Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    The irony I note:
    Most of us SUL folks here know each other from BPL or Whiteblaze where the main focus is backpacking and we came here for the very specialized hammock knowledge with zero interest in the rest of the system folks here used. Though we are happy to return the favor with our hard won knowledge that you all have shared if given the opportunity.

The optimism I note:
    I have always enjoyed the diverse outdoor users who gather here out of mutual enjoyment of hammocks. From home sleepers, RV users, motorized travelers, paddlers, hunters, base campers, bushcrafters, scouts, walk in site users, casual backpackers and even a few long distance hikers. I think that it is encouraging to see that what was a bit of a revolution in backpacking/long distance hiking is filtering through all outdoor users in much the same way that hammock camping is crossing into each of these disciplines.

A decade ago I woulda struck myself dead if I caught myself seriously discussing a backpacking kit that involved a hammock.

A few years back not only did I enter the hammock space, but I very seriously ended up designing FKT/speed record systems based around a hammock that were people bet their attempts on.

Then I ended up taking that knowledge to build the largest bridge hammocks on the planet and getting the refreshing chance to work with fellow outdoorsfolks who all visit the woods a little differently.

I don't think that this site needs another layer of rules or pigeonholing of any aspect of the hammock world.
    I find it exciting that some hammock folks who thought backpacking was out of reach are rediscovering that path through the woods.

I have yet to meet a backpacker who doesn't appreciate saving a little weight, nor a hammock user who doesn't understand that they are making a minor concession in favor of comfort over grams.
    That goes for some of the fastest folks on the trail and some of the biggest of big guys- we are all here to learn something from each other. If you got it all figured out, not much to discuss. If you're just here to beat someone over the head with what you've got all figured out... most of us tend to figure out who those folks are and calmly skim by their post without calling for a moderator or avoiding a sub-forum.

The outdoors is a big place, roughly the size of this whole planet last I checked. A little wild-ness in our diversity of opinions makes for a better forum overall. I am not offended when someone discusses the best stand to use while motorcycle camping. It may not be relevant for my next backpacking trip, but it may be relevant to me next time I go to a state park with the family. Course all I have to do is click or not click to solve all my problems. I don't find the discussion bogged down or my brain overly taxed if I have to read a post not hyper-directly related to the hyper specific topic at hand. I probably won't be dutch oven cooking bacon on my next trip but I sure will eat the heck out of it at the next group hang.

I enjoy this place and look at it the same a group hang. A great diversity of folks with a great diversity of opinion. Be polite,just smile and nod your head when needed. Have a beer, eat some bacon, move on to the next campfire or just go hang your own hang if the current discussion isn't one you'd care to join.

To address the elephant in the room; This particular hang has been a bit lacking in participation lately. I think we should all lighten up our attitudes a bit, even if we don't all want to lighten up our packs.
    I miss some of those folks who have drifted away from this here fire after getting burned a few too many times. Facebook is annoying and I'd rather hang here.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Here are the thoughts that keep coming back to mind...

HF is my first stop.. Literally. The first thing I do before checking my email or the like is dive into our forums. I'll never go to the ground intentionally, and my focus is keenly aimed at backpacking and hiking with a hammock. Being a devotee of all things simplicity (when it comes to the trail), it's inevitable that I have to depart the comfort of HF in order to be submerged in topics that cater to lightening my load, simplifying my kit or both. Sadly, none of the alternative forums successfully merge the two interests of hammocking and ultra lite. Any such discussions are the minority if ever at all.

I frequent r/ultralite and r/hammockcamping often. The UL crowd on reddit are predominantly long distance thru hikers and if I were to post a hammock related topic there likely result is.. 1) lack of interest, 2) complete dismissal (take it elsewhere), or 3) lack of knowledge (any greater than mine). Posts and responses on r/hammockcamping are.. well, generally not useful. The experience level there is anemic at best and there is little to be garnered other than an occasional pretty picture.

How could I NOT want to merge these two interests together here and have HF be the only forum I visit? I know we have the occasional UL topic pop up, but I would love to have a single forum that is the de facto resource for ultra lite hammock camping and backpacking.

I get why the UL community here is rallying in support of the idea.

What i don't get is why those who don't feel strongly about UL hammock backpacking feel so strongly about lobbying against it? Why do you care? I don't give a hoot about canoeing or kayaking (neither of which have anything to do with hammocking, per se), but I would never feel so strongly I should lobby against a Paddling sub-forum. The Paddling forum has three new posts in 2020 and none of them actually started with a comment about hammocks.

Why not test it for a month.. if it goes awry, or there is lack of interest, kill it.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    What i don't get is why those who don't feel strongly about UL hammock backpacking feel so strongly about lobbying against it? Why do you care?
    Because you're enjoying the wilderness incorrectly.

Even worse, those FKT people who cannot possibly be having a good time. I mean, how can you smell the roses while blasting by at 4 mph?
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Because you're enjoying the wilderness incorrectly.
    That there ^^^^ is funny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    That there ^^^^ is funny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    lol but credit where it's due... Ralph Burgess from some years back on BPL
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I like the comments on this page ... I fail to see how a subforum could POSSIBLY hurt. And I believe it would help here.

Seems natural and complementary here. Bill's correct about participation lacking. UL could certainly help.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    I also like the ideas of a separate sub forum
    It just makes things easier to search and such

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    A UL sub-forum sounds highly redundant to me. Anything UL that you want to talk about can be talked about in existing sub-forums.
    I agree with SS.
    Hammock Forums has always been about light gear.
    There are no bushcraft canvas hammocks or canvas tarp folders here.

Just like the suggestion for a standalone DIY subfolder when all of HF topics have and encourages DIY discussions.
    Light weight hammock gear is readily discussed in every folder.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I agree with SS.
    Hammock Forums has always been about light gear.
    There are no bushcraft canvas hammocks or canvas tarp folders here.

Just like the suggestion for a standalone DIY subfolder when all of HF topics have and encourages DIY discussions.
    Light weight hammock gear is readily discussed in every folder.
    That's the crux of it.

Lightening one's pack weight is about so much more than simply buying lightweight gear.

It is also about expanding one's skill set and learning ways of doing things with less stuff.

A good example of this is building fires. There are many people who apparently believe that it is impossible to make a fire without a saw or an ax or, at the very least, a big honkin' knife to baton wood. In fact, none of these things are necessary. So the alternative is not a lighter saw or ax, it's no saw nor ax at all.

Many people think UL is an exercise in asceticism—you're going to be cold, hungry, uncomfortable, unprepared, relying on fragile gear that is going to let you down. None of these things are true.

But it does require a more thoughtful approach, and getting out to test one's kit and skills in less-than-ideal conditions. Backpacking in perfect weather in an idyllic location with gentle terrain is fun, but we learn nothing from it.

Seems to me—and forum thread titles seem to indicate—that there is a lot of interest in going lighter, but not a bunch of understanding about the other essential concepts that go far beyond merely acquiring a bunch of lightweight gear.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    That's the crux of it.

Lightening one's pack weight is about so much more than simply buying lightweight gear.

It is also about expanding one's skill set and learning ways of doing things with less stuff.

A good example of this is building fires. There are many people who apparently believe that it is impossible to make a fire without a saw or an ax or, at the very least, a big honkin' knife to baton wood. In fact, none of these things are necessary. So the alternative is not a lighter saw or ax, it's no saw nor ax at all.

Many people think UL is an exercise in asceticism—you're going to be cold, hungry, uncomfortable, unprepared, relying on fragile gear that is going to let you down. None of these things are true.

But it does require a more thoughtful approach, and getting out to test one's kit and skills in less-than-ideal conditions. Backpacking in perfect weather in an idyllic location with gentle terrain is fun, but we learn nothing from it.

Seems to me—and forum thread titles seem to indicate—that there is a lot of interest in going lighter, but not a bunch of understanding about the other essential concepts that go far beyond merely acquiring a bunch of lightweight gear.
    I have no argument with what you are saying. But learning Ultra Light camping techniques is a bit out of the scope of this forum.
    Our parent forum is centered around backpacking and hiking. We specialize in hammocks and hammock accessories. Nothing more.

Good Lord I hate quoting standard procedures since that was something I had to do when I worked for a living. But with that said, here it is:

III. Stay On-Topic. This is a moderated site about hammocks. Off-topic posts will be removed from the hammock sub-forums.

HF was started to become the single best source of hammock information on the internet. Our goal is to provide a respectful forum for hammock enthusiasts, and to ensure that it runs smoothly…not to grow the forum, nor to provide a friendly discussion forum for general outdoor enthusiasts. Discussion of knives, stoves, paddling, backpacks and other non-hammock related issues detracts from our primary objective. Excellent information on all of these topics can be found on dozens of other sites around the internet...but only this site can claim to have the most experts on hammocks in the world and we plan to keep that focus.

All threads not directly related to hammocks will be moved to the Donating Members section. Fewer posts, but higher quality ones focused on our primary mission area, is a perfectly acceptable outcome of this policy. Please note that if you are not a donating member, you will not have access to a thread you started that gets moved to the off-topic area. You may either participate on topic in the free access areas or donate to get access.

This policy is not open for debate, so please do not email the moderators with requests that we run this forum like others you frequent.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 03-11-2020 at 02:19.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast