New hammock decisions

Looking at getting new hammock.

Currently have DD Travel Hammock and 3x3 Tarp nautical looking for something a bit bigger and be Bigger and suited to the keg I carry round instead of a six pack.

I love the DD travel and has served me well in U.K. on scout camps and general wilderness weekends, with my DD UQ.

Been looking at the DD frontline XL but also like the look of the HH Survivorman.

Any thoughts/advise?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many.. use them all
    Tarp
    Fimbul, HH Hex, SF
    Insulation
    Fimbul Twister UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    I won the DD XL in a competition once, didn't like it and sold it. I think it's much too short and way too wide... The poles make it want to tip over...

I have quite a few HH in my pile of hammocks and I have recently done a review of the Survivorman on my blog. It's in danish, but there's a translator on the page (In pc version)
    You can check it out here:https://fimbuloutdoors.blogspot.com/...ang-del-6.html
    /Rasmus

www.instagram.com/fimbuloutdoors/
    www.fimbuloutdoors.blogspot.dk

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12'
    Insulation
    HG Econ/Tiaga 360
    Suspension
    Straps and UCR
    I'm no hammock expert so everything that follows is based on my own direct experience and upgrade path.

I haven't tried any DD hammocks, none of their designs ticked enough boxes for me personally. Plenty of folk seem happy with them from what I have read in the past.

My first proper foray into hammocks was a used HH Explorer XL Classic, which was comfortable enough, and got me sold on the switch to hammocks over tents. I didn't like the entry method particularly although it functioned okay. The biggest reason to move on was the problem of under quilt choices especially here in the UK. Not very practical given UK weather and temps. I learned fast from that mistake...

Next I brought a used Warbonnet MKI Blackbird which was much more comfortable and the shelf and zipped entry made for a much more pleasant experience all-round. I used my sleeping pad and Canada Jay sleeping bag reasonably successfully, once I wrestled with everything to get set for the night. Unfortunately the bug net deteriorated a bit in various places so I need to upgrade and to make matters worse I need something in a hurry.

Because of the difficulties buying US made cottage vendor hammocks in the UK and delivery times etc. I opted for another HH, this time an Explorer Deluxe XL with a zip. It was leaps and bounds ahead of the bottom entry version for convenience hopping in and out, plus wider choices of underquilts. I took the custom option and brought the hammock without the tarp. The standard tarp isn't adequate for four season camping in the UK imho, and the Hex isn't really that much of an improvement. So I stuck with my old DD 3.5 x 3.5 tarp, which was a bit too bulky and heavy but offered effective coverage. At current UK prices I think the hammock and tarp combo comes to around £188 and both are generally readily available in the UK.

Imho that is the best bang for the pound for a reasonable quality, comfortable, four season GE hammock and tarp combo. And if you're on a budget it would be something worth having for a few years.

I eventually brought a OneTigres single three season synthetic quilt which is far from ideal but with a little tinkering functioned well enough for most temps you can expect in the south of England year round. I used that system a good few times at temps below 0C, although I wouldn't like to push past -3C using it along with something like my Canada Jay plus base and mid layers etc.

Next I upgraded because - errr - humm...well just because that's what happens right? It ended up being a toss up between the latest WBBB XLC and the Chameleon. I settled on the Chameleon partly because it offered me the chance to try something different, and I liked the wide range of modular options available.

I went for a standard Chameleon with Asym Bugnet, Moonlight cover and peakshelf in 1.6. The first thing I noticed, and also found a little off putting, was the amount of extra stretch the 1.6 material had compared to the MK1 WBBB, and the HH explorers. That took a bit of getting used to, but now I like the extra give especially around my feet. I don't get as much pressure on my feet as I experienced in the HH's, I could live with the WBBB, but personally the Chameleon has the edge foot presure wise for me (the narrow profile of the OT UQ didn't help the foot squeeze situation either). The newer WBBB XLC may be on par or better, but I haven't had the chance to test that myself.

I really appreciated the option to open the zip on either side once I used it. Mainly because it makes messing with the underquilt from inside much easier (Shug was right you know). My old OT UQ worked okay with the Chameleon and the DD tarp was doing the job. That rig was fine for everything but the worst of UK weather and served me well to be fair. I just had that nagging feeling there was more to be had out of this dangling melarkey.

At that point I was totally into the hammock life so it was time to upgrade some kit once more...

I opted to upgrade my UQ and Tarp as they were functional but far from ideal for the style of camping I generally do. I tend to plot up/base camp for atleast two or three days at a time in any season rain or shine. I generally don't hike great distances like the folk in the US, who get on those amazing trails of theirs.

After much research, umming, ahhing and Shugging I finally went for a HG Econ 20F underquilt and their journey tarp, both of which are great value and have exceeded my long distance expectations. I was blown away with the comfort and heat retention of the Econ UQ, I can't tell you how worthwhile that upgrade was. On the ground I always went with synthetics just incase I ever got washed out. It seems expensive when pulling the trigger, but it was a hammoking game changer for me. The journey tarp was amazingly light and packable compared to my old DD. The Journey doesn't offer quite the same coverage in width, but the doors really make up for that, and using the pullouts opens things up nicely. It sheds water much better than the DD tarp and I regained a huge amount of space in my pack as a result of those two upgrades.

After my experience with the down UQ buying a down top quilt was a no brainer! Unfortunately the taxes and shipping etc. made buying an Econ Burrow difficult. So I took a chance and opted to buy a Cumulus Taiga 360 TQ. In reality there wasn't a huge difference in price, and I probably should have manned up and gone with the HG Burrow. I had became too impatient I guess, and wanted to shake off the excess bulk that comes with my Canada Jays (23L compressed and ground dwelling is no longer an option for me at this point).

The Taiga is well made lofts well and has performed nicely this winter down to -4C so far. And that was while wearing no base layer for my legs, an upper base layer and light mid layer fleece top, with one pair of socks, no hat and no gloves (impresed much I was). I was super toasty and would have no problem going several degrees lower. I'm getting old, sleep relatively warm at 6'2" 190/200lbs.

I camped out the other weekend and the early part of the next week through that moderate "hurricane" we had, with gusting 40mph winds (there were some much more serious gusts at times). Temps weren't that low but my hang was rock solid warm and dry throughout the entire trip. My old rig would have held up okay, but without the added refinement my current system offers. The doors did a great job holding back the swirling rain. Some water would have made its way into the DD tarp in those conditions.

TLDR:

If you're on a budget and you're pretty sure hammocks are for you the HH Explorer Deluxe XL Zip is great value for money. The extra length is a must imho if you're 6' or above, and probably even more comfortable for anyone below 6', the only negatives imho are the weight and single sided zip. I would also change the suspension to a continuous loop, with straps or UCR's/Whoopies. The DD 3.5 x 3.5 is great value, with great coverage for four season use. It's bulky and heavy though and holds on to water. The OT quilt isn't perfect but works okay if you fiddle with it. Bulkier and heavier than down but reasonably packable for a three season synthetic. The new DD or a Snugpak UQ maybe better alternatives, but I have no first hand experience of either. A good sleeping bag ideally with a centre top zip works okay, and turned inside out as an improvised TQ makes a bag relatively easy to wrangle with (not ideal though).

If you're one hundred percent sure hammocks are for you, and you get out regularly in all but the very worst UK (northerly winter) weather cry once and buy once might be the best approach...

Chameleon / WBBB or other equivalent quality hammock.

HG Journey / Superfly or other equivalent...Sil Poly is a great material for the money imho.

Down quilts really make a massive difference in warmth, weight and pack ability. I cant stress that enough. I muddle through for a long time using gear which I thought worked okay, before I finally learning that lesson.

From my research the HG Econ 20F offers the best bang for the pound. My experience with the Econ 20F UQ met the expectations I had from the research I did. Great bit of kit!

UQ HG Econ / Wooki or similar (do some research into the Wookie before choosing lay direction etc. The Econ requires some tinkering it's nicely adjustable). I'm 6'2" and went with the long version, I get just beyond full coverage head to toe. I could probably have gotten away with the regular length with my head being slightly of the down. If I brought it again I think a regular would be my choice.

TQ HG Econ or something else comparable in price and performance. From my limited experience the Cumulus TQ seem to meet their stated temps with good quality workmanship and they're in the EU. Price difference is marginal and close enough to give the HG the edge imho (the waiting time is painful though).

Hengehammocks.com stock some of the gear above if you want to avoid the hassle of importing DW or WB gear. I have brought gear (accessories) from them, and my experience has been good so far. Some tarp and hammock choices are limited right now, but they may tag on a custom order for you if ask and you're prepared to wait a little while?

Good quilt sets are the hardest items to purchase in the UK in my experience, but well worth the effort!

That's probably way too much information but hopefully it will save you going through the same struggles I did. My current system isn't ultra light, 22L ish total volume...I have no idea of the total weight (I don't count grams, if I need it I carry it). My rig certainly isn't the most expensive or cheapest hammocking solution. Imho it's capable of performing in all but the worst winter weather for a moderately warm sleeper. With some adjustments 20F quilts work fine in most UK conditions with the exception of those rare high temp summer nights (ditch the TQ and hang the UQ lower), in deep winter wearing extra layers would really help push the limits. It hasn't been cold enough when I have been out for me to find the max low temp I can handle. If I had to guess I think I could get to -8C with my metabolisum and prossibly lower with minor discomfort creeping in, assuming wind speeds are low. I use the Moonlight top all winter which seems to adds a couple of degrees.

I think I got off light with my early uneducated buying decisions, and now I have a usable three/four season loaner/backup rig, which has taught me some valuble lessons along the way.

One last thought - for a UK cottage vendor check out Easyhammock.co.uk they have some interesting products at reasonable prices. I haven't used any of their gear and it's been a while since I did my researched into them.

The quilts using UP synthetic material look interesting and offer good value for money. A highly compresable synthetic could be worth investigating, especially given the recent wet weather the UK as been experiencing.

P.S. I know you're mainly intereted is Hammock/Tarp advice but insulation is such a vital part of the experience it's hard for me to ignore. Appoligies in advance if I have bored you or anyone else to death.

Thanks for your responses guys.

I have been happy with my DD Travel but I am over the recommended weight for use and reading about longer length hammocks being better, I am in a position to upgrade.

I like the look of the HH and was initially drawn the Explore Deluxe XL due to its increased weight carrying and length but then saw the Survivor man which has more weight carrying ability and includes the 4 season extras, making it cheaper than the Explorer with 4 season upgrade.

I already have the DD UQ and I am happy with that on my current DD hammock, just not sure how well it would fit on the HH.

But looks like I can’t really go wrong with either the Explorer or Survivorman in terms of upgrade from my current hammock for a better lay.

Just now to decide on which one!!

For a slightly out-there suggestion: it's reasonably cheap and easy to make yourself a hammock, and that lets you do it to whatever specs you like. Extremtextil.de is probably the best source unless you've got something locally. You could get 3 or 4 metres of ripstop nylon, stick a hem around the edge, get some dyneema (this is the cheapest that I could see per metre, but it might be better to buy something that comes in smaller quantities if you only want to do this one job) and either re-use the suspension that you've got (as long as it isn't that horrible rope stuff that DD hammocks come with as stock) or grab some of this to make yourself some straps.

New hammock decisions

Thanks for the suggestion Bluesam.

I have used that supplier before as I have made a DIY top quilt with Climashield AP. But dont have the time at the moment it do DIY, due to work and other commitments, so want it ready to go and just get out a soon as I can to relieve the pressures of work.

Last edited by Ruggedpokerface; 02-26-2020 at 06:21.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammocks Survivorman
    Tarp
    Hex fly
    Suspension
    Superior Gear
    Images
    I just ordered a survivorman just now. I've been trying out a couple of other HH hammocks in my basement lately and decided to go ahead and order it.

• + New Posts