Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Clark 2 person hammock

hi all, I'm new here and hoping for a little help
    there is very little info available for the clark 2 person hammocks either the VX-ultra or the vertex ultra. does anyone here have any experience with them? my main question is can you lay flat in it? youtube and the website don't show much.

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    I slept in it with my wife and I felt constricted in it and I’m only 5’11 and 175lbs. I slept okay but it was starting to gather right below me and above me. I like the double chameleon better.
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    A "2 person" hammock is really not meant for 2 people, neither is a double hammock. That only means they are a bit wider....

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12'
    Insulation
    HG Econ/Tiaga 360
    Suspension
    Straps and UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Smckinney0031 View Post
    A "2 person" hammock is really not meant for 2 people, neither is a double hammock. That only means they are a bit wider....

The OP is asking about the Clark 2 person hammocks which do actually cater for two individuals sleeping in independent sleeping compartments. However you're correct with respect to what are often referred to as double hammocks on Ebay and Amazon et al, which are often just wide gathered end hammocks.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12'
    Insulation
    HG Econ/Tiaga 360
    Suspension
    Straps and UCR
    @TKC_in_canada

As BannanaHammock says the Chamelleon is another option. The two person rig is a pretty good deal if brought as a package https://dutchwaregear.com/product/2-...eleon-package/ it may also offer more flexibility if you ever wanted to use one or both independently (with the addition of single bug nets etc.). Downside maybe that it's a little more fiddly to set-up, and the chameleon doesn't have the insulation panels like the VX-Ultra. Two under quilts would obviously bump up the initial expense quite a bit.

P.S. here's the post announcing the package deal https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...p-package-deal

Last edited by ravenblack; 03-02-2020 at 12:51.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenblack View Post
    The OP is asking about the Clark 2 person hammocks which do actually cater for two individuals sleeping in independent sleeping compartments. However you're correct with respect to what are often referred to as double hammocks on Ebay and Amazon et al, which are often just wide gathered end hammocks.
    Holy crap, I was clueless and then when you said this,I looked it up!!!! Mind blown, that thing is amazing!

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Smckinney0031 View Post

the vertex by clark is the only true 2 person hammock

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    >Mind blown, that thing is amazing!

Amazing in concept. Even if I use three trees - one at foot or head end and two at the other end. If the trees are slim, or using a post (designed for hammocks) at a campground, if one person moves, the other can feel it, to some extent, in their hammock.

In a bed, with a sufficiently firm mattress, one person can roll over or get up and not disturb another in the bed. But even though you have separate "sleeping compartments" with the Vertex, I'm guessing that one persons movements can cause tremor in the other hammock. Sometimes that is too much togetherness. Sometimes it is best to have sleeping time just for sleeping and other things considered at other times in other places.

That said, If I had two GE hammocks coming off each side of a pair of PNW Ponderosa Pines, That trunk is not going to budge. The second hammock would be near (the tree's diameter) but suspension would be independent.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

thanks for the reply's, looking more and more like 2 separate hammocks with spreader bars in the same trees.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If the tree is large enough, you won't need spreader bars. All you need is a little space. If it's 4 inches or 4 feet, Not touching is not touching. Problem with spreader bars is they "link" the hammocks; movement in one will still be somewhat transferred to the other. For normal young folk, that is probably not an issue. But for those of us who are ... more mature, we usually don't sleep as soundly and often have to get up a one or two times a night.

Because you said you were new, here's a little more detail about the 2-fer-1 set up with trees. Often photos of single hammock setups show the suspension oriented so the straps are coming from the middle of the tree. A finesse, kinder to your chosen suspension, is to rotate the suspension so the lines for tarp and hammock come off the side of the tree. If you imagine a floating balloon with the string hanging straight down, that's like the suspension line coming from the middle of the tree. If you imagine the letter "P", that's like the line coming off the side of the tree. Using the "P" method puts less stress on your suspension.

If you imagine a "P" and a "9" (with a straight line coming down off the 9, not the curled one), and superimpose the circle of the P and 9, that's like using one tree for two hammocks. The diameter of the tree is the separation - no spreader bars required.

Sometimes three trees are used - either the foot or head end of both hammocks use one tree in common and the other end uses the other two trees.

The challenge is the tarp - covering both hammocks. Fortunately, there are quality "extra wide" tarps available. Probably a "regular" tarp would protect against bird droppings, tree debris, and "in your eyes" moonlight. But I'd imagine it would be rigged flatter/higher than could be buttoned down for a storm.

So I'd bring two full sets - hammock and tarp - in case the weather turns bad, And use the "common tree" technique when mild weather is assured.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast