Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AE Ridgecreek
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Images

VIDEO - ARKANSAS - EAGLE ROCK LOOP - 1 NIGHT

My brother-in-law and I went out for a short backpacking trip in the Ouachita Mountains in Arkansas to do the Eagle Rock Loop on Feb 16 and 17. The loop is 26.8 miles. We had originally planned to do a 2 night trip but his knees were really starting to hurt him on the downhills on day 2 so we went ahead and finished up without camping the second night. We had decent weather for day 1 but low lying clouds moved in and made for a very wet day 2. It was unfortunate that we didn't get to see the big views from the mountain tops because of all of the clouds. But it was still a fun trip. And gives me an excuse to do the loop again!

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Great trip report! My buddies and I are planning to do the Eagle Rock Loop in late Fall. I love the hiking trails in northern AR. If you haven't done it yet, the North Sylamore Creek trail is another really good hike. It's point-to-point though.

Nice thanks for the report

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Nice video report. The ERL is one of my favorite nearby area trails & I've lost track of how many times I've done it over the years. I've never hiked it clockwise though... maybe I should do that one day. Then it would be like a whole new adventure!

Thanks for posting.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Nice report. I've done the ERL once CW from Winding Stairs, twice CCW from that ABF/LM joint where the small lot is. I should get back out there.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AE Ridgecreek
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Great trip report! My buddies and I are planning to do the Eagle Rock Loop in late Fall. I love the hiking trails in northern AR. If you haven't done it yet, the North Sylamore Creek trail is another really good hike. It's point-to-point though.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't heard of Sylamore Creek. I'll go look it up.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AE Ridgecreek
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    Nice video report. The ERL is one of my favorite nearby area trails & I've lost track of how many times I've done it over the years. I've never hiked it clockwise though... maybe I should do that one day. Then it would be like a whole new adventure!

Thanks for posting.
    I had originally planned to start at ABF/LM trailhead and go counter clockwise to get the mountains out of the way first as a lot of people suggest. But with the river level in mind and chances of rain over the couple days we were there, I figured itd be good to knock out the big crossings of the river first. Ended up not being a problem. Just wanted to play it safe. When I do it again, I probably would go CCW.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, WL XXL TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    I've never seen a trip report from you prior to this one and wasn't sure what to expect. Once I saw the Warbonnet RR you had instant cred with me.

Thanks for a good hike from my Lazyboy this morning.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wrangler88 View Post
    I had originally planned to start at ABF/LM trailhead and go counter clockwise to get the mountains out of the way first as a lot of people suggest. But with the river level in mind and chances of rain over the couple days we were there, I figured itd be good to knock out the big crossings of the river first. Ended up not being a problem. Just wanted to play it safe. When I do it again, I probably would go CCW.
    Makes sense, especially regarding the weather. Back in '05, I did a trip there with my son & one of his buddies and camped at Winding Stairs for a night where it rained pretty heavily the entire night. Late that afternoon, two couples hiked in & set up camp right along the river. During the night, I thought heard screaming but with all the nasty weather, it was hard to tell & I wasn't sure. By the next morning, the river had risen dangerously close to our campsite during the night & as I was surveying things, the two couples came walking up the trail with nothing but the clothes on their backs... no shoes, no gear, nothing. It had rained so hard for so long & because they camped so close to the river, all their belongings were washed away in a flash flood during the night and the screaming I heard was them realizing almost too late, they were in serious trouble. They were very lucky. The Little Missouri had risen so high, we couldn't make it across to get back to the trailhead at the Albert Pike Recreation Area campground. Had to hike out the opposite way & wound up hitchhiking back to the car.

I learned a big lesson on that trip and as you say, always play it safe.
    Last edited by ObdewlaX; 02-23-2020 at 10:53.

And just 5 years after that was when a flash flood (historic one) killed 20 people at Albert Pike. https://dartcenter.org/content/swept...t-pike-flood-1

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast