Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Will the Warbonnet bridge hammock specific quilts fit this hammock?
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin6264 View Post
    Would also be curious to know this.
    It does, the thick bands of the lynx don't completely fit in the slot of the corner hardware however the go in most of the way. I love my lynx quilt. We have a prototype of an UQ but we aren't set up yet for quilt manufacturing.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WB Traveler, Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, woopies,
    Images
    I’m sold Dutch. I’ll be ordering one in a couple weeks, after pay day. What is the lead time on these with all the current craziness?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." - Marthe Troly-Curtin

Hammock
    Sparrow/Darien
    Tarp
    Palace/WinterDream
    Insulation
    Nunatak/LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Spider/J-Bend
    Really hoping for one that is wider than the ridgerunner. I bought one a ridgerunner, got in it and realized my shoulders are too wide. The big guy bridge is nice but i dont like bug nets that dont zip on. Hopefully there will be a wide version of this bridge from dutch that is actually wide enough for me.
    Instagram: @tralenoutdoors

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have something in the works but it will be some time.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Burg54 View Post
    I have been hoping that a bridge from Dutch would accommodate a larger weight. I'd like to see 350-400lb limit, personally. I have never really been clear on the reason for bridge hammocks and their low weight ratings. I believe the limitation is the spreader bars, but I am certain. I have also had two Chameleon zippers break on me so I wish the zipper on this was more...robust.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    We switched to YKK zippers and believe me they are more robust and expensive. However it is worth it. I don't think we have had one bust yet. For the higher weight limit, it isn't the weight as much as it is the size of the occupant. I would highly recommend checking out Bill Townsend's big boy bridge. I have another bridge design coming down the road but the Banyan took me like a year to get out of development.
    Quote Originally Posted by NeighborhoodNinja View Post
    Really hoping for one that is wider than the ridgerunner. I bought one a ridgerunner, got in it and realized my shoulders are too wide. The big guy bridge is nice but i dont like bug nets that dont zip on. Hopefully there will be a wide version of this bridge from dutch that is actually wide enough for me.
    See above... and connect some dots.
    Dutch is one of the most experienced out there with zippers, nets, and accessories related to hammocks in general.

I think many people misunderstand/underestimate how easily load can end up on a zipper in a hammock... start mixing that in with folks past 200lbs and failures are inevitable in my opinion.

I worked outdoor retail for some time, including time with The North Face. Zipper failure is one of the highest reasons for a return out there and that is for non-loadbearing construction in tent panels, sleeping gear and apparel. Zippers are simply not that rugged unless you go nuts and they are very prone to 'operator error' if you'd like to be polite about it.

Overall I have a gear philosophy that leans towards backpacking with an UL emphasis.
    1-We don't want stuff to fail in the field.
    2-We don't want to overengineer out every failure.
    3-We don't want to cross into 'stupid light' where gear is no longer robust enough to accomplish it's purpose. If you do chose to push a bit with lighter components- If it can fail, it should ideally be field repairable, or at worst be able to limp by without losing it's core function.

Eliminating zippers solves multiple problems for me.
    1-eliminate a component that not only fails, but has a low or zero probability of a field repair.
    2-A number #8 zipper might do the job... but it nearly doubles the weight of my stuff. #3 is too light, #5 isn't exactly just right.
    3-I reduce weight of the finished product without compromise of it's purpose. The net keeps bugs out.

As you note- 'Town repair' isn't always practical either or cost effective. I watched many high dollar tents and bags turn into garbage over that issue.
    I've also watched products 'feature creep' in both weight and ultimately cost. Watching out for a customer's bottom line is always something to consider. Watching the weight only applies to UL gear true, but technically that is my chosen niche to occupy. Dutch is big enough he can dip his toe into a few different pools.

I do understand that integrated net hammocks more or less turned into a 'thing'. But in much the same way 250lbs doesn't have to be the upper limit for a bridge... hammocks don't have to have a zipper.

Vendors do eventually do what folks want... but I note many who discuss bridge hammocks as 'too heavy'.

"Light, cheap, durable- pick two." Is a common answer. So if you want affordable and durable- a heavy zipper is pretty much required and directly answers the 'too heavy' issue.
    Course I believe you can pick three if you get creative, but that tends to mean a concession in another area.

I'm not trying to convince anyone or hijack the thread. I believe in being honest as well as balanced.
    In addition I think it makes sense to see if your philosophy matches the vendor's you are shopping with. The further outside a personal comfort zone a designer gets... the less they are able to offer a quality piece of kit.

Much like the chameleon... for those who want one product that does a good job of being a 'one size fits most' design, and gets you into the field- not a bad bridge at all.
    I'm sure this will hit many a sweet spot fer those looking for a bridge- but no product hits them all. Anything that tries to 'swiss army' itself into doing everyjob just ends up sucking at everything.
    Appreciate stuff for what it is.

Dutch-

Congrats on launching your bridge.
    Consolations on the ****** timing.

Trivial point but the green tabs seem a bit redundant...

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    I'm very happy to see another entry into the bridge hammock options. Personally I have a RR, an REI Air, and a DIY one. I like them all for their different advantages but the RR is the one I use 95% of the time now.

This new one has some very nice features. I like the customizability, probably the best feature in my opinion. The hangers for the UQ in the spreader bar attachment looks great. Color choices is very cool, probably the second best feature in my opinion (or tied for first). Having more D-rings for attachments is nice. I suppose the dual ridge lines are nice but I've never felt closed in by the single line on the RR but more interior room is always good.

Things I'm not sold on is a similarly configured RR is $185 and this one is $274. I love my RR saddle bags but maybe the various add-ons for storage would be OK. The RR has 2 saddle bags with a small and large "compartment" in each. Also at the foot and head are places to store additional gear.

I think that for the moment I'll just stick with my 3 bridges and 6-7 GE hammocks. I'll be interested in people's comparisons with other bridge hammocks as this gets out into more people's hands. I think this hammock will sell very well. Let us know how it compares.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Lost River
    Suspension
    Dyneema/BB
    +3 or so on the fat guy version!

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    We are working on double layer, zip on side sling, UQP and even a quilt. We are a small shop and the initial offerings are really going to push us to be able to keep up.
    Any idea on the timing of the double layer? Obviously hard to predict given the world we’re in, but do you expect it to be a looooong time or less than a looooong time?

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WaffleBox View Post
    Any idea on the timing of the double layer? Obviously hard to predict given the world we’re in, but do you expect it to be a looooong time or less than a looooong time?
    Banyans are backed up. The week we released it is the week the world crashed. So more than any other product, their is long list of them. We have to get through that list and right now almost all of our manufacturing capability is going to make PPE for the local hospital. I'm going to say looong time.

Dutch
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast