Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AE Ridgecreek
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnetonkaBoater View Post
    I've never seen a trip report from you prior to this one and wasn't sure what to expect. Once I saw the Warbonnet RR you had instant cred with me.

Thanks for a good hike from my Lazyboy this morning.
    I've been trying to use my hammock system more lately. The Ridegrunner is by far the most comfortable hammock by far. Love it. Thanks for watching.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AE Ridgecreek
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    Makes sense, especially regarding the weather. Back in '05, I did a trip there with my son & one of his buddies and camped at Winding Stairs for a night where it rained pretty heavily the entire night. Late that afternoon, two couples hiked in & set up camp right along the river. During the night, I thought heard screaming but with all the nasty weather, it was hard to tell & I wasn't sure. By the next morning, the river had risen dangerously close to our campsite during the night & as I was surveying things, the two couples came walking up the trail with nothing but the clothes on their backs... no shoes, no gear, nothing. It had rained so hard for so long & because they camped so close to the river, all their belongings were washed away in a flash flood during the night and the screaming I heard was them realizing almost too late, they were in serious trouble. They were very lucky. The Little Missouri had risen so high, we couldn't make it across to get back to the trailhead at the Albert Pike Recreation Area campground. Had to hike out the opposite way & wound up hitchhiking back to the car.

I learned a big lesson on that trip and as you say, always play it safe.
    That's a crazy story. It never did end up raining that much. But I wasnt sure how much they were expecting in that area. Just wanted to play it safe.
    I've never seen anyone who lost their stuff in a flash flood like that. Especially during the night. That would be a horrible situation. I have come across someone who just had all their stuff swept down stream at a high river crossing and they were left with nothing. That's a bad feeling.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12