Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First Hammock setup - Need help deciding for BWCA trip

Hello All,
    I have a couple cheap single hammocks and a yukon outfitters xl hammock with bugnet. They were all under $30 or so, and just used for lounging around camp a few times. I am looking to get my first "real" hammock for an upcoming BWCA trip. I am planning on going late june - late july sometime in that window. I dont anticipate getting below 40 deg F. I camp here around south dakota but only in the summer months, so I don't need a winter setup with four sided tarp etc. There is an overwhelming amount of options, so just looking for a good setup to start with and if I like it, I can upgrade or change things out from there in the future.

I think I am leaning Dutchware chameleon or half zip in single layer hexon 1.6, but that is where the question marks come in.
    What suspension is easiest to use? whoopie slings vs beetle buckles?
    What tarp would you recommend for summer camping? Is a hex tarp going to be enough coverage in the wind and rain in the BWCA? I see a lot of people recommend the warbonnet mountainfly or thunderfly as well. What would you choose if you could start from the beginning with all the knowledge you now have?

I am 6'1", 195, if that helps any decisions.

Thanks for any tips

Images
    If you're looking at Dutchware, it sounds like one of these could be right up your alley.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/co...mmock-package/

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/co...intro-package/

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    I have hammocked on two BWCA trips, with a couple of different setups. I think the 1.6 Chameleon is a good choice. Bugnets are mandatory in the BWCA. I have used both types of suspension, and think the beetle buckles are the easiest to adjust and understand. I agree that 40 degrees is probably a good guess for expected low temps that time of year, but squalls can come in fast and make 45 feel like 35.

As far as tarps, I have ridden out the two biggest storms of my life in the BWCA. Both times the wind was pushing in the side of the tarp all the way to my hammock and I had to use my hands to keep it off my face. Crazy nights. The first time I had a standard hex tarp, but I had Grizzbeak from 2qzq on one end. That helped tremendously. Wind can swirl coming off the lakes and it is tough to predict exactly which way the wind will come in. The second time, I had an 11 ft Winterdream from UGQ. That was definitely more secure in the big storm. Doors on both ends. Since you are canoeing, weight isn't too big of an issue, so I don't think you need to spend big money on a DCF tarp. The Penny Pincher Winter Dream is my recommendation. It is $120, which is a pretty good deal for such a protective tarp.

Have a good trip.
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

Yes, I was looking at their half zip package deal. Just wasn't sure if the standard width hex tarp would give me enough coverage or not.

I can throw in my 2 cents worth. Lots of BWCAW and QPP trips over the years.

The three most popular high-end camping hammocks out there are Dutch's Chameleon, the Warbonnet BlackBird XL, and Dream Hammock's Sparrow. Yes, there are several others that are quite good and I don't mean to dis them but these three seem to bubble to the top. I happen to like integrated bug nets but you'll find plenty of folks who prefer the Fronkey-style.

I'd go with a 20 degree UQ just because! It's probably the most versatile and gives you a bit of buffer even if you don't expect temps below 40. Lots of praise out there for WB's Wooki but there are other great options as well.

Nothing easier than Beetle Buckles when you don't need to shave ounces. I like poly or hybrid straps with sewn-on Dutch clips for the country you're headed for. That option calls for a hammock with CLs.

I've had a lot of success using a semi-rectangular sleeping bag with just the foot zipped as a TQ. It's a great option if you aren't quite ready to pull the trigger on a hammocking TQ.

A hex tarp at a minimum. WB's Minifly has built-in beaks. It's a nice addition. Might be other, similar tarps available that I'm not aware of. Grizzbeaks would be a similar option. While a doored tarp is nice, IMO it's more than you truly need for that area most of the time. I've always traveled with a substantial tarp that the group can seek shelter under. Without that, especially on a solo trip, I might give some thought to a doored tarp.

FWIW, I've been up there for three of the biggest storms to have hit the Quetico-Superior area including the big blow-down. Wouldn't have missed those storms for anything!

Hope this helps in your decision-making.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    A hex tarp at a minimum. WB's Minifly has built-in beaks. It's a nice addition.
    One thing to note about the Minifly - while it does have those integrated beaks at the end, it's not a high-coverage tarp. It's not very wide compared to most hex tarps in the market. Many of the "standard width" silpoly or silnylon hex tarps are ~9.5' wide. The Minifly is only ~7.5' wide - 1 foot less width per side.

I'm not saying it's a poor choice or a bad tarp by any means. It's definitely a popular option. I don't own one. Just something to consider.

Btw, I have several hammock tarps from a variety of vendors, and for the price, I'd have to second the suggestion above to check out the Penny Pincher line from UGQ.
    https://ugqoutdoor.com/tarps/penny-pincher-tarps/

If price is a non-issue, you could of course check out the range of Dyneema tarps from Hammock Gear. Note that unless you choose the Palace, the other options are also narrower (8.5') than the average hex tarp. The Palace is 10'4" wide.
    https://hammockgear.com/dyneema/

If even wider coverage is desired, there are vendors who have XL tarps with ~11.5' width. At minimum - Dutchware, UGQ, and Simply Light Designs have those offerings, though some may require a special order of the fabric (Dutchware doesn't require special order).

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I also have a Half Zip. Not having the 2nd zipper like on the Chameleon makes it harder to adjust the underquilt, but it's not impossible while still in the hammock.

The 'easiset' suspension would be the daisy chains with some sort of hardware like a carabiner. I went with beetle buckles. Never used whoopies. Tried cinch buckles.

For the tarp, the Minifly coverage seems kinda skimpy (especially the sides) unless you hang your tarp low enough. I went with the Thunderfly.

Tarp-Comparison-01-510x340.jpg

I have a 20 degreen sleeping bag I will probably use as more of a top quilt, and am in the process of making a DIY costco underquilt. Planning for 40-60 degreen evenings, but biggest concern is staying dry of course.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    I don't have anything to add- I just wanted to say I'm a little jealous! the BWCA is Beautiful! It was on a 10 day trip as a ground dweller that I decided to research hammock camping. Sleeping on slanted granite was not fun. I moved from IL ( a driveable distance) to Alabama, and now my chances of another trip there are slim to none.

I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you decide on- Please post a trip report when you get back.

Charlotte

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Greylock 3/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    I made it through a Biblical thunderstorm last July in the BWCA with my Warbonnet Superfly. Worked great. Can't say I slept because of the thunder, lightning and wind, but I was dry. I use a 1.6 Dutch Half-zip and am 6', 215 lbs. My suspension is long straps with a Becket Hitch to the hammock's continuous loops. I've used different suspensions in the past but have settled on that set-up for simplicity. I bring along one extra strap as a spare.

I'm heading back in May and won't be changing out any of that gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast