DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I add my request for a UL dedicated forum. It's a complex and all-encompassing topic. It would be much easier than hoping to find the rogue post that might make mention to it.

Why not run a month long test and see what level of activity it attracts. Seems the technology is there, since the donating forum was recently opened for a month. If someone thinks it's unnecessary or redundant, they can choose to not visit.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I add my request for a UL dedicated forum. It's a complex and all-encompassing topic. It would be much easier than hoping to find the rogue post that might make mention to it.

Why not run a month long test and see what level of activity it attracts. Seems the technology is there, since the donating forum was recently opened for a month. If someone thinks it's unnecessary or redundant, they can choose to not visit.
    Now that right there is a novel concept!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

So who is going to determine what is ultralight? People have different perceptions on how/what ultralight is and how it relates to them.

I have a feeling that people won't follow the guidelines and the thread would still turn into a mix of information. The current thread category system works fine to me and I think the mods have enough to do as it is than to monitor another thread to help keep it relevant to "ultralight"...

Couldn’t we argue that the long distance camping sub forum is kind of that?

Or perhaps maybe alter its description to include these kinds of discussions?

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Personally, I don't really care if there is an ultralight sub-forum. But if it would stand to benefit a number of forum members, I don't see any issue with it. This type of subforum exists on other outlets like Reddit already; and I don't really see much misuse of it- in terms of inappropriate information or gear. Most folks who ascribe to the ultralight mentality already know there is some variation in what is defined as "UL." For those who don't think there is any benefit or purpose for a UL subforum, then you don't have to visit it. That's just my $.02.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Let me see if I can clarify UL a bit.

If you are discussing your hammock, tarp, quilts, or even ridge bags (think things directly related to your hammock) talking UL is perfectly fine in the public area of the forums.

Where posts run into issues is when the thread is general in nature or it turns into things like UL cooking gear, water gear, hiking gear, backpacks, etc etc. These items will get moved to the Donating Member area. The mods try to post a warning when the thread is headed down the "rabbit hole" of non hammock gear but sometimes it is too far along or the thread was opened looking for feedback on non hammock related gear.

There are a number of placed in the DM area where UL gear can be discussed to your hearts content. Think water, food, cooking, even the off topic area could be used if you want something more general.

There are a number of places in the open forum area where hammock related UL gear can be discuss. Think UQ, Weather protection (tarps), TQ, or general for hammocks.

So far, I am not seeing the need for a specific UL gear area.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I'm not all rip-roarin' fired up about this, but it seems to annoy some people whenever UL alternatives are mentioned.

There are quite a few threads with titles that start with "Trying to lighten my......" and those threads tend to branch out quickly into other areas because lightening one's pack isn't about any one piece of gear but a systematic approach to reducing everything in the pack, and even the pack itself, and expanding skill set, knowledge base and experience to learn to do more with less stuff.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I'm not all rip-roarin' fired up about this, but it seems to annoy some people whenever UL alternatives are mentioned.

There are quite a few threads with titles that start with "Trying to lighten my......" and those threads tend to branch out quickly into other areas because lightening one's pack isn't about any one piece of gear but a systematic approach to reducing everything in the pack, and even the pack itself, and expanding skill set, knowledge base and experience to learn to do more with less stuff.
    You are correct and threads like you indicated normally do get moved to DM or a mod puts a note in it to stay on the topic of hammocks not misc. camping gear.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I’m going to try one more time to put this on the track I had in mind. It is NOT an issue of Moderators determining if the post should be relegated to an UL forum. It’s up to the poster to participate wherever they want. And yes, there are already sub-forums for all types of gear. BUT for those interested in UL concepts, they have to sleuth through those various forums to find UL information.

A UL sub-forum
    1) doesn’t take anything away from what is already there.
    2) doesn’t required the moderators judge if a post qualifies; they are not the ones to decide what is a (pro or con) UL post. Mentioning a non-UL product can point out it’s robustness advantage.
    3) gives those who have a keen interest in UL topics a place to discuss without seeking that information in many other forums.

If you are not a UL’er, I can understand a “what’s the point” view. It’s sort of like when my father and I once discussed certain medicinal plants that he was sure should be illegal. I suggested that, considering all the health issues, cigarettes should be made illegal too. Of course, as a smoker, he was against that. I said, “So as long as YOUR drug of chose is legal, you are fine with status quo.”

Sure there are forums for hammocks, tarps, and all the other gear. But it just seems to me that UL issues/gear come up often and it might be nice if those who have that focus had their own - if they chose to post there - an area that would allow a little broader discussion should a thread trend that way. It DOESN”T MEAN that they have to post there or that moderators have to decide to move posts there just because the post is UL in scope.

Okay - maybe this will help - everything in the “woman’s area” could be covered in forums that already exist. But it’s nice that there is a place where they can “discuss among themselves”. I’m just suggesting that those who have a keen interest in UL have the same option.

Let’s see - is there an emoji for a mic drop?
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 03-10-2020 at 12:45.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I vote for a dedicated subforum for UL. There will be enough participation to show its worth.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast