WBBB
    Tarp
    HG CF Tarp w/doors
    Insulation
    HGTQ WB Yeti
    Suspension
    CF/Poly Ti clips

Venting a Wooki?

Trying to decide what temp to order for a Wooki to go with my WBBB. I use a 20 degree set-up (with a Yeti) for summer and it works just fine. (For winter, definitely wanting a Wooki.) With night time temps down to say, 20 degrees, I am wondering if a 0 degree rating would be too warm. Doesn't look like the Wooki can be vented easily, but I've never used one, especially in cold temps. Appreciate any advice from those who have.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I rarely have to vent my Wookis. Granted, I do sleep very cold, but I also have not heard that complaint from other Wooki users. If you don't sleep super hot, a 0° Wooki should not be too warm at 20°. I'm sure by the time you're thinking about venting, you would already have switched to your Yeti.

However, it's as easy to vent a Wooki as it is to vent a Yeti. Simply extend the suspension. This is best done by adding a loop of the desired length to the foot end, and clipping the Wooki into the loop instead of the hammock suspension.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    At 20°F a 0°F UQ will not need venting. It is still cold enough at that temperature that venting the TQ will easily balance your thermal output. IME this might hold true for you even up to 40°F and maybe even warmer. But of course people vary widely in metabolism and preferences.

I was once in a situation where I was using a 0°F Incubator at 57°F and did not overheat. It was a 3-night trip with a strong weather front passing thru the first night. At midnight it was still about 55°F with howling wind, lightning and buckets of rain. By 7 a.m. it was 27°F and windy, and the lows the following 2 nights were 8°F and then 4°F.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    I have both, Wooki’s and Yeti’s, and I have no issues using the 0F Wooki in 20F temperatures and even warmer. I am an average sleeper, I don’t run warm or cold and find the 0F Wooki to be a fantastic general purpose winter UQ that balances weight and function perfectly. I feel the 0F Wooki runs a little colder than other 0F quilts because the sides don’t come up as high, but that is not a good or bad, just my own observation and I use that when determining what quilts I take. Average nighttime temperatures under 20F, I’ll take the Wooki. Above 20F, I’ll take the Yeti. Under 5F, a big fat standard UQ from any of the cottage companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HG CF Tarp w/doors
    Insulation
    HGTQ WB Yeti
    Suspension
    CF/Poly Ti clips
    Thank you. I noticed in your profile you added 3 oz. to the 0 degree. I wasn't planning on adding any extra. How is that working for you?
    Last edited by Tevye; 03-08-2020 at 09:52.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HG CF Tarp w/doors
    Insulation
    HGTQ WB Yeti
    Suspension
    CF/Poly Ti clips
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    At 20°F a 0°F UQ will not need venting. It is still cold enough at that temperature that venting the TQ will easily balance your thermal output. IME this might hold true for you even up to 40°F and maybe even warmer. But of course people vary widely in metabolism and preferences.

I was once in a situation where I was using a 0°F Incubator at 57°F and did not overheat. It was a 3-night trip with a strong weather front passing thru the first night. At midnight it was still about 55°F with howling wind, lightning and buckets of rain. By 7 a.m. it was 27°F and windy, and the lows the following 2 nights were 8°F and then 4°F.
    Good info. Thanks.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You can slide the Wooki over to vent if needed.
    See at 6:23 in video below.
    Or just loosen the band at the foot end to vent or add an s-biner or the likes to the head end to vent a little.
    But like the others, I have never needed to vent my 0º Wooki on 20º weather.
    Carry forth,
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HG CF Tarp w/doors
    Insulation
    HGTQ WB Yeti
    Suspension
    CF/Poly Ti clips
    Quote Originally Posted by m00ch View Post
    I have both, Wooki’s and Yeti’s, and I have no issues using the 0F Wooki in 20F temperatures and even warmer. I am an average sleeper, I don’t run warm or cold and find the 0F Wooki to be a fantastic general purpose winter UQ that balances weight and function perfectly. I feel the 0F Wooki runs a little colder than other 0F quilts because the sides don’t come up as high, but that is not a good or bad, just my own observation and I use that when determining what quilts I take. Average nighttime temperatures under 20F, I’ll take the Wooki. Above 20F, I’ll take the Yeti. Under 5F, a big fat standard UQ from any of the cottage companies.

Phone using Tapatalk
    In low temps, when using the Yeti, what do you do to keep your lower legs warm?

Started backpacking in the 70s. The longer I hike the colder the nights seem to get. Must be climate change, or the axis of the earth shifting. My wife has a theory, but it is so preposterous I won't bother you with it.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tevye View Post
    I noticed in your profile you added 3 oz. to the 0 degree. I wasn't planning on adding any extra. How is that working for you?
    As I said, I sleep extremely cold. I have yet to meet anyone who sleeps as cold as me. My 0° Wooki plus overfill is for me what a 20° Wooki is for everybody else. I have been using it at temps from 40° to 80°. It starts getting uncomfortable at around 78°, which is when I switch to my 20° Wooki

I need the overfill because I shake most of the down into the torso area. I quickly start feeling areas where the down is a bit thin under my torso. With the overfill, the leg area is not completely empty. I would always opt for overfill, but my needs are pretty special.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HG CF Tarp w/doors
    Insulation
    HGTQ WB Yeti
    Suspension
    CF/Poly Ti clips
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    You can slide the Wooki over to vent if needed.
    See at 6:23 in video below.
    Or just loosen the band at the foot end to vent or add an s-biner or the likes to the head end to vent a little.
    But like the others, I have never needed to vent my 0º Wooki on 20º weather.
    Carry forth,
    Shug

Greetings! Man you make great videos. Takes a lot to be able to entertain and inform at the same time.
    Just watched that one last night, and as much as I enjoy all your stuff, I kept thinking waking up too cold and too hot wouldn't make for a good night's sleep. Of course, I have to water plants so often in the middle of the night that it probably wouldn't matter. Thanks for all you do. I always mention your vids to anyone expressing interest in hammocking.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast