Images

Maroon Bells- Snowmass Wilderness Loop

Does anyone have experience with this loop? My wife and I are thinking about doing it in July. Can we utilize our Hammocks? We are from South Alabama but have backpacked out west a lot. Any suggestions?

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I can't remember if it was this particular loop, but Sintax77 on YouTube has a video of this area from a few years ago. He (they) used hammocks on their trip.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    Whoppies, Beetles
    Have done the loop three times, and as I remember it seems that a hammock would be able to be utilized in all the spots I stayed at. Just watch for widow makers.

Hammock
    HG Netted
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    HG Inc. Econ 20
    Suspension
    Tree Strap, Becket
    This trail is high on my list of places to go. It may be my one "big" trip of this calendar year. As such, I've not been, but have spent plenty of time on research.

It seems clear to me that hammock camping is very doable. There are many threads on this forum on the subject, and that seems to be the consensus.

If you're nervous about not finding hangable trees, take along a sleeping pad. At worst, you've got an extra layer of insulation while hanging. (I'd use it between my hammock and underquilt)

I'll use trekking poles with my tarp when it's hanging. So, a tarp/trekking pole shelter will be an easy conversion in a pinch.

Good luck and have an amazing adventure! And report back here when you're done!!

I have seen YT vids of people using Hammocks for this loop without issue. Also I think they may have permit system and mandatory bear canister policy in use now. Happy trails

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I have done the MB loop once (CW) and an adjacent loop (Snowmass village to Snowmass lake, to willow lake, back to Snowmass) another year. Def a must do, but certainly tough on us flat landers. (I am in MS) Regarding hammocks, certainly doable. Most campsites are well below treeline and have a ton of options for hanging. Saw several hanging at Snowmass lake last year. Really one of the most stunning places I have ever been on this Earth.

I do know a permit system is coming, may be in place this year?! And bear cans are required, but you can rent those in Aspen if you don’t want to buy. I just bought one though, as I plan to go back and just use it all the time now, it doubles as a good camp chair.

• + New Posts