Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    WBWooki/UGQ Bandit
    Suspension
    Standard

Video: Middle Prong Wilderness Loop, NC

What was supposed to be a 3 day trip in both the Middle Prong And Shining Rock Wilderness areas turned into an overnight loop in Middle Prong. Cold temps, high winds and river temp/levels convinced us to revamp our initial plan but we still had a great time.

We started near Sunburst Campground off of 215 and immediately began the grueling four mile climb straight up the Fork Ridge Trail. Camped near the intersection of the MST and Fork Ridge. The next day we took the MST to Buckeye Gap and then to Haywood Gap, finally ending on some old fire service roads and back to the car. Total trip mileage was somewhere between 12 to 14.

Some good views along the Fork Ridge Trail and a lot of great water features along Buckeye and Haywood Gap trails. Had some interesting creek crossings along the way as well...
    "Why didn’t Noah swat those two mosquitoes?"

My Backpacking YouTube Channel

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    Always enjoy your videos! Never seen the Boot Scoot Boogie technique to cross a water, but that looked like the safest option. Where would you recommend someone unfamiliar with these trails get map info to do trip planning? I live in GA and your video of the Standing Indian was very helpful. I can see how you had to be getting tired when you couldn't camp at Betty Creek and had to keep going!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    WBWooki/UGQ Bandit
    Suspension
    Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by Clisbyclark View Post
    Always enjoy your videos! Never seen the Boot Scoot Boogie technique to cross a water, but that looked like the safest option. Where would you recommend someone unfamiliar with these trails get map info to do trip planning? I live in GA and your video of the Standing Indian was very helpful. I can see how you had to be getting tired when you couldn't camp at Betty Creek and had to keep going!
    Yes it wasn’t the most dignified way to cross but it worked. You can’t tell in the video but the log is anywhere between 12 to 16 feet above the water and was somewhat slick with the moss and damp conditions. I’d be lying if I said it didn’t make me a little nervous.

Best map for the area that I know or is natgeo map #780 Pisgah Ranger District. That will cover all of Middle Prong and Shining Rock Wilderness and the surrounding area

Images
    Great video, I enjoyed it! Cold and wind and steep climbing(reminded me of the never ending Mt. Sterling climb) and water crossings! I know I'm sort of weird about this sort of thing, but I couldn't help but think while watching Y'all in that cold camp was: "Man, all them boys are missing is some VB clothing fairly close to their skin, to get from uncomfortably cold to nice and warm!". But, I know most folks don't swing that way.

Hey, how did Y'all sleep? Warm and comfy? Do you know what the lows got to? I figure wind was not an issue, between your good sized tarps and UQPs!

Thanks again for the report!

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Good stuff! Middle Prong is on my list of areas to hit.

RE: Maps - I've always used 780 for this section of Pisgah as well but supposedly the Pisgah Map Co is coming out with a map specific to Shining Rock & Middle Prong soon

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    WBWooki/UGQ Bandit
    Suspension
    Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Great video, I enjoyed it! Cold and wind and steep climbing(reminded me of the never ending Mt. Sterling climb) and water crossings! I know I'm sort of weird about this sort of thing, but I couldn't help but think while watching Y'all in that cold camp was: "Man, all them boys are missing is some VB clothing fairly close to their skin, to get from uncomfortably cold to nice and warm!". But, I know most folks don't swing that way.

Hey, how did Y'all sleep? Warm and comfy? Do you know what the lows got to? I figure wind was not an issue, between your good sized tarps and UQPs!

Thanks again for the report!
    I stayed warm in my hammock with my 20 degree wooki and bandit, Bracken wasn’t so lucky. His feet were frozen through and he couldn’t get them warm - he even tried wrapping them in his down jacket with a hand warmer. He was also hanging in a bad direction and the wind was cutting through at his head/foot end. The direction I was pitched the wind was hitting the broadside of my tarp and never got to me.

I don’t know what the low was but it didn’t get past the mid 20s I wouldn’t think. The wind plus a damp cold made it feel much colder. My prior trip in the smokies the lows were in the mid teens and it felt warmer that trip. A fire would have helped but everything was too wet and they aren’t permitted in Middle Prong.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    WBWooki/UGQ Bandit
    Suspension
    Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    Good stuff! Middle Prong is on my list of areas to hit.

RE: Maps - I've always used 780 for this section of Pisgah as well but supposedly the Pisgah Map Co is coming out with a map specific to Shining Rock & Middle Prong soon
    I had not heard that, good to know!

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LL UQ, WB Diamond
    Suspension
    Whoopie or BH
    Thanks for sharing your trip. I chuckled at the statement after the log crossing.

"It was fun, in a different kind of way."

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Great vid. Thanks! I wonder if the climb was comparable to climbing Mt Sterling in the Smokies?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    WBWooki/UGQ Bandit
    Suspension
    Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawldaddy View Post
    Great vid. Thanks! I wonder if the climb was comparable to climbing Mt Sterling in the Smokies?
    Thanks! I’ve done both - the climb up Mt Sterling is longer but the climb up Fork Ridge is much, much steeper. For me Fork Ridge was more challenging, but I also had a heavier pack than I did climbing up Mt Sterling. The climb up to sterling is prettier for sure.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast