Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Images

CPAP and Hanging

Do any of you use your CPAP while hanging and backpacking? Looking for one I can take on the trail for a few days with battery power. Looking for suggestions.

I personally use a Transcend that I got from SecondWind Cpap as a refurbished unit. The available (optional) battery pack will get me through about 3 nights. It is small and can hang from a ridgeline. Second Wind has other smaller units, but are usually more expensive. You will likely be out-of-pocket for a camping size unit, as I don't think most insurances would pay for one, YMMV. Others here will chime in as I think there are several members who use one. There are various battery options available as well, but I am not familiar with those.

I car camp with mine using a renogy lithium phosphate 12v battery, but that'd be way too heavy to backpack with. Unfortunately I need an ASV machine so there are no light alternatives.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    My insurance did not cover a 2nd unit for travel, so I saved up my Flex Spending money one year and bought one. I have a ResMed AirMini, with P10 nasal pillows (smallest/lightest option at the time), and the Pilot-24 Lite CPAP Battery to power it. With my current settings on the CPAP, I get about 2 full nights from the battery, with a little juice left over. I might be able to tweak the CPAP settings if I was determined, and get 3 full nights out of the battery.

If I was doing more backpacking, I would probably either get a 2nd battery. I kind of like the form factor of it, and the weight isn't too crazy for battery. As it is, I motorcycle camp a lot, and just plug the battery into my 12v adapter on the bike to charge while I am riding. It's usually charged by lunchtime if I plug it in first thing in the morning.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammocks Survivorman
    Tarp
    Hex fly
    Suspension
    Superior Gear
    Images
    I'm just getting started with hammock camping and haven't tried mine out yet but, when I'm car camping I take a small gel battery that is made for scooters that works great. I usually get about 4 nights out of it. I have an accessory plug directly attached to the battery and run a power inverter from that to the CPAP cord. I'm working on getting a Hennessy Hammock soon but I think I can tie up the battery on the ridge line outside of the hammock and tie the CPAP up to the ridgeline inside the hammock. Sounds a bit jankity but I think it'll work.

I'm working on a way to take a Millwaukee battery with a 12V adapter and plug it directly into the CPAP (which is also 12V). the Millwaukee batteries would be a lot easier to pack if I can make it work.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    My kit will all fit inside my mesh ridgeline organizer, although just barely. By the time I cram my phone and stuff in there too, it's pretty tight.

A gear hammock works great for this kind of stuff, and if I'm not too lazy when setting up my hammock (and if I remembered to bring it), I will set up the gear hammock next to me or on my foot end, and that works very well.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    I have a Respironics Dreamstation and a Reflex Pro, both are 12 V and draw about the same power. I have been taking them wilderness camping since 2013, the battery is about 4 pounds and will last me about 12 days .... I suspect longer but that was my longest single trip to date, had about 25% left. I am currently in the process of measuring power draw etc. on my new unit to see what power needs are, with the idea of buying a smaller battery for shorter trips.

If you haven't bought the unit yet, I suggest you check that whatever unit you do select has an available car cable. The manufacturer cable usually have an efficient controller to make sure the voltage stays where it needs to be and frees you up to use other battery sources.

Also be aware that you should forego any options (humidifier/modem/heated hose etc) to get as much run time as possible. This includes pulling the plug when not in use, there is a base draw.

Once I have this new unit nailed down, I hope to throw a recipe/formula in here for ppl to calculate there battery size needs.

Brian

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammocks Survivorman
    Tarp
    Hex fly
    Suspension
    Superior Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser51 View Post
    I have a Respironics Dreamstation and a Reflex Pro, both are 12 V and draw about the same power. I have been taking them wilderness camping since 2013, the battery is about 4 pounds and will last me about 12 days .... I suspect longer but that was my longest single trip to date, had about 25% left...
    You got a 4# battery to last 12 days! That's crazy! is that sleeping 8hrs/nights?

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch 12' Winter
    Insulation
    CRO, J'R'B
    Suspension
    Dutch web/ beetle
    At Hangcon I tried out a new lithium battery and my dreamstation machine minus the humidifier portion and was able to use the machine for 5 hours a night for 3 nights and still had 51% of the battery left. I was amazed by this little battery.

I stored the battery and machine in the peak shelf of my chameleon and wrapped the hose around the ridgeline.

Link for the battery and adapter cables.
    https://www.cpap.com/productpage/bps...ap-battery-kit
    Last edited by greyhound352; 02-21-2020 at 20:00.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    I use a medistrom Pilot 12 lipo battery with my resmed system one minus the humidifier...It is my backup system I use when camping. Its good for a night and a half. I may get another battery for longer trips. It is small and lightweight, so ideal for taking camping, although I primarily use it for short trips only, no seriously long backpack trips. I am still a bit of a noob when it comes to long distance hiking. One day I will hike more than 10 miles.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast