Thread: Four Lines

Four Lines

I've talked about the Draumr before....... the most appealing commercially built hammock for me, as I like a recliner type sleeping position. The ability to sleep at any upper body elevation, have a knee ridge, etc, makes it the obvious choice for me.
    That said, I have not even seen one up close and personal, and probably never will unless and until I buy one.......... One of the few liabilities of living in a very remote part of Montana, more than compensated by the plusses. No traffice, no noise, lots of wildlife, and a REAL "community".

The concern I have about the Draumr is the suspension from a single point on each side of you, creating a balance / weight distribution issue......... or so it appears from the videos I've seen. Nowhere, have I ever seen anybody talk about a 4 line suspension, where the ropes or straps wrap, but do not come together to a single point. This may be impractical.......... I've never tried anything of the sort, nor read of anybody else doing it. Imagine two points a foot or so apart where the straps attach to the hammock, a snatch rope or spreader "upstream" to govern this. The action of the hammock would be completely different of course. The weather here has been quite cold, but when we get a few decent days I'm going to hang a cheap hammock I have this way. The strap at each end measures 9" end to end, passes through the end, and is joined with a biener, the tension bunching the end up. Instead, I will use two beiners and do a double or triple wrap around the tree, taking each end to one end of the strap, perhaps even inserting a spreader if necessary.

I'm thinking that there will be little or no actual "swing", but also that there will be far less constriction, and it should be possible to hang the hammock far more tightly, rather than using a ridge line and sag to create a flexible space for sleeping.

Disclaimer: I haven't hammock camped since the late '60's when I used a pocket size net hammock for several months on an NSF project in the Mt Hood Nat Forest. Physical issues are pushing me to revert, as I cannot sleep well on the ground anymore without digging and shaping the ground first.

................... Thoughts? Experience? Experiments? Ideas?

H.W.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    It's not necessary and would likely create more problems than it solves. If I'm imagining your suspension correctly, the result would be closer to a hanging cot or a Tentsile than a hammock. Depending on where the suspension is attached, you will either need spreader bars or 4 trees to keep the hammock from collapsing. It would definitely make hanging it more difficult, because the hammock would not self-adjust anymore.

As it is, the only way the Draumr tips is if you slide too far towards the foot end. As long as you keep your center of gravity out of the leg area, it's as stable as a gathered end hammock.

Hammock
    WBRR/ Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Cloudburst/ Borg
    Insulation
    Ridgecreek
    Suspension
    Many
    I have the Draumr XL and it works pretty good stability wise. I wouldn’t want to add anything more to complicate the set up, it’s pretty easy to set up currently.

• + New Posts