Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Udrian View Post
    Short update: I tried adding a super thin down sleeping bag (Haglöfs LIM down 1) on top of the pad, and the added warmth made the 90 degree hammock acceptable down to about 40 Fahrenheit. It is not as warm as I would've hoped but it works, so thanks for your input! However, if possible I would like to use my hammock below freezing - anyone have experience with using an under quilt on this type of hammock? I've seen photos of UQs being used with the gamma, but hard to say if it would actually add significant warmth due to the pad and distance between the sides of the hammock and myself.
    Good to know! Which pad was this, how thick? Regardless of how thick, was the added quilt thick enough to totally fill any gap between the pad and your back?

Look again at pictures 1 thru 3 in post #5 above. In the first, the quilt on top of the 2.5"pad is lifting the hammock's inner layer well above normal height. When I get in, I compress most of that loft, which means absolutely no gaps, and any vallys between pad baffles are likely filled.. I have not had the opportunity to really put that to the test. But as I have been OK with that pad by itself between mid/hi 20s-lower 30s, and noticed noticeably more warmth when I added clothing on top of the pad, I have little doubt that quilt on top of that pad will take me quite a bit lower.

In pic 2 and 3, I have only the quilt in the pad pocket. I think if you look closely, you can tell that the entire 3" pad pocket is well filled up(particularly look at the foot end, I think it shows better there. Which means, if the pad pocket is totally filled, I am going to have a good 3" of loft under me, with no gaps, no worries about proper adjustment or mysterious gaps/drafts developing. Again, sadly, no chance to really put it to the test, but I feel very confident about it.

I hope this continues to work out for you, at even colder temps(with a thicker pad or quilt, maybe? Or added clothing?). Let us know!

Hammock
    Hammocktent Gamma UL2
    Tarp
    90Degree Tarp tent
    Be sure to let us know when it drops!

Hammock
    Hammocktent Gamma UL2
    Tarp
    90Degree Tarp tent
    I am using the Exped Synmat UL LW with following dimensions: 78 x 26 x 2.8 inches. According to the new ASTM rating standard it only has an r-value of 2.9, which might contribute the overall chilliness of my system.

However the down bag in the pad sleeve adds significant loft to the inner layer and my back is nice and warm, suggesting that the issue is perhaps with covering the side gaps between myself and the pad? I'd really hate to buy an additional quilt :/

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Udrian View Post
    I am using the Exped Synmat UL LW with following dimensions: 78 x 26 x 2.8 inches. According to the new ASTM rating standard it only has an r-value of 2.9, which might contribute the overall chilliness of my system.

However the down bag in the pad sleeve adds significant loft to the inner layer and my back is nice and warm, suggesting that the issue is perhaps with covering the side gaps between myself and the pad? I'd really hate to buy an additional quilt :/
    Yes, and possibly an issue with completely filling the 3" deep pad pocket, which if not accomplished, your body weight will not be firmly on the pad. Your pad is a little closer to 3" than mine, but still might be an issue? (as an extreme example: If I put my 1/2" thick WM blue pad in the pad pocet, I am probably not going to contact the pad at all, my weight will be supported above the pad by the inner layer of the hammock fabric)

Check this out: "I've just spent a couple of nights in the 90 Degree Hammock on this year's CDC thru hike, which were freezing and way below the comfort rating of my sleeping bag. I was required to press every button.
    Part of this is the combination of a pad and my down jacket inside the pad-sleeve as bottom insulation, which is my preferred option even in milder conditions.
    As you can see in the pictures I carefully place the down jacket onto my Neo Air XLite S pad, with it's sleeves pointing upwards along the edges of the pad. This seals off any air gaps on either side of the pad and helps to keep the shoulders warm in case they protrude beyond the area covered by the pad. The rest of the jacket beefs up the vulnerable butt area and insulates any vacant space at the sides of the pad.
    Now, it does require a bit of fiddling to place the jacket like this. You might have to enter the pad-sleeve with your arms and head to do it, and it must be done before you put your sleeping bag or any other items into the hammock. But it may well be worth your effort and make all the difference between sweet dreams or a cold butt :-)
    Another bonus you get is the fact that you can easily pull the down jacket through the head side pad-sleeve access into the hammock when you get up in the morning, and thus have it at hand as soon as you peel off your sleeping bag from your torso."
    https://www.facebook.com/HammockTent...type=3&theater
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-24-2020 at 10:13.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Billy Bob, how do you rig tarp with that hammock?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Billy Bob, how do you rig tarp with that hammock?
    Well, someday, I'm going to get a tarp especially made for it, like Simplylight sells.

But as it is, I just take one of my larger tarps, and turn it sideways(flip it around) so that the longer tarp "ridge line" (the part I have to seam seal) is 90º to the trees and hammock RL, same as the hammock is, rather than tarp RL/long axis towards the trees as is normal. Also, using a pad, I don't seem to have to worry so much about wind coming under the tarp and hitting the bottom of the hammock or UQ. At least it does not seem near as noticeable for me, so I can get away with a wider pitch. So far, any way. (EDIT: Some of my tarps have multiple pull outs on the sides and ends, so I have a pull out as needed right in the middle of both sides and ends, as well as al corners. You might have to add a pull out on some tarps if turning the long side 90º)
    https://www.simplylightdesigns.com/c...ock-compatible
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-24-2020 at 10:24.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Ah ok, I figured a larger tarp would do the trick. Still, that looks super comfy. However, that leaves me with another question...how hard is it to get in and out?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Ah ok, I figured a larger tarp would do the trick. Still, that looks super comfy. However, that leaves me with another question...how hard is it to get in and out?
    It is not so much that I need a larger tarp- I just like to use the larger models that I already have. But with whatever sized tarp, if the tarp is longer than it is wide(most are), instead of having the long ridge pitched towards and tied to the trees I am hanging from, I turn the tarp around so that the longer side is now 90º to the trees, just like the hammock is. That way, the longer part of the tarp is covering the long part of the hammock and my head and feet better. And the shorter (normally) sides of the tarp are now tied to the trees. I don't need as much coverage on my sides as I do towards my head and feet, just as always, so the more narrow part of the tarp is fine going that way, which is now towards the trees.

For me, like every hammock I have ever tried, it is a matter of pros and cons. Two of the big pros of this design are vast shoulder room, and vast knee room once in fetal, just great overall comfort, and only about 7 ft needed between trees, depending on tarp size. And also, wind and water resistance built in due to pad use.

Getting in and out, at least with a full length pad being used, is a pain. ( you don't have to use a pad with this one, unlike the Amok. In fact, for me, with no pad, it is the most comfy hammock I have ever used for fetal position. ( and maybe the best, or at the very top at least, for side position even with a pad.) But it is very weird with no pad, because the only thing that keeps the hammock stretched out is your body. f I get on my side and pull my legs up fetal, the hammock "collapses" and assumes the shape of my body. Weird, however very comfy as the hammock develops a ridge which supports my waist completely. The opposite of any side torque that develops with so many GE hammocks. Major comfy! But a normal UQ probably would not work with this "collapsed" hammock length, though the "inner Quilt" ( i.e. a quilt in the pad pocket) might. I have not yet tested it.

But a full length pad(could us just a torso sized pad) prevents all of that and forces the hammock to maintain it's shape. But, the down side, really makes getting in and out quite tricky compared to any of my gathered hammocks. Though honestly, like so many other apparent negatives of this or that hammock, it is just a matter of learning curve and plain getting used to it. You can watch the demo videos at the web site, and you will see that the guy who makes them has no issues with hopping in and out. Practice makes perfect.

It's like the old bottom entry HH. Lots of folks complained about that, compared to the convenience of a zippered side entry. But even using the HH Super Shelter, after a bit of practice, I could be in and out of that thing amazing fast. Faster than unzipping and exiting from the side. Pros and cons. Watch the guy who makes these HT90º getting in and out at 2:50 with no pad and at 3:15 with a full length pad, obviously nothing to it for him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5RaQ8hXTAk

Also, the model with the net complicates things even more. If I was to buy one of these expensive hammocks again, I would order without the net and just add a DIY net when needed. And then it would be a net that I could get out of the way if I needed to reach out of the hammock, or designed to allow the RL to pass through the net so I could hang stuff from it when in the hammock. Of course, on the pro side for that net, that is probably about as light as a zippered net can get.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-24-2020 at 12:12.

Images
    Since I have this UQ, I need to give this a try. In case it is not obvious, you would flip this over before inserting into the pad pocket, with the pad on the down side, quilt on top of pad.
    https://www.facebook.com/HammockTent...type=3&theater

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12