Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Ultralight Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex/Stock
    Insulation
    Cumulus UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Hennessy stock
    As a Cumulus Selva 450 owner myself, I'd say that running shock cord from corner line locks to carabiner or similar should be enough, if your hammock doesn't have side tie
    outs. With side tie outs and a heavier UQ, it may be useful to do secondary suspension by running shock cord through all UQ side loops (as I do). But that adds weight.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex/Stock
    Insulation
    Cumulus UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Hennessy stock
    And here's an instruction video from Cumulus:

https://youtu.be/GleBkyhXCzk

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12'
    Insulation
    HG Econ/Tiaga 360
    Suspension
    Straps and UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by infrastellar View Post
    The truth is, Cumulus delivers too much shockcord with absolutly no information how to hang it on the hammock. If you have lighter underquilt than selva 600, you can buy lighter shockord.

The reason is that they think to run the shockord all around the underquilt which is not good attitude in my opinion.

There are two linelocks on every end of the uderquilt. It is enough to run one piece of shockord on each end. It runs from one linelock to the other one. You can hang the shockcord at the same place as you hang your amsteel loop of your hammock.

So you end up with two pieces of shockcord approx 1.5m each. Then you adjust the shockcord through the linelocks and if there is too much excess, you can cut it.

Here's their instructional video...

He doesn't seem to be recommending running the shock cord the length of the hammock.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex/Stock
    Insulation
    Cumulus UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Hennessy stock
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenblack View Post
    He doesn't seem to be recommending running the shock cord the length of the hammock.
    There's another video from Cumulus where you can briefly see their UQ with secondary suspension running around the UQ. So it can be done both ways, depends on you and your hammock.

For example, with my Hennessy UL Explorer the UQ stays in place better around the side tie-outs with secondary suspension. But a friend of mine tried and abandoned secondary suspension for his hammock (another brand).

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12'
    Insulation
    HG Econ/Tiaga 360
    Suspension
    Straps and UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by bitti View Post
    There's another video from Cumulus where you can briefly see their UQ with secondary suspension running around the UQ. So it can be done both ways, depends on you and your hammock.

For example, with my Hennessy UL Explorer the UQ stays in place better around the side tie-outs with secondary suspension. But a friend of mine tried and abandoned secondary suspension for his hammock (another brand).
    I don't recall having seen another video, but it wouldn't surprise me if they cover both methods. Having tried both methods on different set-ups the full length shock corded approach is my preference. The shock cord helps seal the quilt to the hammock imho and is much less likely to lead to cold spots. I would rather carry a few feet of shock cord rather than risk freeze my butt off night after night. A good nights sleep is worth a few ounces of pack weight imho. Having said that I don't do 2K through hikes...maybe in that situation things would be different? Although I cant imagine walking those distances while getting poor sleep would be any fun.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex/Stock
    Insulation
    Cumulus UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Hennessy stock
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenblack View Post
    I don't recall having seen another video, but it wouldn't surprise me if they cover both methods.
    I couldn't locate that second video now. I remember I watched it last year, it was just a short promotional video from Cumulus, where for 1-2 seconds a Selva underquilt with all-round secondary suspension could be seen.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    DD superlight
    Insulation
    Cumulus
    Suspension
    Dutchware spider
    Quote Originally Posted by bitti View Post
    I couldn't locate that second video now. I remember I watched it last year, it was just a short promotional video from Cumulus, where for 1-2 seconds a Selva underquilt with all-round secondary suspension could be seen.
    Perhaps this video https://youtu.be/Kk__LuSIoeE. At 1 min 48 sec you can see the cord through the hoops.

F48FC00A-2B5F-4687-8FDE-FAA28B096450.jpeg

I believe Cumulus designed it to only use the cord through line locs at either end, and to be hooked onto the carabiners, which is why there’s so much cord. But there isn’t enough cord to run the length of the UQ through the hoops, through the line locs to the gathered end.

For those not familiar with Cumulus UQ, there are only line locs on each corner with grosgrain running down the length of the UQ. No channel for primary suspension to run in, only some 2” loops spaced 18” apart. So if it’s set up as appears to be explained in their videos (without running the cord through the loops and only using the line locks), the line locs are acting as both the primary suspension to support the UQ and secondary to adjust the position.

Can anyone explain the disadvantages of this?

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    there are no disadvantages

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    When the suspension line runs the full length of the quilt, then the force/pull is directly on just the shock-cord; which is usually sized at a larger thickness than end cinches that use line-locs. If you just have cord at the ends running through line-locs, you are asking a lot of that hardware and it presents yet another potential point of failure. Now with those loops. you could run a line across from loop to loop at the two loop pairs closest to the UQ ends and using an S-biner, paperclip, what have you, attach that line to your hammock ridgeline and it will give you lift on the ends to help, “seal the deal”.

I would not advise cutting any excess line until you are absolutely sure you will keep the UQ forever and always use it on the same hammock in the same style. Because hammock’s come in different lengths. And styles change. Like it used to be common practice to cinch the ends of a UQ tight. And that looks good when no one is in the hammock. But some have found the when you turn diagonal, that tight cinch can cause a gap as it holds the end in while a leg pushes out. So if the UQ ends are not so tight, they can more easily conform tho the shape of the hammock - or rather person in the hammock. In that school of thought, it’s the overall lift of the UQ against the bottom of the hammock that must be snug rather than trying to seal it off with really tight ends.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    DD superlight
    Insulation
    Cumulus
    Suspension
    Dutchware spider
    A couple more photos of how I’ve set it up. But it’s totally unclear how you are “supposed” to do it as the Cumulus video shows only a loop using one bit of cord.

A4D4B79A-CBFC-416F-B5D6-4D1B784BC91C.jpeg

2DB81A1B-6F19-464F-8C61-E7F75B904900.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast