DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images

Question Gear Creators Collaboration subthread

Attention DIY'ers and MYOG creators;

I would like to formally ask to have a sub-forum created for DIY creators who want to collaborate for our members' common good and the good of the creator likewise;

We are seeking like minded gear creators who would like to participate in a grass roots movement where creators donate skills, time, labor, materials, knowledge, etc.. in exchange for other creators skills, time, labor, materials, or even crafted items. This collection of items would be a "gear closet" for this stuff that has been donated by other members. I think this is a service that has an immediate need here in our community especially when I see folks requesting info on who does repairs, modifications, advice, etc.. from other members or even from our cottage vendors. It is quite frustrating when you are "stuck" and don't have means to fix it. I recall when I first become involved here trying to figure out if I was even able to create what I was seeing here and it was very tedious at times. We have subforums set up for our cottage vendors, how about setting something up for all of us creative folks? Really something for all of us?

1) I would like to see a sub-forum created specfically for this purpose. I propose we share contact information via PM's and spreadsheets and work this forum similar to the WTS WTT WTB sales forum where members here would post like; "Assistance needed - West - Colorado - DIY underquilt insulation".Then any member who felt they had the skills to assist would reply; "Pledge Down" or "Pledge Sewing Skills". Symantics aside I think this would work well and help to save perhaps a bit on time and money if we break our help into regions similar to how our trip reports or group hangs are listed. Creating members would then list the skills they planned on bartering for "credit" and we have a master list of who does what. Once work was completed the individual who collaborated would receive "credit" for their efforts and such credit would be recorded for use later, all tracked on a spreadsheet. Perhaps when the collaborator posts their pledge to help they post what they would like in return or once the "gear closet" was fully stocked up and running this wouldn't be necessary.

2) Similar to the For Sale Forum, I think that requests for help be bumped weekly to ensure we don't have a log jam or requests that aren't being maintained, and I propose that you are only allowed one request at a time also similar to the For Sale Forum.

3) I propose that we create a list of Services Available to our members that would be a "header" for every post to the forum so that members could see what was offered. Donating members could look over a list of who donated what and ensure we have enough people, supplies etc.. to help in all requests. Perhaps a mini sticky? Anyhow a list of what could be requested.

4) All members would have to have a minimum of posts before eligibility also similar to the Buy sell trade deal.

5) The "Gear Closet" that we create would be open to all members and items could be checked out similar to a library loan. All items in the closet would have to be maintained - perhaps several individuals with flexible schedules could help in this as gear repair can stack up quickly. In addition to items in the closet, perhaps we could get assistance from cottage vendors willing to donate gear that didn't sell, or perhaps just donate gear in exchange for free advertisement and positive word of mouth on social media platforms? Not sure really but hopefully something could be worked out with them. It would be truly amazing if we could set something up here where members could "try before you buy"!!

The benefit of doing something like this is huge. Members who aren't able to attend group hangs could try gear out before making the plunge of creating it or buying it. Gear Creators Collaboration could perhaps be utilized to "test" new and improved gear from other creators all the way up to cottage vendors. Collaboration in this manner might also be used as market research for other professionals. Perhaps we even get highly educated members to donate they knowledge of physics, or highly technical information for other members if needed. These are some first initial thoughts I had about this and I would LOVE to hear back from any and all that are willing to participate so please PM GilligansWorld with your name and contact information and lets get this ball rolling.
    If this appeals to even one more of you I think this stands a chance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

I see some advantages to what you are proposing, but as complex as it sounds, and rather than creating... what is essentially... a "seperate entity" under the HF umbrella... and outside of the current pervue being offered... I wonder if it wouldn't be a better idea to establish a new... something like... "Hammockers CO-OP" forum/group completely seperate from HF but be linked in the HF "Manufacturers & Services" section?

That would give a much broader scope and function (which is what I believe you are looking for), seperate policies that would not have to adhere to, or conflict with, HF policies and would not require additional administrative resources from the HF owner/administrators.

A more robust PM and group messaging system would be a great advantage and there are free forum tools out there that allow you to employ online work group collaboration utilities/project flow sheets that would simplify ongoing project development and resource allocation and managment. "Community" file sharing would also seem to be of great importance as well. As you noted... a lot get's "lost" when everything is embedded within a specific thread. It should be "easy" for new members to jump into, or exisiting members to jump "in and out" of, an ongoing project without having to spend copious amounts of time "acclimating" to an ongoing project.

The proposal has merit and is likely to get some support, but I don't know if attempting to operate something like that under the HF "umbrella" is the best fit... and, ultimately, have to remember that the forum is not a democracy. It's up to the HF owner to decide what features/services he offers and how much of his time and resources he's willing to contribute to the hammocking community.

All we can really do is offer up suggestions and ideas (preferably in the "Feedback, Suggestions, and Site Questions" thread) and appreciate the commitment and selfless service to the hammocking community the owner, admins, and moderators "do" provide.

Just some points to ponder...
    Last edited by Yarome; 03-09-2020 at 04:13.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I am going to move this thread to the Feedback area. Let's see what comments come in on it. I can already say it will need to be simplified and member controlled rather than being moderated like the FS/WTB/WTT area. That section takes a dedicated moderator to keep it on track and there are no moderator cycles left to take on more responsibilities.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Certainly sounds doable
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

• + New Posts