Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images

Trade Skilled labor for goods

I used to belong to a co-op of sorts locally here where like-minded landscapers would donate old gear, folks would donate time, manufacturers would donate product, etc... - anyhow those that donated were eligible for stuff in the "Traders Closet" I think it was called. A lot of first time home buyers for example would donate time helping other people install systems in order to learn how to do it themselves, then they would trade their time for price reduced products - a lot of times like spray heads from Rain Bird....

Anything out there like this now for the camping crew?

If not, are there like minded folks out there who would try something like that here? For example people that have sewing skills but might not have the funds to purchase down...trade your time sewing a shell for somebody and then maybe have access to cheaper or perhaps free down donated by a down supplier? Perhaps the fabric is donated by a fabric supplier? Perhaps nothing even fancy just remnants or things that they couldn't sell. This in turn would be for some advertising for these folks. Again I haven't really thought this completely through but....

I really think this would be a really cool kind of a deal especially here as I haven't seen anything like this in other forums.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I build the occasional website for friends. I actually put together the current site for Cedar Ridge Outdoors and have a web app for Trail Life troop management at TroopManager.com

I’m potentially open to bartering web services, specifically WordPress based.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Just FYI, I am running this idea past the other mods and admins.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    I like this idea.

Several years ago when I lived in town we had a small neighborhood trading & lending group where about 50 members could ask & offer skills, tools & materials to give, trade, or borrow. It worked really well, as long as everybody stayed reliable & honest. Any rascals that didn't would be banned from the group, or at least put on probation (that didn't happen while I was a member). For equipment loans an optional security/damage deposit could be arranged privately between lender & borrower; also in the case of skilled labor we recommended a privately agreed-upon estimate of fair-trade value, expected completion schedule, and guarantee of workmanship. For goods & services of lesser value we mostly relied on a gentleman's agreement, backed up by the general "good-neighbor" membership covenant we signed when we joined the group. Transactions were entirely member-to-member. A moderator maintained the member list & a simple blog where members could post offers and requests, and the mod could poll all members there if a question or conflict needed resolution by the group.

I can see this working on HF; e.g., trade skilled sewing in exchange for materials wanted (could be from private stash or perhaps in credit to buy from a cottage vendor); perhaps also a "lending library" for safe, usable gear that otherwise may just be sitting idle most of the time.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WhollyHamaca View Post
    I like this idea.

Several years ago when I lived in town we had a small neighborhood trading & lending group where about 50 members could ask & offer skills, tools & materials to give, trade, or borrow. It worked really well, as long as everybody stayed reliable & honest. Any rascals that didn't would be banned from the group, or at least put on probation (that didn't happen while I was a member). For equipment loans an optional security/damage deposit could be arranged privately between lender & borrower; also in the case of skilled labor we recommended a privately agreed-upon estimate of fair-trade value, expected completion schedule, and guarantee of workmanship. For goods & services of lesser value we mostly relied on a gentleman's agreement, backed up by the general "good-neighbor" membership covenant we signed when we joined the group. Transactions were entirely member-to-member. A moderator maintained the member list & a simple blog where members could post offers and requests, and the mod could poll all members there if a question or conflict needed resolution by the group.

I can see this working on HF; e.g., trade skilled sewing in exchange for materials wanted (could be from private stash or perhaps in credit to buy from a cottage vendor); perhaps also a "lending library" for safe, usable gear that otherwise may just be sitting idle most of the time.
    I thought that we already did this. Folks for years have posted they need help making something and other would help. Once the initial contact was made here a lot was done off forum via PM and emails.
    In fact I started the initial design and posted asking for ideas on my 1st winter heated hammock tarp.
    I also requested for material and sewing skills. OES did my custom tarp and 2QZQ helped me design and make a mega Griz Beak for my wood stove.

So I guess I am not following the suggestion? Are you asking HF to start a database? Store gear that has been made, play police when things go wrong? If so no I am not for that at all.
    Since this forums start it has always been a DIY place. Just look at one of the founding members websites intothewoods.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm also at a loss as to what the OP is suggesting. Way over my head.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I thought that we already did this. Folks for years have posted they need help making something and other would help. Once the initial contact was made here a lot was done off forum via PM and emails.
    In fact I started the initial design and posted asking for ideas on my 1st winter heated hammock tarp.
    I also requested for material and sewing skills. OES did my custom tarp and 2QZQ helped me design and make a mega Griz Beak for my wood stove.

So I guess I am not following the suggestion? Are you asking HF to start a database? Store gear that has been made, play police when things go wrong? If so no I am not for that at all.
    Since this forums start it has always been a DIY place. Just look at one of the founding members websites intothewoods.
    More extensive and no storage. I think we need a "collaboration" zone where folks donate stuff.

For some it can be gear, supplies, equipment, sky's the limit. Cottage vendors perhaps donating gear or materials or what have you, in exchange for what? Advertisement - product placement - perhaps they have needs this community could aid in?

DIY'ers donating time and services, perhaps plans? Maybe consultative work?

Perhaps others donate time to coordinate? I haven't thought this all the way through but it seems like there is a desire for it. I propose a nominal annual fee that is used to maintain such a service.

OutandBack you are correct that aid is available, my suggestion is to ramp that up a notch. Make this a real service with actual value in the items people could "work towards". Make this a collective almost perhaps.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I thought that we already did this.
    I thought so too...

If I take the OP meaning correctly that seems more of a "community co-op" that might work well in RL in a defined geographical area, but taking a "true" co-op digital over a massive geographical area is infinately more difficult. It's likely even self defeating when considering time frames, shipping costs, the organizational effort/policing it would require... and also considering the door it opens for those that might wish to take advantage of others.

HF already provides "co-op" type opportunities limited to a specific area of interest and freely allows individuals to connect, collaborate, make "asks" from the general talent pool and contribute back into the "community" where and when they are able.

If it ain't broke..... ;-)

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I too recall many threads, posts in the early days of DIY that hundreds+ would help, suggest, modify, make, ship, etc. all sorts of items.

This Forums was dedicated to this endeavor with many current Vendors that were just hikers and hangers back in the day. We would bounce ideas back and forth, then a few would barter on items, equipment, parts and pieces, time and skill. Then an item would come to the Forums with pics and even video on how it was accomplished with detailed instructions on how others could make or even improve on the finished product.

A few were talented enough to make it into a cottage business. Still others would use their skill or time or product to do exactly what the OP is suggesting without the requested sub-forum.

Seems that we have lost the communication ability that made possible the rapid advancement of a lot of the current manufactured hammock camping items. It seems like many of the newer members here don't even know the history of the current products out there that are taken for granted as finished products. Long rant over.

To the OP, if we don't get your requested sub-forum, don't stop opening a thread on bartering ideas or product for skill labor. Ask and you shall receive.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Thanks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast