Hammock
    DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Thanks mooseman. I didn't know about them and it looks like they make a nice product provided that you're happy with whatever you get. No specs that I could find on their web page. I need a new tarp to lighten my load a bit. So, if a manufacturer doesn't provide specs so I can compare with what I already have they won't make my list.

My current tarps:
    Hennessy Hex. 12' ridgeline, polyurethane coated nylon. I love this tarp but its pretty heavy at 24 oz. I sometimes have trouble finding two good trees due to its length. If I buy a tarp with doors an 11 footer will be long enough but I do like the 12 foot coverage.

Clark Vertex. 10-6 ridgeline, sil coated nylon. 19 oz. I like it but its just too short for my 11' hammock. Very careful hanging gives me maybe 4 to 6 inches of coverage on both ends. With the cat cut its just too exposed in a windy rain storm deluge like we get in the southeast. It also stretches - no a big negative but also not positive.

SLD Asym: 11 ft ridge line sil coated poly. 7 oz or so. Its like a micro bikini - barely there. Great in the right application but not attractive for general use. I would hate to get caught in any sort of rain using it - I don't have the skill or motivation to try to stay dry with it. However, the customer service and craftsmanship from SLD was/is outstanding. I'm the one who decided to buy it, so no complaints. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from SLD again - just something bigger this time.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Here is a look at sizes in stuff sacks and weights....
    Shug

Hey, you've got lots a great vids. I'm a subscriber. I didn't know you had this one though. Something to watch tonight I was running out.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    Hey, you've got lots a great vids. I'm a subscriber. I didn't know you had this one though. Something to watch tonight I was running out.
    I just put it out last night......
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    If you might be interested in looking at another option (that doesn't get a whole lot of discussion here), check out the Paladin tarp from Enlightened Equipment.

Its weight is closer to that of DCF, but lower price and smaller pack volume. Heck, it most likely packs down smaller than just about any other tarp of equivalent size.

An 11 footer is 8.5oz without doors and 11oz with. 7D silnylon with PU coating. Width is comparable to the Hammock Gear standard or standard w/ doors.

https://enlightenedequipment.com/paladin-stock/
    https://enlightenedequipment.com/paladin-custom/

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    The DCF vs Silpoly packed was about twice the size...but really, after jamming it in my pack I didn't notice. In a sleeve, then folded into a rectangular shape, the slick material could be put in last no problem. In the end, I sold the DCF.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Litetrek, do you need full doors? If not, the Warbonnet Mini/Thunder/Mountain fly (or other partial door) tarps might work out for you. The partial doors also close away from the ends of the tarp, effectively lengthening the tarp coverage. I don't really need (yet) a full on winter tarp but I did want something that gave more rain coverage than a regular hex.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Litetrek, do you need full doors? If not, the Warbonnet Mini/Thunder/Mountain fly (or other partial door) tarps might work out for you. The partial doors also close away from the ends of the tarp, effectively lengthening the tarp coverage. I don't really need (yet) a full on winter tarp but I did want something that gave more rain coverage than a regular hex.
    Those are nice. I didn't know about that model and would consider it.

I live in Atlanta now but am from way up north near Canada (several different locations). I no longer camp in the winter. Its fun and a challenge and beautiful but its also cold. One subzero morning when I was slipping my feet into my frozen boots it occurred to me that camping in subzero weather was a choice and I stopped doing it a long time ago. So I probably don't need full doors for any camping I do. Currently none of my tarps have doors and it hasn't been an issue.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    If you might be interested in looking at another option (that doesn't get a whole lot of discussion here), check out the Paladin tarp from Enlightened Equipment.

Its weight is closer to that of DCF, but lower price and smaller pack volume. Heck, it most likely packs down smaller than just about any other tarp of equivalent size.

An 11 footer is 8.5oz without doors and 11oz with. 7D silnylon with PU coating. Width is comparable to the Hammock Gear standard or standard w/ doors.

https://enlightenedequipment.com/paladin-stock/
    https://enlightenedequipment.com/paladin-custom/
    Thanks. I'll check it out.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    This is just my perspective and not shared by many here, BUT since you asked...I bought used DCF HG STD no doors and DCF Palace-both in Camo. You pay a slight weight and cost penalty with the camo but I do like how it looks so much better than the translucent-just an opinion. I've yet to take the Palace on a trip and unless I know it's a very good chance of blowing rain, will always look to see if I can make do with the Standard as it is so light and packs so small. I also have a Warbonnet Thunderfly that packs smaller than the palace but weighs a tiny bit more. Others say get the Palace and never look back but for me, I'd rather have something that packs smaller. Also, some say that they've never had a hang where a twelve footer was too long. Not ME! I've had multiple occasions of this and will always have 11 foot tarps for my 11 foot hammocks-plenty of coverage.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Clisbyclark View Post
    This is just my perspective and not shared by many here, BUT since you asked...I bought used DCF HG STD no doors and DCF Palace-both in Camo. You pay a slight weight and cost penalty with the camo but I do like how it looks so much better than the translucent-just an opinion. I've yet to take the Palace on a trip and unless I know it's a very good chance of blowing rain, will always look to see if I can make do with the Standard as it is so light and packs so small. I also have a Warbonnet Thunderfly that packs smaller than the palace but weighs a tiny bit more. Others say get the Palace and never look back but for me, I'd rather have something that packs smaller. Also, some say that they've never had a hang where a twelve footer was too long. Not ME! I've had multiple occasions of this and will always have 11 foot tarps for my 11 foot hammocks-plenty of coverage.
    Thanks. I agree about 12 ft. The only downside for me about my twelve footer is that Ive. Often had trouble finding good trees to fit between. If I get something with even partial doors 11 feet will do. My 10-6 clark vertex is too short for. My 11 foot hammock though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast