Warbonnet Ridgerunner Bridge
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Lynx, hangtight
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Looking for...

a post / thread regarding a tarp ridgeline made of one long cord, using two(?) carabiners, which is completely adjustable.... Been looking for it on here for days and can't seem to find it. The person who introduced me to it in real life (not on here) called it a continuous ridgeline, but it is not what we commonly called continuous ridgeline on here (normally using prusiks). Can someone point me to a video about this alternate tarp ridgeline?

Thanks,
    Dawn in Jersey
    ~~~NJHEART2HEART Dawn~~~
    "Seek God, Embrace the Journey, Leave a Legacy of Love"

Dawn,

Look at Derek Hansens Ultimate Hang website and/or books Volume 1 and Volume 2. I think you will find your answer there. He also has a video of setting it up and deploying it.

FWIW, I used that system for a short time. I found it easier for me to just use a section of rope, for each tarp end, in order to tie off to the trees. I keep a 3 - 4 foot section of cord attached to the tarp ends, permanently. Less weight with less hardware. I just use a tautline hitch to tie around the tree. That knot allows infinite adjustment.

Have a good weekend.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by NJHeart2Heart View Post
    a post / thread regarding a tarp ridgeline made of one long cord, using two(?) carabiners, which is completely adjustable.... Been looking for it on here for days and can't seem to find it. The person who introduced me to it in real life (not on here) called it a continuous ridgeline, but it is not what we commonly called continuous ridgeline on here (normally using prusiks). Can someone point me to a video about this alternate tarp ridgeline?

Thanks,
    Dawn in Jersey
    Yes, there is a bit of confusion as to what a CRL is. The method you are/were looking for, like a clothesline outside of an apartment window, is preferred by some for a couple of reasons. First, some folks find it to be an easy way to center the tarp over the hammock. Second, it creates that "V" that, again, some folks want to incorporate in pitching a tarp. Seems to be mostly a matter of HYOH. I'm not here to argue one way or the other.

I do happen to think that this method is the one that is truly "continuous." The other, with some form of tarp tensioners, seems more suited to the name "one piece ridge line." But that's just my opinion.

I've done the setup you've described using two bit of hardware from Dutch: a ridge line carabiner and a Stingerz (along with a length of ZingIt.) It works well as intended. You might like it, or maybe not!

Images

Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner Bridge
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Lynx, hangtight
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks all for the information! All helpful advice
    ~~~NJHEART2HEART Dawn~~~
    "Seek God, Embrace the Journey, Leave a Legacy of Love"

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I’ve used this setup for years with 3mm PMI utility cord (REI 50 ft hank). Instead of the biner on a prussic for tightening, I have a Figure-9 on a split ring at end of the tarp. I cinch it down with that. The advantages seem to be the V that allows the hammock suspension to go up the middle, the ability to just slide the whole thing for final adjustments instead of having to adjust one end and then the other, and a lots of line to absorb any occasional small tug.

This summer I’m going to try the “single line” method where the tarp is attached via a variant of prussic or claws. I’ll run the line from the side of the tree and as such, if I run the hammock line off the same side, they may touch. But I don’t imagine it would be much rub/abrasion issue.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    While waiting for your hardware to arrive you might want to experiment with a simple knot solution.

It is easy to use a prusik on each end of the tarp, tied directly to the D ring using a good cord that holds knots well, such as Lawson's glowire or guywire.

prusik_tarp_ridgeline.jpg glowire_prusik_ridgeline_small_728888.jpg
    Last edited by cmoulder; 03-16-2020 at 07:17.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I’m liking the idea of taking the tarp out of the suspension line - stringing a single line between the supports as a stand alone, then attaching the tarp to it.

In the past, my tarp ridge line was separate on a kite winder (UL’ers cringe ). The prussic style knots require I keep the line with the tarp (or else more fiddling, tying them on each time). That would work, especially as I plan to skin all the tarps.

Do those prussic (and its variants) work when a strong wind is flexing the setup?

I’ve seen some knots work great when under tension, but could loosen up if subject to tight/loose/tight/loose flexing that might occur in a storm.

In the past, my Figure-9’s have never failed me - but I think they are happier with thicker (3mm-ish) cord.

Is it a false worry - putting 1.75mm prussic on a 1.75 line? I try to have the line the prussic grabs be a little bit thicker. But it seems Dutch Bling is designed for the smallest cordage.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I’m liking the idea of taking the tarp out of the suspension line - stringing a single line between the supports as a stand alone, then attaching the tarp to it.

In the past, my tarp ridge line was separate on a kite winder (UL’ers cringe ). The prussic style knots require I keep the line with the tarp (or else more fiddling, tying them on each time). That would work, especially as I plan to skin all the tarps.

Do those prussic (and its variants) work when a strong wind is flexing the setup?

I’ve seen some knots work great when under tension, but could loosen up if subject to tight/loose/tight/loose flexing that might occur in a storm.

In the past, my Figure-9’s have never failed me - but I think they are happier with thicker (3mm-ish) cord.

Is it a false worry - putting 1.75mm prussic on a 1.75 line? I try to have the line the prussic grabs be a little bit thicker. But it seems Dutch Bling is designed for the smallest cordage.
    I've been using the Dutch CRL (1.75mm zingit) with the softshackles (I think also 1.75mm zingit) prusiked onto the main line for about a year now. They prusiks held fine in some decent winds (sustained 20+mph winds with gusts up to 35mph).

However, I'm starting to not like the prusiks because more often than not they get supertight and become a pain to slide around unless they are untied and retied back on. Been thinking about switching to a split ridgeline with Dutch Stingerz on either end.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast