Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I just remembered that there's another method. In fact, I sometimes use it myself, even though my bridges don't rock much for some reason. Outdoors I don't bother. I lie there, and it stops rocking in a minute or so. Often I fall asleep about the same time. However, indoors or on the porch I'm usually hanging close to a wall or a work bench. If I lurch into the hammock ungracefully and set it rocking, I can reach out and gently push on the adjacent solid surface just hard enough to stop it swinging at or near the midpoint of its arc. Then I slowly pull my finger back so it stops exactly centered. You might accomplish the same thing by tying a line from the side of the hammock to a stake or a nearby bush or tree, but don't use a bungee. Just leave a little slack in the line. When the hammock rocks, pull gently on the line to stop it and let off slowly. I'm speculating, but it's worth a try.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I just remembered that there's another method. In fact, I sometimes use it myself, even though my bridges don't rock much for some reason. Outdoors I don't bother. I lie there, and it stops rocking in a minute or so. Often I fall asleep about the same time. However, indoors or on the porch I'm usually hanging close to a wall or a work bench. If I lurch into the hammock ungracefully and set it rocking, I can reach out and gently push on the adjacent solid surface just hard enough to stop it swinging at or near the midpoint of its arc. Then I slowly pull my finger back so it stops exactly centered. You might accomplish the same thing by tying a line from the side of the hammock to a stake or a nearby bush or tree, but don't use a bungee. Just leave a little slack in the line. When the hammock rocks, pull gently on the line to stop it and let off slowly. I'm speculating, but it's worth a try.
    You're speculating is just fine...

My wife has a touch of vertigo for lack of a better term; so when she is my test dummy in the basement I have a whoopee sling hanging off the rafter that she can reach up and grab to stop the swing.

Unfortunately my children like to use it for the exact opposite purpose, lol. In the field... you could possibly just stake a solid line out to the ground that you could lay across the hammock and put on the brakes.

If I can take a turn at speculating... I'd guess you don't swing as much as some due to simple experience.
    You probably don't even think about it much at this point but yer smooth entry can vastly reduce the initial swing.
    Next time you're showing bridges off, watch how much they swing when new folks just plop in.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    You might experiment with how tight you are hanging the RR. Making it very tight (flat) will have a different experience from hanging it very loose. The angle for a bridge isn't the same as a GE hammock.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    AHE top and bottom
    Suspension
    Straps so far
    Thanks to all for the input. I think it was just that it's out of the ordinary for me to swing at all that woke me. No doubt I'll get used to it, probably even enjoy it like many of you.

In fact I lived on a sailboat some years back and truly loved the gentle rocking of the boat at night. I'm sure it'll be the same in my RR.

Thanks again!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    >In fact I lived on a sailboat some years back and truly loved the gentle rocking of the boat at night.

So what you need to do is make a “wind chime” with a vane (wind catcher) large enough to bang some metal together so it sounds like boat rigging. Then it will seem like you are right at home in the marina
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    12' HG DCF tarp w/
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek xl
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by HomesteaderWB View Post
    I took my WBRR out for its first real overnight this weekend. Man, I loved it! But for one thing: I'm an "active" sleeper, and every time I rolled from side to side I set the hammock to swinging which woke me and screwed up my sleep. It would settle down, I'd drift off, sleep a bit, roll again, wake again, swing again, and... You get the picture.

So what do you other night-time kangaroos do to mitigate the movement? Or do you just get used to it?
    Be thankful the hammock gives you room to roll around. I too am an active sleeper and hated trying to sleep in a GE hammock. Love my RR.

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Air
    Tarp
    In the market...
    Insulation
    Air Pad + Mummy
    Suspension
    Becket to straps
    I’ve got 40+ nights in my REI Quarter Dome Air bridge hammock and still don’t like the swaying. I think it’s safe to say I never will. I took a cue from Treem hammock and tried tying a secondary “suspension” triangle from each spreader bar to each tree, low to the ground, and tight! Works like a charm. Total game changer for me. Makes the hammock completely stable. Treem has a video that shows it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I simply adore hammock sway! I feel a bit sad for Hangers who dislike the swinging sensation.

I have vestibular issues such a vertigo. I get the swinging sensation at inappropriate times which is upsetting, swinging in the hammock is great I love it. I have hung through some major storms, six way motion, I think how fortunate I am to have such a wonderful best to enjoy the storm AND stay warm and dry.

Some how I become very ill at sea in rough weather, but not in my hammock.

For me my RR required a bit of trust building. At first I worried about rolling or getting dumped out of my bridge, quickly I figured out getting into the bridge was the only challenge for me. The initial swing is disconcerting, I just hang on and wait for my brain (inner ear) to adjust.

With my bridge hammocks I tend to just passout. I move very little. When I hang in a storm I stay awake as long as possible enjoying being one with the elements.

As others have suggested your brain may just need time to discover you are NOT in danger when your hammock sways.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12