Help with new set up

So, I got a Chameleon with my tax return and took it out yesterday to try out. I am 5'1 and so I have a hard time getting my straps very high on the tree. How high, on avarage, do you need to put your straps for an optimal hang - assuming the trees are about 18 feet apart?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikitta View Post
    So, I got a Chameleon with my tax return and took it out yesterday to try out. I am 5'1 and so I have a hard time getting my straps very high on the tree. How high, on avarage, do you need to put your straps for an optimal hang - assuming the trees are about 18 feet apart?
    18 is a bit long, it will add some challenge. It's hard to say exactly. Does this hammock have a structural ridge line? If so, adjust the tension so that the RL is just barely straightened out to full length. Then you might have to reach as high as you can to attach the straps to the tree. Or even push them up with a hiking pole. Probably shoot for the hammock to be hanging just above seat height, maybe a bit more if there is much sag stretch after you get in. Shoot for an angle between tree and hammock straps of about 30º. So 30º, RL straight(but not tight), and the hammock is about level with your butt or maybe a bit higher. That's it.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, try to find some trees closer together. This will reduce how high the straps must be on the tree. Usually 12 to 15 feet is optimal. 18-20 ft will really raise the strap height on the trees.

Then hop in, and see where you are relative to the ground after you get in. If too high(seat height is usually about right), lower the straps on the tree. If too close to the ground after sitting, then raise the straps on the tree. If the seat is too high, then lower the straps on the tree.

That is about it. Avoid having your hammock or RL TOO tight. Being able to slightly bend or flex the RL after you are in is usually better than guitar string tight.

That is about it, far as I know.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Find some closer trees will help.
    Use a stick or hiking pole to push strap up the tree perhaps.

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Just use the Hammock Hang Calculator.

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

If the trees are 18 ft. apart, you'll need the straps to be 80 inches (six ft. six inches) high on the tree to achieve a 30 degree hang angle.

Since the Chameleon has a fixed ridgeline, you won't have the ability to adjust like you would with an adjustable ridgeline.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Unfortunately, my choices at the campground I was at yesterday were limited. The trees were either really close together or they were realy far apart. I chose the best pair I could and ended up with a wonky hang (my fixed ridgeline was tight otherwise I was on the gound. I couldn't get the straps higher because I didn't have my hiking poles with me - and I suck climbing trees LOL.

Thank you for the information folks. I appreciate it.

Hammock
    SLD SL, WBBB XLC, TTTG
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE, HG
    Suspension
    Various
    If you are driving to a campground you can always pack a step stool with you. I always seem to pick trees too far apart and have to raise my tree straps up high. I'm lucky enough to be tall and have long arms though.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Another thing to try, hang the foot end about 12 inches higher than the head end. I have a Chameleon.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    An epiphany I had at a campground is I only needed one tree. I back the jeep in and tie to one tree and the luggage rack on the top of the jeep. Almost every site I’ve been to has a tree I can reach from where I have to park the car.

I don’t recall the exact numbers, but when I first got started, I estimated how high I could comfortably reach. The further apart your anchor points, the higher the suspension has to be for the correct (approximate) good angle. Using the hammock calculator referrenced above, I plugged in numbers and adjusted the tree distance. I might have started at 18 ft - just to get a starting point I knew was out of range - and recalculated bring the distance closer and closer, recording the suggested suspension height. I kept going until the “trees” were so close it couldn’t provide a solution for my desired hang angle and height above ground. That gave me a target distance between supports.

These days, I just eyeball it. I string up, sit in it to assure it’s chair height (swing legs down and stand up - like in a chair), lay back to see if I’m comfortable - no hard calf ridge, and done.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts