WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies

Search issues: What is this called

I am getting ready to sew a (first) hammock for my granddaughter. What is the mod called where you put bungies in the side to manage the excess fabric. I want to do some reading on it as I have never done it before and can't seem to find anything for the life of me. I am having a bit of an dimentia moment and can't remember the name of the mod. The things I come up with are generating so many hits I can't sort through to find the actual answer.

Thanks
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Images
    Some call this the "Knotty Mod" after our forum member Knotty who showed us how to do it.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    Thank you, MUCH appreciated.
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I called it the side-stretch hammock. Knotty's instructions are still the best.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    I am having PTSD thinking about the last time I tried to do a button hole on 1oz fabric. Is there any reason that you can think of that putting the button hole in grosgrain wouldn't work? My thought is that I button hole the grosgrain and then sew it onto the channel material in a way that reinforces the hammock fabric prior to creating the channel. This is sort of what I do on tarp corners too. I know that there is no way I will succeed in doing button holes on the first attempt.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Buttonholes are optional. My preferred substitute is burning a hole in a 1" piece of webbing (or grosgrain) and then sewing the webbing over the place I want a hole. Then very carefully burning a hole through the top layer of nylon under the webbing. It can be done with a cheap soldering iron, but a better tool is a nail held with pliers and heated over a flame.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Buttonholes are optional. My preferred substitute is burning a hole in a 1" piece of webbing (or grosgrain) and then sewing the webbing over the place I want a hole. Then very carefully burning a hole through the top layer of nylon under the webbing. It can be done with a cheap soldering iron, but a better tool is a nail held with pliers and heated over a flame.
    That is essentially what I was thinking. Thank you for the confirmation. That was the last piece of info I think I need to dig in on this project. I am going camp this weekend and try to knock out her set up next week.

Images
    If you haven't already hemmed the fabric, you can create this mod by sewing a hidden grosgrain loop into a wide, rolled hem when the hem is sewn. During sewing, you skip a few inches of hem so that you can access your hidden loop.

After sewing the hem, you can fish the elastic through it and tie it to the hidden loops.

If you have already hemmed it, then just roll it over to make a channel and take a similar approach (sew in a hidden loop, skip a few inches for access).

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    If you haven't already hemmed the fabric, you can create this mod by sewing a hidden grosgrain loop into a wide, rolled hem when the hem is sewn. During sewing, you skip a few inches of hem so that you can access your hidden loop.

After sewing the hem, you can fish the elastic through it and tie it to the hidden loops.

If you have already hemmed it, then just roll it over to make a channel and take a similar approach (sew in a hidden loop, skip a few inches for access).
    Would you tie the shock cord to the hidden loops or does it stay, "adjustable"? What I saw in the sections I looked at had external line locks or barrel clasps to make the tension adjustable. How important is that part?

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Make your first one adjustable, but it's not essential. Most bungees will stretch to about twice their length, so for a 2 foot stretchy section, use a piece that's more than 12" and less than 24". I think 18" is okay, so in the past I've just fastened both ends. You can do that by putting a knot in the end and sewing it in place through the channel, but I'd suggest using leiavoia's loops instead. That way you can adjust if you want, and besides it's very tough getting a sewing needle to penetrate a bungee. Tying a bowline through a loop is easier.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast