DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I'm with cougarmeat on this one, though I rarely do porch mode. Not sure why. I suppose I don't spend that much time lounging in the hammock, where a view is necessary. When the weather is exceptionally nice, I'll do a quaterback mode.. but that's it. I hereby commit to using porch mode more in the coming months.

I almost always pitch the tarp at the same angle as the hammock (foot end higher and head end almost touching the head end hammock suspension) and I always enter from the foot end so the extra headroom is appreciated. I find it does a better job of controlling water runoff too. That said, sometimes there's no need to get down and tight and I'll pitch the tarp level and higher up.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I'm with cougarmeat on this one, though I rarely do porch mode. Not sure why. I suppose I don't spend that much time lounging in the hammock, where a view is necessary. When the weather is exceptionally nice, I'll do a quaterback mode.. but that's it. I hereby commit to using porch mode more in the coming months.

I almost always pitch the tarp at the same angle as the hammock (foot end higher and head end almost touching the head end hammock suspension) and I always enter from the foot end so the extra headroom is appreciated. I find it does a better job of controlling water runoff too. That said, sometimes there's no need to get down and tight and I'll pitch the tarp level and higher up.
    ^^^ This and cougarmeat. I used to never do porch mode and now I nearly always pitch semi-porch mode (one side) simply because I like to pitch the tarp right down to the hammock SRL for maximum coverage with a smaller tarp.

Here one side is low for the wind (and boy was it windy!), and no pole on the far corner. Yes I have to bend over to get in, but I'm still flexible enough that it is no trouble for me.

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    TominMN, I am mostly in Porch Mode; sometimes one, sometimes two poles. I will also use external pole mod to support the panel pulls. These configurations can allow a rain puddle to form on the tarp.

Clearly, with a conventional “A” rigging, all the rain will run down the sides. But that’s not how I roll. I have to inspect the final setting, making sure there is a path-to-ground for any water that might pool up. Raising one end can assist with that. Can allow a longer tarp to fit in a smaller distance. Can create a more welcome entrance (no ducking).
    Makes total sense with porch mode. Not something I do much, particularly in the rain.

As far as ducking, I tend to enter under the head end so, with the head end of the hammock lower, it's not confining at all.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thank you everyone for the help!

Using the V method I was able to get the tarp TAUT, and low enough to protect myself from the rain over the weekend.

Still on that learning curve, but things like this are very helpful.

Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FastHamFreddy View Post

Using the V method I was able to get the tarp TAUT, and low enough to protect myself from the rain over the weekend.

Cheers!

Nice deployment all 'round — looks quite weather-worthy!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WB Traveler, Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, woopies,
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FastHamFreddy View Post

Cheers!
    Looks fantastic man! Glad it worked out. You can set your hiking poles on top of your ridgeline as pole mods for your panel pulls. Works like a charm and keeps you from clotheslining yourself in the night. I learned that one the hard way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." - Marthe Troly-Curtin

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Nice deployment all 'round — looks quite weather-worthy!
    Thanks, the only thing I messed up was not setting it high enough, was a little too low. But after 10 miles and carrying other peoples gear I was too tired to fix it. haha

Quote Originally Posted by robfishman View Post
    Looks fantastic man! Glad it worked out. You can set your hiking poles on top of your ridgeline as pole mods for your panel pulls. Works like a charm and keeps you from clotheslining yourself in the night. I learned that one the hard way

I was going to try that, but I heard with the 15D Silpoly, that it could end up causing damage to the tarp.

Do you have any experience with this?

Hammock
    WB Traveler, Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, woopies,
    Images
    I do not have any xp with a 15d silpoly, just 20d and no trouble with that. I’ve been using my hiking poles for panel pulls on my DCF for years with no issues at all. With any panel pull mod on a tarp hung below the ridgeline you are placing your poles on the ridgeline, not the tarp and then you can control the amount of tension you put on the poles and pulls depending on what you use to attach them. I started out using zing-it mini-whoopies but have moved to simple 3/32 shock cord loops. It’s just enough tension to pull the tarp out without pulling it to the extreme.

"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." - Marthe Troly-Curtin

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234