Tarp
    hennesy hex
    Insulation
    AHE new river
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

I need help with tarps...

I know, I know.."I thought he was done with hammocks?"

Well, I had a long conversation with someone on the AT last night and he has convinced me to give it another try. I have my gear set up, I just need advice on setting up a tarp.... faster than I am currently.

If it's raining, it takes me wayyyy too long to set up my tarp. The continuous ridgeline itself is extremely fast, but by the time I get my prussik knot and toggles attacked to my tarp the way I want it...let's just say if it's been raining my gear and myself are already soaked.

There's got to be a better way. I want to perhaps tie off cordage to each end, but then I run into the issue of getting it centered over my hammock so I don't get wet. Should I get the figure 9's I saw at the local store? Help...
    Advice needed snakeskin or no snakeskin

If it helps.. I have the following gear:
    11 foot dutchware hammocks (netted and no net)
    Ridgeline: continuous with paracord, prussiks, toggles
    Tarp: 10 by 10 etowah outfitters silnylon

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    Get the tarp set up first and do use snakeskins invest in some dutchgear stake tyeouts it work good for me and fast it just takes some pratice And patience More you do it the faster you will get at doing it!
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Lots of tutorials on You Tube...including mine that may give you some set-up insight.....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...r4JzQgQ_iyB2RU
    Really, it takes practice and focus. Go to your yard or a park and drill setting up and taking down several times with full focus on the task. It will improve.
    My preferred way is two lines off ridgeline. Not a fan of the continuous ridgeline personally. But we all differ on tarp subjects.

Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    gathered end dutchware
    Tarp
    hennesy hex
    Insulation
    AHE new river
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Lots of tutorials on You Tube...including mine that may give you some set-up insight.....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...r4JzQgQ_iyB2RU
    Really, it takes practice and focus. Go to your yard or a park and drill setting up and taking down several times with full focus on the task. It will improve.
    My preferred way is two lines off ridgeline. Not a fan of the continuous ridgeline personally. But we all differ on tarp subjects.

Carry forth.
    Shug
    All secure in sector 7.

I guess if I'm going to get this right, I've got to get up in the morning.. EARLY!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chansta View Post
    All secure in sector 7.

I guess if I'm going to get this right, I've got to get up in the morning.. EARLY!
    Oh yes.
    Pick a tarp style and perfect it as much as you can. Prussiks can be hard to slide wet and sometimes depends on the line used.
    Centering a tarp over hammock or hammock under tarp is not that hard. Again...a bit of practice. EARLY~~~!!

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Yes, get figure 9's (the small ones if they have em) and snakeskins. Burn that paracord and get yourself some good line, I use Lawson's but find what works for you.

Ends only RL, about 12' each. Loop around the tree, take a step towards the other tree and tie off, repeat on the other side. You should be centered fairly well between the trees, if not don't worry about it unless you're way off to one side. Set up your hammock and center that under the tarp where you're protected from the rain.

Next time you go for a day hike, stop and do this a few times with different tree spacings. After a few hikes doing that it will become second nature.

Hammock
    gathered end dutchware
    Tarp
    hennesy hex
    Insulation
    AHE new river
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    A wasp on a prussik. I like this method, since I've already been using prussiks. I have ordered 12 ft of zing it with the wasps. Thank you, Shug!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I’d drop the paracord - too stretchy. It sounds like you are stringing your ridge line first, then attaching the tarp via prusiks you have to tie each time. To speed things up, you could keep the ridge line attached to the tarp. Even better is to keep it all in a snake skins (double or single). For a long time, I’ve used a continuous ridge line that allowed making small adjustment by just sliding the line. No need to adjust one tarp end, then the other.

If you are getting soaked, keep your rain jacket on until you are done with putting up the tarp If your gear is getting soaked, consider a rain cover for your pack. Assuming it will be raining before you reach your campsite, you’ll want those for the trail anyway.

If it’s raining, it is not unusual to have wind. And wind makes rigging your tarp a … challenge. When I switched to skins, it was so much easier. Actually, it was more like possible vs impossible than just easier.

I can imagine that if you keep your ridge line, and possibly guy lines, on the tarp, and just stuff everything in a bag, when you pull it out, it will be tangled. I think some MIT grads did a study and found out that the degree of tangle is directly proportional to the amount of wind and desire to get under shelter. That’s why I recommend snake skins. It will keep those lines tidy. If you have good weather for the Pack Out day, use some time to coil those guy lines so they are more behaved. Or, you could carefully roll them in your tarp as you pull the skin down.

You mentioned wasp on the pruisk. Maybe you meant a Flyz. they are less expensive. I think the wasp is designed to go on the ridge line itself; The flyz provides the same hook/lock that a figure-9 uses and the flyz has hole where you could attach a loop for the prusik knot.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LynxT-JRB HG
    Suspension
    strap/buckle
    Like others have said tarp skins are great especially with lager tarps and leave line attached.
    WHAT MAP

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    A wetsider from Washington State here and can relate to hurriedly setting up as the rain starts. Love my ridgeline from Autumn Ultralight with a nifty button knot fixed end and toggle on the adjustable end and NAMA Claws instead of prussiks. I had no experience with any of these options but have been pleasantly surprised with how well each component works. Super fast and easy to adjust with or without skins. I also have gone to keeping my guy lines attached to the stakes and have tiny figure 9s on short shockcord loops attached to the tarp which allows adjustment while under cover of the tarp.

The most important aspects of accelerated set-ups in the dark and rain are practice, uncomplicated hardware/knots and above all making sure everything has been packed up in a way to minimize tangles. I am extra careful in securely figure-eighting the ridgeline so it deploys knot free fixed end first and wrapping my four primary stakes up by winding the guylines and securing the ends.

I upgraded my RL and tarp (12' silpoly hex) a while back and spent a few afternoon dogwalks stopping and repeatedly deploying the tarp under varying conditions. Now every step of both deployment and packing up and are optimized and committed to muscle memory. Totally confusing for the dog but satisfying and mildly therapeutic for the gear obsessed human.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast