Images

Speer SPE in a JRB James River and HT90º

So, I dug my ancient Speer Segmented Pad Extender(SPE) out of the closet. I had been wanting to try that with some of my hammocks that work better with pads, bridges and 90º. Rather than using the pad pockets, or with a hammock that does not have a pad pocket, like my single layer 9 oz JRB James River bridge( I think 18 oz with spreader bars). So I loaded up the pack and headed for the woods on a slightly cold day.

First, I tried it with my Hammock Tent 90º(also a very light hammock). This would have worked better with a WM pad, or any pad that was stiffer than the 20" wide TR Ridgerest that I used, as this hammock gets it's support from the pad. This Ridgerest had a tendancy to fold or roll up in this hammock. Still, once I was settled in the hammock, it was plenty comfy and warm. Also, when going from my back to my side, I had no rouble keeping it in it's place. My TR All Season would have worked much better for this, as it does when down in the pad pocket, but at 25" wide it is too wide for my SPE. Still, it was doable. And the advantage to these CCF pads is that they do not raise the center of gravity noticeably.
    One side:

The other side:

There is abundant coverage, and I can probably get by using just one section of the wings if weight and bulk were critical. Look close and you can tell that the insulated area is as wide as the hammock is, but you can't tell that these pads are much wider than the pad pocket:

Here I am on my side: I forgot to bring the WM blue pad cut outs for the lower 1/2, so you will just have to imagine them in there. Still, you can see there is plenty of coverage. Here you can see how much wider the SPE is compared to the pad pocket:

That worked good, but the flexible pad was a bit of a hassle. Here is the set up in a JRB James River bridge, which is very similar to the WBRR, but a bit deeper and wider in the middle( I think) and maybe not quite as wide on the ends. It was doable in the 90º, but much easier to work with in this bridge:

Still lots of coverage, warm and comfy:

On my side:

Again, no pads inserted in the lower wings, but obviously there would be plenty of coverage.

The advantage here compared to my NeoAir All Season, even when inserted below in the bridge pad pocket: center of gravity is not raised. I can lean back in the sides and feel secure and with plenty of insulation.

This worked very well.I can't swear it is as comfy as with an UQ, but it is still plenty comfy. So if I need to use a pad in a single layer hammock, this SPE really helps. And the shoulders are covered better than a 25" wide in a pad pocket.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-23-2020 at 01:21.

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Interesting. Ive tried several bridge hammocks and found them too constricting width wise as I am a very active sleeper. My legs eventually hang outside the those kinds of hammocks. Do you find the James River more comfortable than the WBRR?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawldaddy View Post
    Interesting. Ive tried several bridge hammocks and found them too constricting width wise as I am a very active sleeper. My legs eventually hang outside the those kinds of hammocks. Do you find the James River more comfortable than the WBRR?
    The jury is still out on that, right now I am probably calling them equal, though I personally might have a slight personal pref for the JRB. I find them very similar in over all comfort, which for me is very comfy. However, the WB might have a bit more shoulder room, because it has slightly wider spreader bars(which can also be a negative re: tarp us) and is not quite as deep. However, I don't pay much attention to this as either is fine even with my less than petite self(6'1", up and down 200-226, currently about 210lb). So shoulder comfort seems the same to me, naturally as I was OK in the older JRB bridges which have less shoulder room that either of these. But if I paid close attention, I might se that the WB has a bit more room.

OTOH, I'm pretty sure the JRB is a bit wider in the middle, which equals more room for my knees when (fetal) side sleeping. The JRB is a bit deeper, which is a negative for many. But I prefer deeper at least in some ways, because I feel more secure when leaning back into the sides, something I love to do. And the JRB quilts easily cover that side, keeping my back insulated. I especially prefer deeper with a pad which raises center of gravity. I would also prefer deeper if I was a restless sleeper.

And along with bars not quite as wide, the JRB needs less distance between trees, which is another plus. But for me overall, the two hammocks are both very similar in comfort.

• + New Posts