DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies

new tarp time

I need a new 12 ft ridgeline tarp and making up my mind has been tough. I want something with doors. A poly-sil is nice and the price is right. I especially like that you can compactly stuff it in a sack. Cuben fiber is calling me though - its so light. I don't like the noisyness and the fact that it transmits so much light and doesn't roll up compactly.

I'm "man enough" to carry the poly but do I really want to? I can afford the cuben but do I really want to spend that much to save some ounces and have to put up with quirks?

For anyone who has owned both please give me your thoughts - this is more important than corona virus!

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Go with the sil-poly. You point out there are several functional aspects of DSM that you do not like. These will be there bugging you every hang.
    The weight difference (per HG Journey & DSM std w/doors) is 320g/ 11 oz. or one cup of coffee.

Unless you are going on a technical outing that mandates the weight. Go with what you will enjoy.

Hammock
    DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    Go with the sil-poly. You point out there are several functional aspects of DSM that you do not like. These will be there bugging you every hang.
    The weight difference (per HG Journey & DSM std w/doors) is 320g/ 11 oz. or one cup of coffee.

Unless you are going on a technical outing that mandates the weight. Go with what you will enjoy.
    Agree for a weekend the extra weight of the sil poly is a no-brainer. I'm thinking about a through hike and 11 oz is a significant amount....

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Sounds like you really want to Cuben so go for it. It only hurts when you pay and from then on you can enjoy it.

Buy what you want and hang your own hang. There is no right answer.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    If you're doing a thru hike, cuben fiber is worth it. However, some of your concerns sound like a car camper's concerns. Too much light? That should not be a concern for a thru hiker because you won't be lounging during the day (I'm not a thru hiker, but I never lounge in my hammock during the day - I use my hammock strictly for sleeping). As for noise, I sometimes think someone just blurted out, "cuben fiber is noisy," and it became a popular reason for reconsidering cuben fiber. It's not like I've ever seen someone with a decibel meter actually quantify the differences - it just became a recycled "concern" every time anyone brought up cuben fiber.

As for the bulk of DCF, of course it's bulkier. However, I always put my tarp in the outside pocket of my pack, so the additional bulk has no effect on me.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Silpoly packs down much smaller than Dyneema/Cuben.
    I have a camo one from HG and it is not translucent......https://hammockgear.com/dyneema-fibe...rp-with-doors/
    So size VS Weight.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    I agree with a lot of what SS said. Subjectively, I don't feel like a DCF tarp is incredibly loud or a silpoly tarp is incredibly quiet.

A DCF tarp might be approximately 40-50% lighter than a silpoly equivalent, but in contrast the silpoly tarp isn't going to be 40-50% quieter or pack down 40-50% smaller. It will probably cost around 50% less, which is arguably the biggest advantage silpoly has over DCF. If you don't have a problem spending what a DCF tarp costs, I'd say it's well worth it and you won't regret it.

I have 1 DCF tarp, several silpoly, and 1 silnylon so I also agree with what Dave said that there's no right or wrong answer. You already know the relative pros and cons of each material, so choose which one you feel is the best compromise for your particular needs.

DCF's bulk can be mitigated quite a bit if you have the patience and if conditions allow for you to flatten and roll the tarp. But that's not always possible or convenient.

One thing to look at is the widths of tarps you're comparing. A single width of DCF (i.e. not the HG Palace) makes for a narrower tarp than the majority of sil tarps on the market. Some find the standard width adequate, and some don't. Just something to keep in mind.

Also, if weight and size really come down to shaving grams, why a 12' tarp? 11' would seem to be pleant for the hammocks you've named.

I have a Cuban fiber tarp that stays at home most of the time. I have Silpoly tarps which are my go to tarps. I guess in the back of my mind I’m saving the Cuban, but for what? My advise is get the Silpoly and enjoy it.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast