Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    UGQ/DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie/straps
    Images

Smokey Mountains - Sights to see??

I am looking to do a 5 or 6 day hike in the Smokey's and if it was going to be the only time that I hike there, what are the best sights to see?? I would appreciate a list of the 'must see' sights or the best trails to hike while there.

My boys and I started doing a week long trip a few years ago and we have decided to go to a different location each year. Since we do not know if we will come back to a location a second time, we try to see as much as we can during the trip.

Although I think that when I turn 60 we are going to go back to the Linville Gorge. We had a fantastic trip and we would like to return and maybe complete the trip going in the opposite direction.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    WHEN? Got to know when
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    DIY Robic 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    UGQ/DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie/straps
    Images
    Sorry, we will be going in mid September. That is what works the best for us.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoutmaster1056 View Post
    Sorry, we will be going in mid September. That is what works the best for us.
    Mt. Sterling - Mt Cammerer area on northeast end of park. Great trails and two fantastic views.

Gregory Bald on opposite end of Park looks down on Cades Cove.

And, frankly, many more, but this is a start.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    DIY bridge
    Tarp
    DIY
    I’d second Mt Sterling and Cammerer. I love that corner of the park. Big Creek campground is one of my favorite places to stay. As a side note, Max Patch bald is not a far drive from Big Creek. It’s not in the park but a great place.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    MacCat standard
    Insulation
    Undergound Quilt
    Suspension
    Arrowhead whoopies
    Lakeshore Trail is pretty cool. Here is a trip I did a couple years ago in the spring that involved part of the Lakeshore Trail. https://backpackandbeer.blogspot.com...eks-gsmnp.html
    and another trip in a weird winter https://backpackandbeer.blogspot.com...-december.html

A cool trip that would hit a lot of highlights would be Start at Clingman's Dome => AT over to Gregory Bald => down to the Lakeshore Trail => up to Clingmans's Dome. This would be a long hike, but probably doable in 6 days if you are strong hikers. It would be easy to shorten by dropping the Gregory Bald part, but that is a beautiful part of the park. So is the AT across Rocky Top/Thunderhead and the hiking on Hazel Creek is great.

Give a little more detail about you and your boys as far as hiking ability and I'd be happy to help you plan a trip.

Hammock
    Raven by Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Suspension
    Tree Hugger
    I've done Mt. Sterling and Mt. Cammerer. Walnut Bottom (campsite 37) is a fantastic campsite and a great place for first night before venturing further into the Smokies.

You could spend the first night on Anthony Creek at campsite 9. Then go to Rocky Top on day two before staying at Russell Field shelter, or stay at the backcountry site on Russell Field trail (I forget the number). This would be a good loop and a little challenging if you're up for it. If you end this loop in 3 days and want to do another overnight, you could high tail it by vehicle to Tremont ranger station and do a relaxing waterfall loop on Middle Prong trail. The drive from Cade Cove to Tremont is about 8 miles. You will see waterfalls and beautiful creek on Middle Prong and fantastic views on Rocky Top and Spence field doing these two combos.

I live here so feel free to DM me about questions in the surrounding areas.

• + New Posts