Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reflectix

Reflectix

First, I want to say up front that I'm not a huge fan of using this product for sleeping insulation. I know that it can provide some benefit if it is used properly but, to me, it's just not worth the bother.

How does it work?

Shiny surfaces are poor at radiating or absorbing heat. What they excel at is reflecting heat, as long as the shiny surface is not in direct contact with the heat source. That's why Reflectix has that bubble wrap - like aspect to it. The shiny side needs to be on the side away from the heat source so that the air space provided by the structure can do its job.

BUT, when the heat source is a human body which perspires, you don't want the heat source (your body) to be in direct contact with the transparent side either. There needs to be something between you and the Reflectix that will wick the moisture away. (The same thing goes for a sleeping pad.) Othereise, things are going to get damp in a big hurry.

So, if you decide to use it, make the best use of its characteristics.

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    My reflectix has shiny on both sides. Before getting underquilt a few years ago, I cut pieces to fit & inserted into fleece bags. Sewed the open end up. Worked pretty good.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Yeah I can't use it as a pad. Wet with condensation...so I added a piece of fleece blanket and now I had a wet wick to hold the moisture. Lovely.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    How does it work?

Shiny surfaces are poor at radiating or absorbing heat. What they excel at is reflecting heat, as long as the shiny surface is not in direct contact with the heat source. That's why Reflectix has that bubble wrap - like aspect to it. The shiny side needs to be on the side away from the heat source so that the air space provided by the structure can do its job.

BUT, when the heat source is a human body which perspires, you don't want the heat source (your body) to be in direct contact with the transparent side either. There needs to be something between you and the Reflectix that will wick the moisture away. (The same thing goes for a sleeping pad.) Othereise, things are going to get damp in a big hurry.
    Reflectix works to reduce heat transfer through conduction and radiation. The main point of the "shiny" surfaces is to reflect radiative heat. The main point of the product is not to absorb radiative heat but to reflect back to to keep it out of your house in summer, or in your house in winter. This is why it is "shiny" on both sides. If used as an insulation in hammocks then yes it will reflect your body's radiative heat back to you. This is true if you are in contact with the product or not.

The second aspect of insulation of the product is it resists heat energy flow through conduction. The bubble wrap aspect of it. Again heat loss is resisted by slowing the rate of conduction through the product. Again keeping the body warmer in a hammock than without.

The product does not affect convection heat transfer, other than the size of the bubble wrap to reduce convection heat flow through the product.

As others have stated reflectix has the mylar coating on both sides so there is no Transparent side to consider.

Finally addressing perspiration, true, Reflectix is a non-permeable plastic that does not let water vapor to pass. Sleeping directly on it would most likely lead to discomfort around your core, I'm not so sure moisture would be an issue on legs and feet.

So to reiterate: How does it work? It works by reducing the heat energy flow from you body to the night air by slowing the rate of radiative and conductive heat flow.

Lots of threads on HF over the years on this topic. I'll throw in my 2 cents: reflectix works great as a pot cozy/bottle or pot cover. I've made up a couple of small reflectix pads with different thicknesses of foam pads glued/taped to them. I'll use them on my camp chair or to kneel on, plus under my feet to provide an exgtra boost if I need it when I use my 3/4 length quilts.

I can't imagine laying in my hammock on a windshield reflector....doesn't seem too comfortable.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Actually,I love Reflectix in my hammock!I put it under my feet sometimes-it works.If I get a little cold spot somewhere I will put it where its needed.I have never had a condensation problem because there's lots of clothing between me and it.

Also,if you want a little ground cover that sheds leaves,dirt,and pine needles,Reflectix does not stick to that stuff and vice versa.So,yeah,my experience with the stuff has been positive and it also makes a great cozy for pots and mugs.

I guess I'm showing my age! The first product like Reflectix that I was exposed to had a clear side. Haven't paid attention to the more recent products.

That said, a structure that is shiny on both sides will work only slightly differently. The surface that is in contact with something else will transfer heat via conduction, not reflection. Reflection requires space. Then, the other side of that surface is a poor radiator to the structure's air core. The air core is a poor con conductor of heat but the number isn't completely non-existent. Very little air movement occurs within the bubbles so there is minimal heat movement via convection. The other skin, being also reflective, keeps a substantial amount of the heat loss from continuing on through.

Conductive heat loss is barely an issue considering the structure and material used to make a product like Reflectix. Most of the conduction, and it is truly minimal, is through the baffle-like walls of the bubbles.

Yes, Reflectix slows the rate of radiative heat loss and does so mostly via reflection. The air core provides a small amount of r-value.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Try it-you'll like it.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    I only use it when I am in my tent, under my air pad. It's kept my heat bouncing back to me

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    I used a Reflectix pad for a while as I saved up for quilts. It allowed me to go to some group hangs in the winter when I otherwise wouldn't have been able to. It's crinkly but warm and lightweight.

I still use it for my kids when we hang in cold weather. I'm not buying quilts for them and they sleep just fine on it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast