Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    You don’t have to have the ridge line level. It can be a benefit - more water shedding - if one end is higher so it angles down toward one end. That will take up some of any “extra” length. In that situation, I’d keep the foot end lower and use one pole for semi-porch mode at the head end for access during the day and lower it for more weather protection at night.

Picking the ridge line direction relative to the incoming weather is important too. My tarp suspension is like an oval going around the two trees with the tarp taking up one side. That allows a “center” area for the hammock suspension. But that’s a configuration where the hammock lines are coming off the middle of the tree. This year I’m going to try bringing both the tarp and the hammock suspension off the side of the tree. In that case they may touch. But I wouldn’t consider it rubbing. And it’s just the suspension lines; not the tarp itself.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    You don’t have to have the ridge line level. It can be a benefit - more water shedding - if one end is higher so it angles down toward one end. ....
    Pretty much always set my tarp so it follows the angle of the hammock.. one end higher (foot). No reason that the tarp has to stay level other than aesthetics..
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    You don’t have to have the ridge line level. It can be a benefit - more water shedding - if one end is higher so it angles down toward one end. ..........
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Pretty much always set my tarp so it follows the angle of the hammock.. one end higher (foot). No reason that the tarp has to stay level other than aesthetics..
    One of the most useful tidbits in this thread — 1) angled and foot end higher — along with other folks' advice about 2) having the hammock suspension in line with the tarp ridge line, and 3) that it's okay if the tarp and hammock suspension touch or rub a bit.

In my opinion that tarp is way-plenny big enough to handle some fairly nasty weather!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    "Can’t get my tarp Taught, or prevent it from interfering with my hammock suspension." Maybe send your tarp to school to get taught? Rather maybe make your tarp taut! Sorry, the English teacher in me had to correct this. have a great week and hang that sweet chariot low!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    "Can’t get my tarp Taught, or prevent it from interfering with my hammock suspension." Maybe send your tarp to school to get taught? Rather maybe make your tarp taut! Sorry, the English teacher in me had to correct this. have a great week and hang that sweet chariot low!
    Grrr... A tic of mine, too, but I just grit my teeth and sally forth.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I can calculate the internal rate of return on staggered deposits to diversified portfolio but can't remember if it is taught or taut, so I just say tight.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Having two words sounding the same is too many to figure out.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have been using a 13ft DIY tarp with my BlackBird for the last year. I use a continuous ridge line with Nama Claws. The Claws allow me get the tarp very tight. I do try and angle the tarp ridge line at a slight slope.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

You don’t have to have the ridge line level. It can be a benefit - more water shedding - if one end is higher so it angles down toward one end.

This makes absolutely no sense to me!

FWIW, I tend to pitch my tarp level. With the foot end of the hammock strung higher, where extra height would be wasted anyway, it leaves me with a bit of headroom at that end and keeps the tarp reasonably low.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    TominMN, I am mostly in Porch Mode; sometimes one, sometimes two poles. I will also use external pole mod to support the panel pulls. These configurations can allow a rain puddle to form on the tarp.

Clearly, with a conventional “A” rigging, all the rain will run down the sides. But that’s not how I roll. I have to inspect the final setting, making sure there is a path-to-ground for any water that might pool up. Raising one end can assist with that. Can allow a longer tarp to fit in a smaller distance. Can create a more welcome entrance (no ducking).

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast