Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    Winter Dream 13'
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Welp, that didn't work! (Continuous Ridge Line biner failure)

I'm new to the forum and to hammocking. Figured out real quick that a CRL was for me. I was looking for a substantial carabiner that would coil nicely with the rest of the CRL if left attached. I found these nifty little biners with terminal loops on the bottom, perfect for permanently attaching to the end of a rope.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0822H1F8K..._KBeBEbM8Y0Z99

I have a 13' UGQ WinterDream tarp. I spent the other night sleeping double with my 5 yr old son using spreader bars. The next morning, I had to be somewhere so I left everything pitched to dryout. It got a little windy, probably gusts 10-15mph. When I came to take it down, I found that the biners had failed. The only thing that kept the CRL attached was the fact that my hammock suspension had created enough grip and held the line to the tree.

Anyways, the point is that while the CRL doesn't have as much of a load on it as the hammock suspension, I still have to consider the strength of what's holding it up. Even the tarp ridge tie out biners bent a little bit but not to failure. Now I've got some mini biners that I've since seen others using. They're not as small as I'd like, but being a tad big is better than coming apart.

Also, figuring this out in the convenience of my back yard was nice too.

IMG_20200313_204646.jpg

Trial and error... the mother of all edjukasion. We've all been there.;-)

In the link provided... those are more along the lines of a mitten hook and appear to be rated for a maximum tensile strength of 15kg (~33lbs), which is fairly inadequate on a tensioned CRL. Along with the actual tensioning load and physical weight of the ridgeline and tarp itself, your tarp also acts pretty much like a sail in even the mildest of breezes. The forces can be considerable.

There are other small/light/strong tarp suspension options available vs. simply going with a larger/heavier "biner"... including going "no hardware". What might work best for you is strictly a matter of personal choice, cost and opinion.

The best I can suggest is to simply do a little more reading in the forum to see what other folks are using or to do some general internet searches for those companies offering tarp continuous ridgelines for sale to see what hardware/attachment systems they are offering. The options are nearly limitless.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Hmmm not much overlap on that clasp to begin with. They look like they would have been stronger. Good to know.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Get some Camp Nano 22 carabiners. Or Dutch biners, which are 9g and strong enough to tow a car out of a ditch.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    Here's a similar hardware clip made of titanium, which might work better if you want to try again.

https://hammockgear.com/titanium-clip/

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    I've used those same clips for over a year but only to clip the line to it's self as it goes around the tree. I only recently moved away from them because they can be difficult to open in cold weather and with bigger hands.

Currently I am using Brummell Loops as a no hardware replacement. These are similar to what Autumn Ultralite is offering. Brummell loops are basically an EVO loop with a locked Brummell forming a figure 8.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    Winter Dream 13'
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    I've used those same clips for over a year but only to clip the line to it's self as it goes around the tree. I only recently moved away from them because they can be difficult to open in cold weather and with bigger hands.

Currently I am using Brummell Loops as a no hardware replacement. These are similar to what Autumn Ultralite is offering. Brummell loops are basically an EVO loop with a locked Brummell forming a figure 8.
    FWIW, that's what the carabiner that failed was being used for.

The other two were slightly bent and were used to connect the tarp to the CRL.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll check this stuff out that was mentioned.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke68 View Post
    FWIW, that's what the carabiner that failed was being used for.

The other two were slightly bent and were used to connect the tarp to the CRL.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll check this stuff out that was mentioned.
    Yea, I got a pack of 10 of those from ailexpress. I ties them to the end of one side of the tarp ridge line. I used the exact same set up as you have but for one difference. I would loop the line around the tree and used the clip to hold the line. On the other side I used a #9 clip like you've got. The difference is I did not use the clips to hold the tarp. For that I use small s-biners.

I also pulled and deformed one of the hooks similar to yours. In the end it was the difficulty I had opening them up that made me move to the Brummell loop. There are tons of EVO loop videos out there. They are easy to make.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]180090[/ATTACH
    This image shows the EVO loop, a Brummell Loop, a soft shackle with an extended loop, and a traditional soft shackle. You can see they are all the same except for how the lines are passed through each other or not.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    jeff-oh, I don’t see the difference between the Brummell Loop and soft shackle with an extended loop - except maybe the knot. I want to experiment with less hardware this summer. Please describe the difference between the middle two loops.

My tarp CL has used $2-$3 mini-biners for years (the ones labeled by hammock vendors, not the key fobs at the grocery store). I connect the suspension line to the tarp end using one mini biner, go around the tree, all the way to the other tree, around it and back to the other tarp end where I connect to a figure-9 on a split ring. There is a mini-biner at each end, (so I can start at either end) and I run the CL through those mini-biners, keeping the tarp ridge up and in line with the CL.

With all the friction provided by the tree, especially if coming off the side of the tree instead of the middle, it’s hard to imagine that much force on the clip.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    jeff-oh, I donÂ’t see the difference between the Brummell Loop and soft shackle with an extended loop - except maybe the knot. I want to experiment with less hardware this summer. Please describe the difference between the middle two loops.
    You mean to tell me you can't tell by the picture?
    Super close up... may loose some resolution.
    Capture.JPG

The difference is the soft shackle is just that. It was made like any soft shackle tutorial video, but instead of the adjustable loop being the diameter of the line big I made it much larger. In this case I made with a 4" loop. The one line passes through the middle of the other and the lines are still able to slip past each other. I like this one the least because it really serves no function and it hard to even out the lines if you larks head it to the CRL

The Locked Brummel is also just that. In this case I made a 4" locked brummel loop (passing each line through the other) in the middle of the line. Then instead of burying the tail, I brought both lined back together to form another 4" loop and tied a button knot. This is my favorite and I like it much better than the straight EVO loop. This one will larks head to your CRL and the "Button" hole is independent of the larks head.

These 7/64" Amsteel versions I use on my hammock suspension to connect at the tree. I made Zing-it versions with 2"-3" loops for the tarp CRL.
    Capture.JPGCapture2.JPG
    These two images are from Autumn Ultra light. Mary Ann made it two colors as an integrated end of the tarp RL the second picture shows how you just loop the shackle around the line and place the button knot in the loop. They hold extremely well.

Only further comment to make is the loops do not need to be the same size. If I made again, I'd make the receiving loop (non button knot side) just big enough to attach and easily receive the button knot... i.e. 2" in 7/64's and 1" to 1.5" in zing-it
    Last edited by jeff-oh; 03-14-2020 at 14:59.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast