Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fat Guy In Florida

Hello all,

I just joined up here, hoping to hang around and learn more about hammocks.
    I'm fairly fat, 5"11 \ 320lbs, with back and neck injuries. I was once an avid outdoorsman, and I've decided to get out on the trails as much as possible for health and love of nature.

I like the idea of carrying less weight, and the implied benefits of using a hammock to make camping easier on the back.
    Since I'm in Florida, what I would need in a Hammock is a very high weight limit, rain fly, and built in mosquito net.
    I want the lowest chance possible of something breaking. So I've tried googling "fat guy and hammock", and mostly found suggestions to DIY.
    That sounds cool, but I don't know the first thing about this, and I would really like to buy a prebuilt system if that exists.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I'm looking forward to getting back out there!

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    Welcome aboard!

I would recommend purchasing your first hammock before attempting a DIY. I, and almost all others here as well, would strongly suggest you look into one of our cottage manufacturers who you can actually talk to and who can guide you towards your best fit. Given the fact that you are in FL and need a high capacity, you may want to look into a double layered hammock which naturally can hold more weight than a single layer. Many people like the Warbonnet Blackbird hammocks. For complete "systems" you may also want to check out HammockGear or DutchwareGear-both of whom are active on this forum. Another advantage for a double layer for you is that you can easily slide a pad in between layers to act as your bottom insulation. I don't know how much you've researched hammock camping, but one of the first things you will notice-even on a relatively warm night is the convection cooling effect on your bottom side. This can lead to CBS-Cold Butt Syndrome which you want to avoid at all costs. Most of us prefer some kind of underquilt to pads, but pads work perfectly fine until you can make the commitment to purchasing quilts. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have. Also, check out Shug Emery's video series on YouTube for getting started-if you follow his advice you can cut down the learning curve dramatically!
    Last edited by Clisbyclark; 02-28-2020 at 05:57.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Clisbyclark summed it up perfectly. Go to our forum cottage vendors for everything because you can actually talk to them about your specific needs. Even beefed up suspension systems.
    There are a great group of Florida hangers that are very active, during winter anyway. Go to forum outings and look under southeast. Go to their hangs, even if you don't have a hammock and stop by for the day. They will be more than happy to show their rigs and give you an education.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    The single layer Chameleon using Hexon 1.6 is rated to 350 and Hexon 2.4 is rated at 400+ according to Dutch. I dunno how that scales up on a double layer. The suspension system you use might need some research.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Just something to consider. A netless hammock paired with a separate hammock net makes a great system and no concerns of being bit through the hammock fabric. This does happen. A bottom entry net like the fronky system is popular.
    I've got you beat on weight by 10% and I use:
    Dutchwear 1.7 Hexon wide netless (132") or a generic Amazon 210T nylon Ripstop hammock (118" length). I find both work well. The Dutch Hammock is a silkier fabric, but I am finding it is not holding up as well as the 210T nylon ripstop. For suspension, your options are pretty wide open. I use the easy nylon loop straps for car camping and the back yard. For backpacking I have a Dyneema tree strap attached to a 7/64" Amsteel whoopie sling. This works very well and is about as light weight as you can get for our weight. I tried the UCRs (Utility Constriction Rope) which is basically a single line whoopie, but I fount it would slip slowly over night and I would be almost to the ground in the morning. And there would be an annoying audible ping echoing from the hammock material as each fiber slipped. Since the whoopie is a double line the load is half and it does not slip. That said you can just as easily use the single strap and Becket hitch suspension. (not my area of expertise on the correct straps to use, though pretty sure it is not a Dyneema strap as they are slippery and do not hold knots well)

Anyway welcome to the rabbit hole. Do you choose the red pill or the blue pill?

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Back/neck injuries you may want to consider picking up a Hennessy Hammock with bottom entry. I use the classic entry due to issues in my back and core muscles. It allows for an easier entry/exit. This link is to one that has a weight limit for 350lb. https://hennessyhammock.com/products...e-asym-classic If you are patient you may be able to find on here in the For Sale area. Not cheap but well made and a complete set up.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    11' SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x12
    Insulation
    LocoLibre DWR Down
    Suspension
    Cin-Bkle Dyn-Str
    I'm in Florida also. Let me first say that if your hanging here a No-See-UM mosquito net is invaluable. Make sure that any net purchased is rated for it. Secondly, I camp in swamps quite frequently and the use of a thicker material is always a plus in order to keep them from biting through. I see many good post ahead of mine and would like to add Jared with Simply Light Designs into the recommendations. The wife and I use his 11' Trail Lair hammocks and love them. They are single layer Hexon 1.6 models and I have yet to have any bites through the material. Granted a quilt helps with that issue. Remember that not all materials are equal and that say a 400lb rated material is the same across the board. Fabric stretch is a consideration. No stretch may be uncomfortable while too much may put you on the ground or give you shoulder squeeze.

Hammock
    Towns End - Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    WB - Superfly
    Insulation
    HG - Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Contact Bill at Towns End. I just purchased his “Big Guy Bridge” and I’m in love. Super comfortable lay and Bill is a really good dude...

I’ve had both gathered end hammocks and now the Big Guy Bridge, and wish I would of made the switch sooner.

Everyone’s needs and comforts are different in the hammock world, but I would certainly take a look there. Good Luck!
    Now then, get your weapons--your quiver and bow--and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me. Gen 27:3

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    To keep pack weight lighter, get a single layer hammock. A double layer hammock can weigh over twice as much as a single layer! Ask vendor to use fabric rated for your weight, as stated in previous posts. Also a sturdier fabric might resist stretching.
    I use 1/8 amsteel for added safety margin. And straps weight rated strong enough to do the job will be good. But maybe not get too heavy straps, no use carrying what you don’t need and making a short hike unpleasant.

I recommend that you go to a group hang and odds are you will see rigs used by guys your size.
    Good luck and have fun out there!

What do you guys think of this one?

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/clark-vertex-ultra/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast