so many!
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG + diy or a WB
    Suspension
    whoopieeeee slings

New Hampshire wild camping

Wanted to convince the wife to go up to New Hampshire to get away from it all. She booked a few nights at a BnB but if I could find a nice location where we could pull up, in a nice field or near a lake and camp for a day she might be interested in trying that. I’ll bring a tent and hammock.

Anyone have any recommendations? We want to be alone and not in a campground or near others. Think one of those great photos of just you in nature with a great view...

I read that in white mountains and parks up there you can do dispersed camping.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ocean County, NJ / Hillsborough County, NH
    Hammock
    DutchWare Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG The Journey
    Insulation
    HG TQ20*&UQ30*0*
    Suspension
    TS & Whoopie sling
    Images
    Monadnock Sunapee Greenway, there a parking area at Pitcher Mtn. You can hike up to the fire tower than hike to Fox Brook and there's a tent platform there and plenty of trees to hang too.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Silpoly Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Mamba/Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    When?

Familiarize yourself with the WMNF camping regulations that can be found here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...rdb5363715.pdf

The jist is you have to be 1/4 mile from roads and trailheads unless you're at a designated site. It sounds like hiking isn't an option so you're going to have some trouble. Legal drive-in designated sites that provide both scenery and solitude at camp are near impossible. You're going to have to pick which is more important to you. Free designated sites can be found along some seasonal FS roads. They are purely utilitarian places to setup a base camp and provide no amenities but they give you the best chance at solitude due to the space between sites.

In regards to the Greenway, even if hiking were an option, you're not going to find scenery at any of the campsites or solitude unless you go midweek off season. Fires are also prohibited.

Hammock
    so many!
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG + diy or a WB
    Suspension
    whoopieeeee slings
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    When?

Familiarize yourself with the WMNF camping regulations that can be found here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...rdb5363715.pdf

The jist is you have to be 1/4 mile from roads and trailheads unless you're at a designated site. It sounds like hiking isn't an option so you're going to have some trouble. Legal drive-in designated sites that provide both scenery and solitude at camp are near impossible. You're going to have to pick which is more important to you. Free designated sites can be found along some seasonal FS roads. They are purely utilitarian places to setup a base camp and provide no amenities but they give you the best chance at solitude due to the space between sites.

In regards to the Greenway, even if hiking were an option, you're not going to find scenery at any of the campsites or solitude unless you go midweek off season. Fires are also prohibited.
    Thanks for the response. I’m fine with a bit of a hike to get where we need to go. Wife won’t want to hike more than a mile or two I bet. But I’ll haul all the gear up.
    Timeframe would be late summer or fall.

Thanks. I’ll keep looking for that solitude.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Silpoly Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Mamba/Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    I'll keep racking my brain for the perfect spot. Regulations make it tough.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    I'll keep racking my brain for the perfect spot. Regulations make it tough.
    Find out where they do Jeep commercials. Those beautiful people just pull right up to the perfect spot on a lake, with perfect weather and not even a tiny drop of mud on the tires.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Flat Mountain Pond from Bennett Street. Once you get to the pond find a spot near the shelter. There is a latrine and cell service near the shelter.
    If you think you are too small or too unimportant to make a change try
    sleeping in a room with a mosquito.

Dalai Lama.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Silpoly Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Mamba/Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by FromNH View Post
    Flat Mountain Pond from Bennett Street. Once you get to the pond find a spot near the shelter. There is a latrine and cell service near the shelter.
    This is a 5 mile hike each way but flat. I would not expect solitude at the shelter unless you go mid-week. There is a nice site a mile farther on the north end of the pond if the shelter is ocupado.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Silpoly Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Mamba/Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    I think you may have good luck at Mountain Pond (different than Flat Mtn Pond above) or Province Pond in the eastern White Mountains. Both Province Pond and Mountain Pond have a shelter site where you can set up camp. Mountain Pond has several other sites around the pond away from the shelter that may give you a better chance at solitude. Fall is a typically very busy time of year in the Whites but most people are worried about their 4k list or are in the Notches. Anyone you would run into at these ponds would probably be anglers in search of the same quiet you are and won't bother you. Province Pond is 3.2 mi out-and-back (1.6 mi each way to the shelter.) Mountain Pond is a 2.7 mi loop. It's about a mile to the shelter but the trail continues around the pond. Both have negligible elevation. In general, I think the Eastern White Mtns from the Wild River area, through Evans Notch, and into Maine will be your best shot at the experience you're after. Even the campgrounds like Crocker Pond or The Basin are less crowded. There are some free sites at the end of Hut Road near Lovell, ME right on Great Brook that you could luck out on mid-week. Good luck.

Hammock
    so many!
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG + diy or a WB
    Suspension
    whoopieeeee slings
    Thanks to everyone. I’ll post a trip report when I make this happen.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast