I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Might be that your 12' tarp is a bit too long for your 11' hammock thus the rubbing and problems.
    Below is a photo of my 11' tarp over my 11' hammock. Plenty of room at the ends. And even then sometimes on some pitches I can get my suspension touching my tarp. It settles once I get in the hammock.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    It’s not rubbing the ridge line, it’s rubbing the actual tarp.

I know I can hang the tarp higher, but this wouldn’t protect me from rain or wind if I did. And if I hang the hammock so the tarp is low enough, then there is no slack in the hammock ridge line.

I am going to try the V method tonight, that may be the solution I need, and I will get some photos ASAP. I thought I posted some, but having issues with the mobile site (don’t have the app).

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Photos are below.

Thanks Shug, that is my concern. Just confused as I have seen people using 12 and 13 ft tarps with their hammocks, figured it was a user error on my end. Looking to get a Winterdream tarp, so I suppose this will just be fair weather, and get an 11' Winterdream.

Hoping the V method will hang the tarp closer to the ground so it can prevent wind at the very least.

Thanks again everyone.

IMG_3085.jpg
    IMG_3100.png

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    From looking at the pic it seems your suspension angle is way off

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    So the problem is you’re using a 12’ tarp over a shorter hammock. That’s going to limit how low you can go with the tarp before there is contact. Exactly why I moved from a 12’ took an 11’ tarp. There is only one solution i know of that doesn’t involve replacing your tarp. Forum member Sqidmark sewed a second set of ridge tie out points to the ridge seam which gave him the best of both worlds..

When it was really foul out he could use one or both of the shorter 11’ tie outs to get the tarp low and tight, but still had the option of using the original tie outs and the full 12’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FastHamFreddy View Post
    Photos are below.

Thanks Shug, that is my concern. Just confused as I have seen people using 12 and 13 ft tarps with their hammocks, figured it was a user error on my end. Looking to get a Winterdream tarp, so I suppose this will just be fair weather, and get an 11' Winterdream.

Hoping the V method will hang the tarp closer to the ground so it can prevent wind at the very least.

Thanks again everyone.

IMG_3085.jpg
    IMG_3100.png
    Try lining your suspension and tarp up. That seems the problem from your photos.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    I moved to a 10x10 that I connect right to my hammock straps. It's a diy winter tarp but I can get fully enclosed except maybe 8-10" off the ground all the way around. Kam snaps for the doors. Shug is right, in the second photo the hammock strap is not coming out at the beastie d or ridge loop.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    A crude estimation that should help:

- Hammock about 16" off ground (good sitting "chair" height)
    - Hang hammock (shoot for 30° angle on straps)
    - Hang tarp ridgeline about 6" above hammock straps on tree. Closer is possible with V setup
    - Stomp ground with your heel before inserting stakes if necessary. They can pull out easily in softer soil.

If you're really focused on getting the tarp low, you can still do this easily with a long tarp. Heck it could be a 16' tarp if you wanted...just offset the tarp a little by staking one side out farther:

In this photo, I could have dropped the tarp down to, or BELOW the hammock suspension.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Yup, make sure the hammock strap is directly above the tarp ridgeline on the tree. That will help. The tension on the side pullouts can affect how the tarp ridge lines up with the hammock suspension, too. That looks like a nice tarp, with reinforced edges that should stand up to contact with the tarp strap. You've got it hung very low in the pictures. Are you sure it won't protect you from rain if it's hung a foot higher with just the windward side staked quite low. It's nice to have some room to move around under the tarp.
    Last edited by WV; 03-11-2020 at 09:10.

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Might be that your 12' tarp is a bit too long for your 11' hammock thus the rubbing and problems.
    Below is a photo of my 11' tarp over my 11' hammock. Plenty of room at the ends. And even then sometimes on some pitches I can get my suspension touching my tarp. It settles once I get in the hammock.
    Shug
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Try lining your suspension and tarp up. That seems the problem from your photos.
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Yup, make sure the hammock strap is directly above the tarp ridgeline on the tree. That will help. The tension on the side pullouts can affect how the tarp ridge lines up with the hammock suspension, too. That looks like a nice tarp, with reinforced edges that should stand up to contact with the tarp strap. You've got it hung very low in the pictures. Are you sure it won't protect you from rain if it's hung a foot higher with just the windward side staked quite low. It's nice to have some room to move around under the tarp.
    I have a 12' UGQ WD w/ 11ft hammocks... I don't have a problem w/ the suspension hitting the tarp. It hits my suspension V sometimes (Dutch Stingz on each end, no separate ridgeline).. I do hang it higher as I'm 6'3" and w/ the doors, I have No worries about getting wet. I never liked just a hex tarp.. just me... could never stay dry in anything but still winds.

I also have an 11' Warbonnet ThunderFly... This length is perfectly sufficient for an 11' hammock. So, an 11' UGQ WD would also have been adequate... that said. the 12' UGQ WD is still my favorite tarp, an absolute palace w/ the internal poles... I take it for all my canoe trips and any other time I just feel like I want the beauty of the wide open vistas and option to hunker down to o'chit mode in 30secs.

So, like others have said.... w/ your 12' hammock... A) if it's too low, it will hit B) lining up the hammock and tarp suspension to the same side of the tree will help. Once you sit in it, it's probably no big deal

Good Luck...

In the images attached... it rained every night of both trips. Stayed perfectly dry on these trips and every trip w/ this UGQ WD 12 tarp. In the hunkered down image, the hang was on a hillside and the wind/rain came from the uphill side. I intentionally 'rotated' the tarp so the downhill side was higher... from this perch, I was able to keep the wind and rain out, but also was able to raise the other side to be able to watch the rain and the valley below while snuggly napping in the hammock... It was a great rain and hang!

22042247_1851431354871161_2288528450794259956_o.jpg
    17493205_1632275543453411_2311794228542423425_o (1).jpg
    Last edited by Us5Camp; 03-12-2020 at 09:18.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast