The irony I note:
Most of us SUL folks here know each other from BPL or Whiteblaze where the main focus is backpacking and we came here for the very specialized hammock knowledge with zero interest in the rest of the system folks here used. Though we are happy to return the favor with our hard won knowledge that you all have shared if given the opportunity.

The optimism I note:
I have always enjoyed the diverse outdoor users who gather here out of mutual enjoyment of hammocks. From home sleepers, RV users, motorized travelers, paddlers, hunters, base campers, bushcrafters, scouts, walk in site users, casual backpackers and even a few long distance hikers. I think that it is encouraging to see that what was a bit of a revolution in backpacking/long distance hiking is filtering through all outdoor users in much the same way that hammock camping is crossing into each of these disciplines.

A decade ago I woulda struck myself dead if I caught myself seriously discussing a backpacking kit that involved a hammock.

A few years back not only did I enter the hammock space, but I very seriously ended up designing FKT/speed record systems based around a hammock that were people bet their attempts on.

Then I ended up taking that knowledge to build the largest bridge hammocks on the planet and getting the refreshing chance to work with fellow outdoorsfolks who all visit the woods a little differently.

I don't think that this site needs another layer of rules or pigeonholing of any aspect of the hammock world.
I find it exciting that some hammock folks who thought backpacking was out of reach are rediscovering that path through the woods.

I have yet to meet a backpacker who doesn't appreciate saving a little weight, nor a hammock user who doesn't understand that they are making a minor concession in favor of comfort over grams.
That goes for some of the fastest folks on the trail and some of the biggest of big guys- we are all here to learn something from each other. If you got it all figured out, not much to discuss. If you're just here to beat someone over the head with what you've got all figured out... most of us tend to figure out who those folks are and calmly skim by their post without calling for a moderator or avoiding a sub-forum.

The outdoors is a big place, roughly the size of this whole planet last I checked. A little wild-ness in our diversity of opinions makes for a better forum overall. I am not offended when someone discusses the best stand to use while motorcycle camping. It may not be relevant for my next backpacking trip, but it may be relevant to me next time I go to a state park with the family. Course all I have to do is click or not click to solve all my problems. I don't find the discussion bogged down or my brain overly taxed if I have to read a post not hyper-directly related to the hyper specific topic at hand. I probably won't be dutch oven cooking bacon on my next trip but I sure will eat the heck out of it at the next group hang.

I enjoy this place and look at it the same a group hang. A great diversity of folks with a great diversity of opinion. Be polite,just smile and nod your head when needed. Have a beer, eat some bacon, move on to the next campfire or just go hang your own hang if the current discussion isn't one you'd care to join.

To address the elephant in the room; This particular hang has been a bit lacking in participation lately. I think we should all lighten up our attitudes a bit, even if we don't all want to lighten up our packs.
I miss some of those folks who have drifted away from this here fire after getting burned a few too many times. Facebook is annoying and I'd rather hang here.