Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Two Hammocks Under One Tarp Backpacking Options

I hammock camp with my wife and dog and we sleep under a DIY RSBTR Hex 12 Cat Cut tarp. We utilize a spreader bar and hang from the same two trees. Innis(Our Irish Terrier) sleeps in his DIY hammock underneath us. This works out quite well and we go on some moderate backpacking trips, but this setup requires us to bring a second diamond tarp if there is rain in the forecast to use along with our other tarp to get enough coverage. This is not ideal because of weight, annoying to rig, two tarps are not better than one, ugly, etc.....

There is at least one newer player to this style with the Dutch 2 person tarp but there are several others that I estimate would provide good coverage too including some variation of a Warbonnet Superfly(Maybe 12 or 13ft with pole mod), UGQ winter palace 12 or 13 ft, Other Winter Tarps.

I’m super indecisive and am having a really hard time deciding which route to go. The Dutch 2 person tarp is intriguing,especially with the extra side coverage and weighing in at right at 2 pounds with end pole mod and one internal pole mod. I can’t seem to find the weight on a 12 or 13 ft Superfly with or without any kind of mods. UGQ has quite a few options in ridge length as well as width. There are a few others as well.

I guess my question is does anyone have any opinions on how these tarps compare on coverage, weight, material. I’m sure each of these tarps are quality and worth the money. My issue is that with them all being similar in that they are big, but very different with many different optional configurations, I am having a hard time comparing and making my decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO, I think Dutch hit the nail on the head with that 2 person tarp. That spreader bar makes for a whole lot of room. And now you may be able to get it with doors on both ends, like the typical "winter" tarps, if that's a feature that attracts you. I think those other tarps are great but they weren't specifically designed to accommodate side-by-side hammocks.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    Winter Dream 13'
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I recently purchased a UGQ WinterDream 13' from their PennyPincher series. I got panel pulls installed and bought some poles from Dutch. That thing is HUGE. I am using a spreader bar to sleep double with my kids and so far have only used a standard hex tarp (wouldn't recommend in any type of precip. Haven't tried it yet but when I do I'll post back.
    Last edited by Smoke68; 02-26-2020 at 15:31.

Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    IMO, I think Dutch hit the nail on the head with that 2 person tarp. That spreader bar makes for a whole lot of room. And now you may be able to get it with doors on both ends, like the typical "winter" tarps, if that's a feature that attracts you. I think those other tarps are great but they weren't specifically designed to accommodate side-by-side hammocks.
    It does seem well thought out, if they do add the door coverage on the spreader end I could see weathering a pretty serious storm in that thing. My dog would probably enjoy the lower sides as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke68 View Post
    I recently purchased a UGQ WinterDream 13' from their PennyPincher series. I got panel pulls installed and bought some poles from Dutch. That thing is HUGE. I am using a spreader bar to sleep double with my kids and so far have only used a standard hex tarp (wouldn't recommend in any type of precip. Haven't tried it yet but when I do I'll post back.
    Definitely a nice budget friendly option while not sacrificing too much. I’d be curious if you could let us know the weight of it and what that includes.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    Winter Dream 13'
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Fardck View Post
    Definitely a nice budget friendly option while not sacrificing too much. I’d be curious if you could let us know the weight of it and what that includes.

I'll weigh it tonight and post it up. I'm not a backpacker so weight is not a factor for me right now. Mostly canoe and car camping.

just don't search for "two hammockers, one tarp"

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie and LL TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Fardck View Post
    I can’t seem to find the weight on a 12 or 13 ft Superfly with or without any kind of mods.
    I use an 11' superfly with center pole mod for me and the kid with a spreader bar. It's not bad but you won't be able to close the doors. We've been in rain with no issues but not really bad storms. Since I haven't gotten soaked yet and we tend to backpack more than car camp, I don't see upgrading any bigger at this time.

11' superfly including cordage and snakeskin - 24.3 oz
    center pole - 4.8 oz

for illustrative purposes
    mahha-3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by LearnedHat View Post
    just don't search for "two hammockers, one tarp"
    Underrated Comment!

Quote Originally Posted by reznix View Post
    I use an 11' superfly with center pole mod for me and the kid with a spreader bar. It's not bad but you won't be able to close the doors. We've been in rain with no issues but not really bad storms. Since I haven't gotten soaked yet and we tend to backpack more than car camp, I don't see upgrading any bigger at this time.

11' superfly including cordage and snakeskin - 24.3 oz
    center pole - 4.8 oz

for illustrative purposes
    mahha-3.jpg
    Thanks, I probably will look for a little more coverage but this is great information.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast