Breathable Noseeum/Nanoseeum Netting

I posted on here a few years ago when I was organizaing a boating expedition to the Bahamas where we were going to stay on the boat for 5 days. I received some feedback here and read a ton of material, much of which I incorporated into our trip. thank you again.

My new venture this year is to Andros Bahamas, which is reknown for being perhaps the place with the worse bug situation in the bahamas. While we are sleeping on the boat again and away from land (half mile to a mile) and this distance should ensure very few bugs, I would like to bring a noseeum/nanoseeum net that works against bugs AND is breathable. i understand that the better it works against the bugs the less breathable it will be, but i dont know where that balance is, hence the reason for this post. I intend to wash/soak the netting in Permethrin. The net would need to cover the bow of my boat from the center console to the bow, or about 8 feed wide by 11 feet long.

i have seen the video where someone sews together two sheer window panels purchased at Lowe's or Walmart. Here is the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQRoEpK-7SY. Don't know if this material is very breathable.

I have also found a large military mosquito nets from Ebay (recommended here) but again I am not sure on the mesh size. https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOSQUITO-NE...kAAOSw9ltd7rNN

I would appreciate your direction/feedback.
    Last edited by Boat Camping; 03-05-2020 at 22:00.

I would definitely count on needing netting. Half a mile is nothing for many insects. Not sure if sand flies, aka no-see-ums, would venture out that far but I'd want to be sure. No-see-um netting is reasonably breathable. It does cut down on nice cooling evening breezes though. I don't have any experience with the nano stuff but my gut feeling is that it may be overkill. Noseeum has worked just fine for me along the gulf coast.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I used the 0.5 nano noseeum on a Half Wit style hammock. It isn't much less breathable than an 0.67, but is a ton lighter. Not sure if that makes a difference on your boat trip. I may be wrong, but it is designed more for building baffles in quilts than for keeping bugs out, though it does work for that purpose.

What I didn't like about it is..
    1) it is feather light and whispy. The slightes breeze sends the stuff all over the place. Keeping it on me in the hammock was near impossible
    2) it is really delicate.. look at it wrong and it tears.

I expect the window treatment route would be similar to the 0.50 noseeum. And the army surplus stuff is going to be brutally overkill IMHO.

0.90 Noseeum is too heavy for my style of backpacking but is really strong stuff & is very affordable. And 1.0 Monolite is even stronger though a bit more expensive. Both would be better than the super light 0.50 or the army issue. That said, I prefer the 0.67 with an occasional permetherin treatment.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    I would definitely count on needing netting. Half a mile is nothing for many insects. Not sure if sand flies, aka no-see-ums, would venture out that far but I'd want to be sure. No-see-um netting is reasonably breathable. It does cut down on nice cooling evening breezes though. I don't have any experience with the nano stuff but my gut feeling is that it may be overkill. Noseeum has worked just fine for me along the gulf coast.
    in our trip in 2018 we didnīt need netting because we were sufficiently far away, perhaps a mile. again, we might be that far away on this trip, but given the bug situation in Andros, i would like to have it just in case. I wonīt be setting up unless i need to. i also have a silnylon tarp in case in rains that i purchased in 2018 that will be set up but not entirely so that we have a breeze while we sleep. it worked perfectly in 2018.

as to weight, that is really not an issue.

the army mosquito net is attractive only because it has generally the dimensions that we need.

• + New Posts