Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GT 2020 - We ate everything

We have just arrived back in civilization after our 6th annual Green Timbers Big Tree Hang. 23 brave souls enjoyed the wilds of northern Michigan. This year we cornered the market in hot tents with a total of 10, 4 of which were Dogger-made! We all enjoyed the friendship, food and camaraderie that comes with spending time in the woods.

Some of us spent the week or others just a few days. I got 5 days! Lots of food was consumed and we had plenty of bacon. This is the start of the trip report, so we'll be adding to it once we acclimate back into society. Thank you to everyone who came out to make this Michigan's best deep woods winter camp, where you gotta work to get there and back!

Last edited by michigandave; 02-25-2020 at 08:27.

Hammock
    WBRR or custom gathered end
    Tarp
    Larger in winter,
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles,
    As always, the week was fantastic. I had the privilege of arriving Tuesday, and enjoying the great Michigan winter. I never take photos of anything, so I’ll leave off saying, I had a great time and thanks to all who came out and participated in our shenanigans.

If Dogger doesn’t come out by Thursday, send a search party!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's some of the hammock setups in the woods surrounding camp:

Last edited by michigandave; 02-25-2020 at 08:29.

Hammock
    Dutch 2.4 Hexon 11'
    Tarp
    DD 4x4, 5x5
    Insulation
    HG econ 0* UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Loop Straps
    Images
    We did eat very well, and yes, we did eat just about everything, but just not anything.

Bacon wrapped all beef dogs in buns, cheesy potatoes, cheesy garlic bread, sour cream cookies, apple crisp, Santa Fe Chicken Chili, Deering Spicy Chili, various venison sausage and other dishes. Fireside oven baked cookies, stew, gumbo, bacon (a nice lot of bacon), Dirk's Tamales, Nachos & fixins, chips, dip, sour dough bread in oven, several egg & potatoe and extras dutch oven breakfast meals. Desserts, many cookies and sweets. And lots and lots of coffee, perked by the fire in 25 cup percolator. I know I'm missing a few different people and meals....

Weather was just about perfect. Cold to start and then mild for the last 2 nights over the weekend. Plenty of snow for pulking and snow-shoes. Fireside tripod and GT Camp Totem (big buck skull found in the area) provided warmth and light, and plenty of smoke over the course of the trip.

All and all, a very very enjoyable trip into the Green Timbers area this past weekend.

Thanks to everyone who came, who helped gather wood, provided food and drink, and comradery around the large bonfire!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC BlackBird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    White Cloud, Zeppe
    Suspension
    Whoopies marlinspi
    Wow! Amazing hot-tent gathering!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Such a great time!!! I joked about calling in and spending another day, but I'm sure glad I didn't. I pretty much sat home all day pooping my pants and throwing up. Flu I assume. Wiped me out!! I could hardly get dressed. I finally got out of bed around 1PM...then just now after lying back down. Anyway...another quality hang done right.

This was my second use of the hot tent. Thanks again to Smokehouse for making it happen.

I want to post pics but I'm so seriously wiped out I can't make it back upstairs. Hopefully it's not giradia; I don't think so.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    Thanks for a great report and pictures. Looking forward to the full report!
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Such a great time!!! I joked about calling in and spending another day, but I'm sure glad I didn't. I pretty much sat home all day pooping my pants and throwing up. Flu I assume. Wiped me out!! I could hardly get dressed. I finally got out of bed around 1PM...then just now after lying back down. Anyway...another quality hang done right.

This was my second use of the hot tent. Thanks again to Smokehouse for making it happen.

I want to post pics but I'm so seriously wiped out I can't make it back upstairs. Hopefully it's not giradia; I don't think so.
    Glad you enjoyed yourself. You've definitely embraced life in the hot tent. I'm hoping you just have a touch of the flu. I really don't want to have to rename next year's GT outing as the "Poopy Butt Hang" and have to move to a drive in campground with all the fancy amenities.

Get well soon and looking forward to seeing some of your great pics.
    Last edited by michigandave; 02-25-2020 at 08:30.

The food was pretty amazing on this trip. Gregori covered it very well and we didn't have a lack of other treats. Dogger brought along his camp oven, so we made campfire cookies and cheesy nachos as snacks. Dirk's tamales and his wife's homemade salsa is always a treat. My new go-to camp meal is bangers and mash, with garlic bread to compliment. I hope someone got a good pictures of our jumbo sized pile of firewood that kept us warm and cooked our food.

As per tradition, we made a stop on the way up and going home to Mill Street Pizza in Vanderbilt, where Tanya and Shelly always take care of us. I recommend the pepperoni and jalepeno pizza!

Here's a few pics from the walk in and around camp:

Last edited by michigandave; 02-25-2020 at 09:09.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast