stick with Easton poles... but if it is a purely car camping setup then 1" pipe from the hardware store can save you a few bucks in an endbar model.
    In a recessed bar model... not a great plan as the pipe diameter gets big enough to rub the bridge body at it's weakest point.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    If you think the Ariel is doable... FJR Pilot scaled one up to 40" wide .75" poles (thread around here) he was happy with. He's roughly your size.
    I'd say that's a doable minimum. My Big Guy poles are 43" wide with a 36" foot pole and I recess the bars a bit further than the Ariel so I get even more space.

I will look for that thread. I am decent with my thread injector.

Stick with Easton poles... but if it is a purely car camping setup then 1" pipe from the hardware store can save you a few bucks in an endbar model.
    In a recessed bar model... not a great plan as the pipe diameter gets big enough to rub the bridge body at it's weakest point.

Appreciate the suggestion, the cost isn't a major issue, I am in that point of life where I have adequate play money for things I want to do. If I like the set up, there would be a small chance of taking it on a canoe or kayak trip too so I will stick with the Easton.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Sounds like 7" cat cut would be good, but that's not my specialty, either. I think you could make the foot end narrower if you're worried about weight. Definitely add to the length. I'd suggest planning to sew on separate end caps. That way you can see how the hammock feels and make spreader adjustments before committing to a shape or size of end cap. There are lots of possibilities. Personally, I like Grizz's "origami end cap", but I've used various flat panels and gathered end caps, too. Work on the hammock first. The end cap is step two ...
    cartoon Then a miracle occurs.jpg

I bought a DIY bridge hammock from BIC that was modeled after Warbonnet Ridgerunner. You might search for some threads about how he made it.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    OK, found the thread you mentioned here. I am going to work out the drawing for one sized for me when I have time in the next 3 or 4 days and will post to get a double check. REALLY appreciate the assistance. I will probably be sewing my grandaughters GE and tarp this weekend, this is likely next on the list.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast