Hammock
    Hennessy Hammocks Survivorman
    Tarp
    Hex fly
    Suspension
    Superior Gear
    Images

HH Survivorman for a first hammock

I have been researching hammocks for the last 6 months and I took advantage of the giftcard special HH had going on last week. I think I'm ready to purchase a hammock.

I've recently borrowed an explorer XL and a Jungle expedition XL and I'm thinking of buying a 4 season Survivorman for myself. Is this too much for a first hammock? I've been reading a lot about they can be warmer but I'm wondering if they are too warm in the summer. This may be a dumb newbie questions but is it possible to be too warm in the summer months?

I was looking at the 4season explorers but by the time I add the Hexfly I might as well get the Survivorman. Thoughts?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hex fly
    Suspension
    Superior Gear
    Images
    I've been reading a lot with the issues of using the pads and emergency blankets but, I wanted to ask, have any of you had issues with sweat collecting in the bottom layers during the summer months? I sleep pretty warm and I will use a coolmax material sleeping bag liner to help with that but I didn't know if the bottom layers with collect moisture when it's hot.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I wish I could help, but I use a 2006 UL Backpacker Classic and it does not relate to the HH newer double layer set-up.

This is a link to some early discussion on that design. Note post #16 is a reply from Tom Hennessy about the design. You might need to sent them a note asking your questions if you don't get a reply here. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...4Season-system
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hex fly
    Suspension
    Superior Gear
    Images
    I did ask them about the moisture question. They said that since their hammocks have been designed to work in hottest jungles they don't really get any feedback on moisture collecting in the bottom layer.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Interesting. I bought mine for all season use, but after several years I determined the attached bugnet was too hot during the hot/humid summer - I often prayed for a slight breeze for relief. So my HH/SuperShelter became my winter/cold weather set-up and a gathered end, 3/4 UQ, and a Fronkey style bugnet has been my go to for summer. I've used this combo for about 7+ years now and find it best meets all my needs.

If I was starting over and only putting together 1 set-up, I'd go with a gathered end, 3/4 UQ (if you are shorter than 5'10"), Sock/pod, and a Fronkey style bugnet. See my HF photo album for the simple effective sock/pod I use.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 02-23-2020 at 10:08.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doowahderek View Post
    I did ask them about the moisture question. They said that since their hammocks have been designed to work in hottest jungles they don't really get any feedback on moisture collecting in the bottom layer.
    I've been happy with the old system since 2006, though admittedly I had a learning curve in order to figure out how to use it to best advantage. I never had any moisture related problems with it, as long as I used the space blanket inside the insulation. Just speaking for myself, this change was fixing what aint broke. But maybe it is a good fix for some folks.

Hammock
    Homemade netless
    Tarp
    16ft kelty
    Suspension
    Whoopies/daisy
    My wife and I got survivorman hammocks together as our first hammocks. We're both happy with them, no issues with moisture. It's a great hammock. It comes with a removable foam insulation that fits between the layers, which was a big selling point for us. The hammock is pretty warm to about freezing, but you can still use a regular underquilt, like a trail winder or wookie, to get even lower. 20200606_102648.jpg

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hex fly
    Suspension
    Superior Gear
    Images
    Those are awesome! What suspension system are you using? I just recently switched out the ropes in my Survivorman to continuous loops and I'm using Superior Gear's suspension system.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Homemade netless
    Tarp
    16ft kelty
    Suspension
    Whoopies/daisy
    We tied a couple of carabiners onto the rope and switched the tree straps it came with for some daisy chains (I think atlas daisy chain). So it's super quick, easy and adjustable, but it's not the lightest

Hammock
    4 Season Hennessy
    Tarp
    HG The Journey
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by doowahderek View Post
    I have been researching hammocks for the last 6 months and I took advantage of the giftcard special HH had going on last week. I think I'm ready to purchase a hammock.

I've recently borrowed an explorer XL and a Jungle expedition XL and I'm thinking of buying a 4 season Survivorman for myself. Is this too much for a first hammock? I've been reading a lot about they can be warmer but I'm wondering if they are too warm in the summer. This may be a dumb newbie questions but is it possible to be too warm in the summer months?

I was looking at the 4season explorers but by the time I add the Hexfly I might as well get the Survivorman. Thoughts?
    I have the 4 Season HH... Not much difference... Hex fly silpoly be my choice... Warm temps, pull the pad out... Pad is pretty good for the colder weather... I bought the 4 Season more for winter, fall, early spring weather...

Hope you enjoy whatever you got...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast